SaltyCajun.com http://www.gclendingservices.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:15 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin_Cajun View Post
Well, when a good portion of the state budget is funded by oil royalties and the price drops roughly 75% from two years ago, of course there will be a deficit!

They are many ways to skin a cat, it all depends on who is doing the skinning....the right or the left!!!!!!!!!!

All I can say, I didn't think everyone would still be paying for that piece of *ss Vitter had years ago. Kinda like a STD, gift that keeps on giving!!!!! LOL That election had NOTHING to do with policy, all about smearing character. If his wife could forgive him, who in the hell are we to judge. Just saying.
You just hit the nail square on the head!
Old 02-12-2016, 12:34 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070

Quote:
Well, when a good portion of the state budget is funded by oil royalties and the price drops roughly 75% from two years ago, of course there will be a deficit!

They are many ways to skin a cat, it all depends on who is doing the skinning....the right or the left!!!!!!!!!!

All I can say, I didn't think everyone would still be paying for that piece of *ss Vitter had years ago. Kinda like a STD, gift that keeps on giving!!!!! LOL That election had NOTHING to do with policy, all about smearing character. If his wife could forgive him, who in the hell are we to judge. Just saying.
heard dat
Old 02-12-2016, 02:01 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Wonder how much edwards paid dardenne to stay in the race to split the vote enough for a runoff?
Old 02-12-2016, 02:41 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

There are already recall petitions being circulated to recall JBE. The new atty general is fighting him tooth and nail to make him understand that the AG is the #1 when it comes to legal matters in Louisiana, not the governor and John Kennedy and a few others have shown ways to fix the budget w/o having us taxed to death and deadly cuts being made to higher education. If he doesn't watch his Ps and Qs he can be out of office in just about as much time as it took to put him there.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:57 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Well if it's any consolation, JBE just pretty much guaranteed he'll be a 1 term governor. I still haven't listened to his entire speech, but I got he gist of it. Fear mongering to stir the uninformed. Fact of the matter is, some fairly unpopular decisions will have to be made in order to right the sinking ship that is Louisiana. I did listen to Kennedy's rebuttal, and I think he has some great ideas. I know he's been fairly vocal about the states spending problem at every opportunity for the past few years. I only wish those in charge would have heeded his warnings from the get go.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:49 PM
Flounder

Cash: 734

The poor leadership by Jindal and his inability to work with the legislature to find real solutions to our problems has left our state finances completely wrecked. Whatever governor came in would already be setup to fail. Fact is, the legislature is out of control with spending and they have no interest in stopping. Just last year, they conned the citizens into putting more spending bills under constitutional protection. And we voted to approve it. All the while, oil prices were dropping in the toilet and taking income away. Now, here we sit complaining because we don't want more taxes and we don't want cuts to education but the constitution says that we have to balance. So, where does the money come from to do this?
The last several years, there have been motions to convene a constitutional convention to try to remove out of date spending programs. Every one of those motions has been voted down by the legislature. And yet we continue to vote these same fools back into office because "they did such a good job". Looks like we are also part of the problem.
I agree with Matt that there will have to be some hard choices made to correct things. I certainly don't want any new taxes, but... I would be willing to accept a limited term tax ALONG with removal of constitutional protection for spending programs that are not vital infrastructure programs.

just my 2 cents
Old 02-12-2016, 03:50 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

We spending more than we bringing in. Oil is our gravy train, and the train is running slow. TOPS is welfare sorta, but shoulda been safe from cuts if it truly comes from the lottery. They were supposed to give teachers raises from that lottery money too. If they have to cut education, the first thing they should do is start getting rid of all these universities we got. We have way too many. Grambling, Southern, LSUA, Northwestern, etc. could all go and then no matter where you lived in the state, you would be within 75 miles of a university.

McNeese too while we are at it. Got ULL right down the road
Old 02-12-2016, 03:57 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

Quote:

Totally agree!! And which one of the people smearing him or those that didn't vote for him because of what he did hasn't done worse? Sin is sin and it doesn't matter what form it takes.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:33 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPointIsDaBomb View Post
We spending more than we bringing in. Oil is our gravy train, and the train is running slow. TOPS is welfare sorta, but shoulda been safe from cuts if it truly comes from the lottery. They were supposed to give teachers raises from that lottery money too. If they have to cut education, the first thing they should do is start getting rid of all these universities we got. We have way too many. Grambling, Southern, LSUA, Northwestern, etc. could all go and then no matter where you lived in the state, you would be within 75 miles of a university.

First they need to get one board to run the system not the 3 -4 they have now. then any university that doesn't graduate up to a certain percentage of its students in a 4 year program in 6 years time should be closed.
Example SUNO graduates 8% in 4 years and 11% in 6 years. Waste of money. If there is another university within a certain mileage and one can handle the load of both one gets closed.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:33 PM
Tripletail

Quote:

Cut all those Colleges of Ebonics and get ready for the Ferguson of the South.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:34 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
Wonder how much edwards paid dardenne to stay in the race to split the vote enough for a runoff?
I was explaining that scam to a coworker today. Boy we really **** the bed on that one as Republicans. United we stand or divided we fall.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:08 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,607

Official statement made by University of Louisiana President:

The University of Louisiana is working to mitigate the impact of the potential reduction of TOPS state scholarship funding for our students.

"The University will fulfill the state’s commitment to students for TOPS funding for the 2015-2016 academic year, including the Spring 2016 semester.

"We are working with our state legislators to come up with short- and long-term solutions for TOPS stability. We are hopeful that the upcoming legislative sessions will yield outcomes that support students and this important program.

"Our students should continue to focus on their classes. We also encourage TOPS supporters to have conversations with state legislators about the future of higher education in Louisiana.”

"The University will fulfill the state---Way to be a leader---Geaux T-Jeaux!!!

Succinct, and to the point. Very classy indeed. Well done Dr. S., well done.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:15 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,607

Quote:

McNeese should be a 2 year technical college.

ULM should be absorbed into LaTech.

Grambling and SUNO......well enough has been said.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:37 PM
Flounder

Cash: 566
Question Really??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako19 View Post
McNeese should be a 2 year technical college
Just curious, what is your reasoning behind this statement? Personal opinion or based on facts?
Old 02-12-2016, 10:04 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Wave 2200 View Post
Just curious, what is your reasoning behind this statement? Personal opinion or based on facts?
No, that is just what every single ULL graduate says because they don't want ULL to close or be impacted in any way. It doesn't matter how many people McNeese puts in the local facilities or the over $300 million economic impact that McNeese has in SWLA. Bet it has more of an impact than most of the other 4 year universities, save for ULL, LSU, and Tulane. No way SELA, NWST, ULM, or NSU have that impact.

And no way a 2 yesr technical school would have that impact. Do things need to be cut and streamlined? Yes. But there is no reason for McNeese to go to a 2 year status. You want to make cuts? How about to the ridiculous number of schools in North Louisiana with the population there is in that region. You have LSUA, Louisiana College, NWST, ULM, LA TECH, Grambling, and LSUS all in that region. Why the hell do you need so many colleges in a region with the population that it has?

More people live in the I-10 cooridor than any other part of the state. Could ULL handle the load that it would have to take on if McNeese did not offer 4 year programs? Doubt it. I read somewhere that the main region that McNeese supports has something in the realm of 300-400k people. That's plenty big enough to support a 4 year university. And McNeese has the alumni to support the university.

Cut programs if necessary, or combine programs. But there are enough reasons to maintain McNeese as a 4 year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2016, 10:29 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
No, that is just what every single ULL graduate says because they don't want ULL to close or be impacted in any way. It doesn't matter how many people McNeese puts in the local facilities or the over $300 million economic impact that McNeese has in SWLA. Bet it has more of an impact than most of the other 4 year universities, save for ULL, LSU, and Tulane. No way SELA, NWST, ULM, or NSU have that impact.

And no way a 2 yesr technical school would have that impact. Do things need to be cut and streamlined? Yes. But there is no reason for McNeese to go to a 2 year status. You want to make cuts? How about to the ridiculous number of schools in North Louisiana with the population there is in that region. You have LSUA, Louisiana College, NWST, ULM, LA TECH, Grambling, and LSUS all in that region. Why the hell do you need so many colleges in a region with the population that it has?

More people live in the I-10 cooridor than any other part of the state. Could ULL handle the load that it would have to take on if McNeese did not offer 4 year programs? Doubt it. I read somewhere that the main region that McNeese supports has something in the realm of 300-400k people. That's plenty big enough to support a 4 year university. And McNeese has the alumni to support the university.

Cut programs if necessary, or combine programs. But there are enough reasons to maintain McNeese as a 4 year.

Lot's of good points.....

Here is more.......
LaTech consistently ranks as one of the top engineering options in the country. It also offers one of only two cyber engineering schools in the country.

While McNeese does have alumni that support the school........MOST alumni of MOST Louisiana colleges are more willing to spend 15 million to buy a coaches contract out to fire him than support the education of kids or the arts.

That is just a fact.

Until we as a state become as proud of our students as we are about our student atheletes, we will never clean up the system
Old 02-12-2016, 10:52 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeddler View Post
Lot's of good points.....

Here is more.......
LaTech consistently ranks as one of the top engineering options in the country. It also offers one of only two cyber engineering schools in the country.

While McNeese does have alumni that support the school........MOST alumni of MOST Louisiana colleges are more willing to spend 15 million to buy a coaches contract out to fire him than support the education of kids or the arts.

That is just a fact.

Until we as a state become as proud of our students as we are about our student atheletes, we will never clean up the system
I've always liked art, love photography....waste of money at a university. Drop the liberal arts programs. They are a drain, and I would be willing to bet the employment rate of liberal arts graduates in their field is much lower compared to business and the sciences.

Why do you think JBE used the loss LSU football as a threat? Dude isn't stupid. He knows all these morons will be up in arms to do whatever it takes to not lose their fooseball. Those are the people that fail to realize the tigers belong to Louisiana State UNIVERSITY, a place of higher learning.

This isn't just a Louisiana problem. Just look at sports today versus 50 years ago. The best player in baseball might have made $130k a year back then. Now they might make $30 million a year. Our society as a whole puts more emphasis on sports and less on an education. Hell, they even lower the standards in some places (EBR *cough*).

A cultural change is needed, and that is not an overnight change.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:06 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

The last thing I think is that JBE is stupid......What I do think is that he beleives WE are all stupid.
I will disagree with you on what the arts brings to society. While they make less, indeed, more kids that are in band and the arts go and eventually graduate in ALL majors on ALL universties.

Full disclosure, I was a full ride music band nerd a LaTech in the early 80's.
Today, my daughter, a May graduate of UGA with TWO majors in liberal arts sees me as a greedy corporate 1%'er that does not pay my "fair share"

There is a spot for both in our universities........but we allow the atheletic departments to run as a profit generating enterprise with little to no government handouts.
But the academics we have too much government involvement. Like federally backed student loans.

If the entire university had to run as a enterprise, including sports and academia in and on the same Profit and Loss statement, things would turn around quickly.

The cultural change will happen when everyone is responsible and accountable for themselves. No parachute.......only a soft landing for those that fall...........and only one soft landing.......
Old 02-12-2016, 11:21 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,524

People were warned well in advance about John Bell Obama. All you had to do is listen to any number of radio talk shows before the election. There was alot of manipulation within the "Louisiana political machine" going on, that caused Vitter's demise. Like the OP said...it's only the beginning. Louisiana politics is alive and well! I would be first in line to sign a recall.
Old 02-13-2016, 04:38 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeddler View Post
The last thing I think is that JBE is stupid......What I do think is that he beleives WE are all stupid.
I will disagree with you on what the arts brings to society. While they make less, indeed, more kids that are in band and the arts go and eventually graduate in ALL majors on ALL universties.

Full disclosure, I was a full ride music band nerd a LaTech in the early 80's.
Today, my daughter, a May graduate of UGA with TWO majors in liberal arts sees me as a greedy corporate 1%'er that does not pay my "fair share"
Sorry to hear that. That's the kind of stuff that is a shame these days. But how many students in engineering, med, or law have that mindset? This is the kind of stuff that drives me crazy. It's a real shame when someone's child has the audacity to believe something like that abput one of their own parents, but that is what the Sanders and Clintons and Edwards of the world want.

I believe the arts are an important part of society as well, but I don't see the need for full fledged degree programs at universities. You don't have to be a music major to be in the band.

One of the metrics I always hear talked about for McNeese is the value of the degree. The Return on Investment. It is very high because the degree isn't extremely expensive, and the money that a McNeese graduate will make in a lifetime far exceeds the cost. Does anyone think that is true with a liberal arts degree such as music or dance? I sure don't. Maybe I'm wrong. But in my opinion, every program should be evaluated, and if it's not meeting a standard, get rid of it. We already have too many people out of work, and we keep graduating people from college like its an assembly line.

I say send those would-be liberal arts degree-seekers to trade school. Make em get a real trade, and then let em complain about "fair shares".

Congratulations on your daughter graduating witb 2 degrees though. Sorry to hear she thinks you don't pay your fair share. I would tell her that if she doesn't feel that way, then she can pay it for you. Afterall, you did let her live in your house for years free of charge. That has to count for some "share".