SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 10-12-2015, 07:26 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 792
Cheers mono vs braid and which rod

I know this has been discussed numerous times in the past and I did a search and read many of the posts, but just looking for latest info. Circumstances are: I have decided to try changing over from my Curados bait cast reels to spinning reels aka open face reels. My reasons for doing this is that two of my buds use spinning reels and they always out cast me by many yards and never backlash. I have used spinning reels before and they are not bad UNTIL a loop falls off the spool, then it's a b**ch to straighten it out.

Anyway, I recently ordered the new Shimano Stradic FK because the drag is rated at 20# vs. the CI4+ that many here use and I want to see if I can use this reel as an all around reel, i.e. specks to big reds without having to worry about being over or under powered. Now that I'm going to have a super reel, I'm trying to decide two other things (naturally): what rod to use and what line to use? I'm thinking power pro 10-15, but maybe mono is best? Also, I'm not sure about the rod because I've heard that braid will cut into the eyes on most rods. Is there a brand that doesn't happen with? I'm thinking medium so I can still horse in a 2-5 lb. fish without breaking the rod tip? Price range is negotiable cuz I just came into a little "mad money" and it's burning a hole in my pocket.

Any advice will be appreciated. Let the games begin!

Last edited by cajun bill; 10-12-2015 at 07:28 PM. Reason: add a word
Old 10-12-2015, 08:04 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,212

You can ask and ask about what is better but you will always get a bunch of opinions that may or may not mean something to you. I'm not even going to bother giving you my preferences because it about what you like and what you prefer. The only way to find out what's best (for you) is to just try different types of equipment.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:50 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,939

CB, i use 20 lb power pro on some older allstar rods. I haven't had the braid cut into any of my eyelets. I use the spinning when its windy or if i am fishing a double rig under a cork. Other than that I am using a baitcaster.

there is a casting technique i use and can cast a mile with the spinning rig and not have the double rig wrap up around the cork.

the looped line will be a problem no matter what size braid you use on a spinning reel. it happens when you reel slack line. If you hold tension on the line when reeling slack it will not happen. it also helps to occasionally make a long cast, hold tension and reel in.

a novice with a spinning reel and braid will eventually loop.

I like the braid because of durability and fish for reds and specs with the same rig. it just takes a bit longer to get a bull red or a 25 lb drum in. The braid coupled with the leaders I make, I don't have to worry about the line breaking.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:35 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 909

Dental floss and a cane pole...

I don't have a boat.. yet.. but I just run Mono on all my reels. It is so cheap I just change it probably more than I need to.

I do a lot of charters, most are using Fins windtamer, and it is nice. Honestly, I probably never try to cast as far as I possibly can, I usually aim for a spot so not sure what goes farther.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:55 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

Rods and line are subjective. I used to only fish Carrot sticks but they are no longer made and I've broken all I had. I now have Falcon, Cast away, H2O and a few customs. I really like the H2O's and my customs. It's surprising how nice a $50 H2O fishes. I now have 3 and will get more to keep as spares. For line I usually spool up 20# Power Pro. I change it when it begins to get frayed or wind knots. I think next time I'm going to try the wind tamer just to help with the wind knots issue.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:08 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

I've never had a problem with braid cutting into my eyes. But I also never go below #30, so I can't speak for anything with a smaller diameter. But I do know the power pro "slick" has a coating on it to make it a little more manageable, and add some casting distance (a few feet rather than a few yards, but this is with light bass tackle, I'm sure chunking a popping cork or 1/4 oz jig head you might get some more distance out of the slick vs the regular braid). As far as rods go, I always tie a fluoro leader to my braid main line (usually long enough to reel up through a few eyes) so the spinning rods with the "micro guides" aren't optional here since the knot gets reeled up so much. Not sure if a leader is even necessary for the salt water stuff though. As far as the line jumping off the spool the braid will help out on that by itself. As long as you don't spool it "slap full a braid" (remember the diameter on the braid is much smaller than mono, so you can fit the same amount/distance of braid on a spool with more room left on your spool). Another big no no for spinning tackle is to close the bell with the reel handle itself, this throws a little slack in your line every time. ALWAYS use your hand to close it back.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:56 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

anything with Fuji eyes will not be affected with the braid. Stick to 20-30# power pro and you'll be fine. Allstar, Falcon, Castaway (medium 7' length) are the three rod makes you want to look at($50-120 range). Those H2O rods are light and sensitive but you'll break them easily just like what happen to "I make oil" with the carrot stix. The three makes I gave you are by far the sturdiest, I've accidentally slammed them into the trolling motor several times and they didn't break. Do that with an H20, carrot, skeet reese, or abu Garcia and you're down a rod, trust me
Old 10-13-2015, 10:38 AM
Red Snapper

Of all the rods I've broken every single one was user error. Most under a dang rope cleat after unhooking a fish. My son is the worst at that. I'm sure he will pay more attention when he is paying for them. My next boat will have drop down cleats without a doubt. A few rod tips here and there. I absolutely agree on the 7' length. Since I began fishing longer rods I'll never go back. The lightness and sensitivity of the rods is the reason I like the H2O's. They fish a lot like the carrot sticks.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:23 PM
Redfish

Cash: 623

Thirty pound braid. Ugly Stik Elite. Seven foot. One piece.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:35 PM
Redfish

Cash: 581

I use 20lb power pro with a spinning rig. With braid, you can get more power in your line with a smaller diameter. I used to use 50lb, and it snapped several eyes when I hooked sharks. The sharks pull really hard, and the line doesn't break, so it just eats through the eyes and breaks your $100 or $200 pole. Better to stick to 20lb or 30lb at the most, since that won't wreck a medium to heavy rod.

Don't let anybody tell you that 20lb isn't enough. I hauled in a personal best this weekend, a 48lb bull red, on that 20lb power pro with no problem.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:47 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,087

I just asked this same question a few months back about braid and I was reluctant to change but finally did. I was breaking off too many fish with mono in tournaments. Made the swap to Power Pro super slick and won't go back now. More feel on bite and control of fish once it's on I love it. That's just my feedback of the recent change
Old 10-14-2015, 07:47 AM
Tripletail

thanks to all for your input. will take under advisement and see what Academy offers today. Still waiting for Amazon to deliver my Stradic FK.

I'm guessing I'll go with the Falcon Coastal rod, Super Slick 20# braid tied to a flouro leader with a uni knot.

By the way, I just got my Curados back from a young man in N.I. who cleans rods "on the side" for $15/reel. Haven't fished with them yet but they look and feel good. If interested call Kenny Adams at 337-967-0692.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:11 AM
Red Snapper

A word of advice on spooling braid on a regular spinning rod spool. Some will tell you to lay a backing of mono. I didn't do that at first and had issues with the line spinning on the spool on my Shimanos. It's difficult to get a good knot tied in braid that will tighten to the spool and not allow the knot slide off the line. I've made multiple loops tried every knot I know or could find online and still experienced these problems. The only way I was able to prevent it was by laying around 5 or 6 layers of mono as a backer then tying the braid to the mono and spooling the rest of the way up. This keeps the braid from spinning on the spool. I've since switched to mainly Penn Battles and they are designed for braid. They have a rubber strip built into the spool to prevent the braid from spinning on the spool. Just a word of advice. Good luck. I'm sure you will be happy with the switch.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:29 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,379

I've actually just used a strip of electrical tape on the spool then put braid. Hasn't spun on my reels since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2015, 09:49 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by paublo25 View Post
I've actually just used a strip of electrical tape on the spool then put braid. Hasn't spun on my reels since.

x2
Old 10-14-2015, 12:35 PM
Red Snapper

I'll have to give that a try.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:32 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by I make oil View Post
A word of advice on spooling braid on a regular spinning rod spool. Some will tell you to lay a backing of mono. I didn't do that at first and had issues with the line spinning on the spool on my Shimanos. It's difficult to get a good knot tied in braid that will tighten to the spool and not allow the knot slide off the line. I've made multiple loops tried every knot I know or could find online and still experienced these problems. The only way I was able to prevent it was by laying around 5 or 6 layers of mono as a backer then tying the braid to the mono and spooling the rest of the way up. This keeps the braid from spinning on the spool. I've since switched to mainly Penn Battles and they are designed for braid. They have a rubber strip built into the spool to prevent the braid from spinning on the spool. Just a word of advice. Good luck. I'm sure you will be happy with the switch.
Good advice. That's what my brother did, but I think he did it to save on the cost of braid. Bought some super slick Power Pro 20# today with a H2O Express Ethos rod. Now, all I need is for the reel to come in.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:55 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,733

Quote:

x3
Old 10-14-2015, 07:04 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

Quote:

X4
Old 10-16-2015, 12:49 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,020

Quote:

Yeah, but it get's gummy done there. Nothing wrong with it and it'll do for sure. A short backing of mono will grip wht spool and out last the tape. I use about 20 yards of PLine mono to back it then uni to uni to the braid to fill the spool.

I like Suffix Performance (not 832), FINS Windtamer is also a very good line.
I haven't had any trouble with the braid cutting it, if an eye gets damaged it may start to cut into that.