SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 11-13-2012, 03:19 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 2,856
Default Opinions

OK guys, wanted to get everyone's opinion on what is classified as a good hunt in your opinion. Reason I'm asking is that I read on various sites that a lot of people gauge a good hunt as being how fast a limit is killed. I disagree with this logic, why is this? I mean I read where people seem disappointed in their hunt because they didn't kill a limit till 8:30, what gives?? I know personally a good hunt is being outdoors with my kids, and if we kill a limit good if not that's still good. What's everyone's thoughts?
Old 11-13-2012, 03:27 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

A good hunt is any time I am in the field, whether I am killing or not. I hunted every saturday and sunday last season even though 75% of my hunts were scratches. Just enjoy being there. I aint starving where I need a pile of birds every day.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:27 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

I have to agree. Make no mistake, I don't want a scratch but if I can kill a few birds and have a good time it's all good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-13-2012, 03:31 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

A good hunt is shooting birds, period. I don't wanna be outdoors just to be outdoors. Now how many birds all depends, if your kid shoots 1 bull pintail for the wall and its the only duck of the day, that is a good hunt.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

A good hunt is a good time passed. I don't expect to smoke birds everyday and I expect I'll scratch some days. Yes I enjoy being in the blind, but I do get pretty aggravated when birds won't respond. If I don't fire a shot, 99% of the time I'll call it a bad hunt
Old 11-13-2012, 04:22 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

It's about killing birds to me. Let's face it. None of us wake up at 3 in the morning and sit in the blind when the season is closed just to b in the blind. If I don't kill nothing it's a bad hunt and I might not wanna go back tomorrow.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:39 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
It's about killing birds to me. Let's face it. None of us wake up at 3 in the morning and sit in the blind when the season is closed just to b in the blind. If I don't kill nothing it's a bad hunt and I might not wanna go back tomorrow.
That will change when you have kids old enough to Hunt with you, and you appreciate seeing that sunrise at 49 years old. When I was in my 20's, it was mostly about how many I could get on a strap. NOT ANYMORE ! Being with the kids/friends at Camp, great Food and Drink, watching your Dog and the Ducks work.....is where I am at this stage in my life. I imagine it will only get better !
Old 11-13-2012, 04:56 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,003

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMP CANARD View Post
That will change when you have kids old enough to Hunt with you, and you appreciate seeing that sunrise at 49 years old. When I was in my 20's, it was mostly about how many I could get on a strap. NOT ANYMORE ! Being with the kids/friends at Camp, great Food and Drink, watching your Dog and the Ducks work.....is where I am at this stage in my life. I imagine it will only get better !
Has a lot to do with where we hunt as well. I am fixing to turn 40. If I wake up at 3am or before, drive 20 or more miles, then make a 24 mile boat ride and then a 1.5 mile pirogue paddle to kill nothing, then I just as soon sleep in and watch the sun come up in my back yard. Not to mention the burning of many gallons of gas, oil and money to get that accomplished. When I go through all of that, I want to kill birds.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:00 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
Has a lot to do with where we hunt as well. I am fixing to turn 40. If I wake up at 3am or before, drive 20 or more miles, then make a 24 mile boat ride and then a 1.5 mile pirogue paddle to kill nothing, then I just as soon sleep in and watch the sun come up in my back yard. Not to mention the burning of many gallons of gas, oil and money to get that accomplished. When I go through all of that, I want to kill birds.
Good point. Our Marsh is a 15 minute ride down 27, then a 5 minute Boat ride. However, I do have to travel 175 miles from home to the camp.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:36 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 2,856

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMP CANARD View Post
Agreed, that's where I am in my life as well, been chasing them ducks ever since I can remember, and now at 47 years old it's more about the quality time spent with my kids. My oldest son turned 17 and my youngest son just turned 10 so these past couple years has been about time spent with them as they don't stay young very long. I also as you said appreciate the sunrises a lil more, and working the birds and letting them shoot. Fourtuntely for me I taught them both that we don't have to kill a limit every trip for it to be a success.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:40 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,952

Its all relative. Saturday we didn't fire a shot. I would co.sider that a horrible hunt. Sunday we killed 6 which when compared to Saturday, felt awesome when it really was pretty weak.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Flounder

Cash: 710

All in all, if you don't wake up early you can't scratch or get a limit. I'm only 26 and I love to go hunting wether I kill or not even tho it's always nice to kill something but I won't say I'm not going back because I didnt kill. Duck hunting is like video poker... You always brag when you win big but the story of how much money you put in to win that much never comes out. If killing a limit in thirty minutes every day of the season is fun for you it's time to find something more challenging. JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2012, 06:20 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
Oh don't get me wrong. I love campin and hangin out wit good friends. But I don't have a camp. And like said earlier, it's not worth it to me where I hunt to go all the way out there to maybe kill a few ducks. I wanna go knowing I have a chance to kill a limit. Now I will make an easy hunt in a field or lease marsh any day and be fine with a scratch lol
Old 11-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckfreak View Post
Agreed, that's where I am in my life as well, been chasing them ducks ever since I can remember, and now at 47 years old it's more about the quality time spent with my kids. My oldest son turned 17 and my youngest son just turned 10 so these past couple years has been about time spent with them as they don't stay young very long. I also as you said appreciate the sunrises a lil more, and working the birds and letting them shoot. Fourtuntely for me I taught them both that we don't have to kill a limit every trip for it to be a success.
I understand what y'all are sayin. Sunday I could have not fired a shot, as long as my dog got to retrieve birds, I woulda been happy. I'm sure it's the same watching your kids shoot and you don't even pick up a gun. That would be fulfilling. But NOBODY firing a shot, and still saying it was a good day is where we differ.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:36 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

I firmly believe it can be many things to many people......I am with the crowd that just likes to relax, watch the birds and dogs and my son and nephew.....but I'm 48 and been chasing these for at least 25 years......I started when we had thirty days and three ducks and I am blessed to have started in that time.....taught me more about the experience than the kill at an early age. Compound that with an annual reading of Ruark's "The old man and the boy" and you will likely change your ideas of a "good" day......that all being said.....I like to kill by limit and have bloody mary's by ten......but I just don't have to for it to be "good" for me.

It's not just age, it's the life experience that comes with it.....my sister lost a child four years ago.......bet she would give her last twenty years for one more with Dru.....regardless if they "kill" or not
Old 11-13-2012, 07:26 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

Just fed my dog a treat for 2 good hunts where he went above and beyond responding damn near perfect on the whistles and stuff. My tool/pet likes BBQed boudin.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352852438.430268.jpg
I enjoy a limit regardless of the time it takes to get it, no competition here for me anyways. Since day one of my first lab though, I've gotten more enjoyment out of seeing my dogs suceed than any limit I've ever shot. I will be taking my 3 yr old on his first duck hunt however and I'm certain that'll be a spectacular if I shoot 1 bird or 6. Maybe he'll get ond with my old BB gun that he now shoots.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:00 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,783

The only bad hunt I've had is, I wake up to find I left my wallet in my truck and someone decided it was a good night to dig in my truck and find it full of my paycheck around 600 bucks they were at least nice enough to leave my wallet ID etc. then we get to the marsh and my boat was running like hell then the people I was lettin borrow my canoe let it blow out on I 10 twice then once we got to exit 36 someone in my truck says Hagen there ain't no cowling on that Yamaha. I know that seems like a lot to happen in one day but McNabb can verify authenticity

PS the thieves stole my box of cigars also
Old 11-14-2012, 01:38 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,139

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.e.hagen View Post
The only bad hunt I've had is, I wake up to find I left my wallet in my truck and someone decided it was a good night to dig in my truck and find it full of my paycheck around 600 bucks they were at least nice enough to leave my wallet ID etc. then we get to the marsh and my boat was running like hell then the people I was lettin borrow my canoe let it blow out on I 10 twice then once we got to exit 36 someone in my truck says Hagen there ain't no cowling on that Yamaha. I know that seems like a lot to happen in one day but McNabb can verify authenticity

PS the thieves stole my box of cigars also
Are you some how related to iron man
Old 11-14-2012, 08:48 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG RED 1983 View Post
Are you some how related to iron man
LMAO!!!
Old 11-14-2012, 08:58 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 9,130