SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 983
Default Trailer Light question

when I turn on my right signal light my boat trailer back lights both flash. When I turn on my left signal neither of my rear trailer lights do anything. Both come on when I press my brakes. Where do you think the problem is? The little display lights on my adapter that plugs into my truck individually flash when either signal is turned on. Seems like it would be anywhere from my flat connector on my trailer all the way to my butt connectors going to my rear lights on my trailer. Any suggestions?
Old 05-11-2011, 06:50 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,834

almost easier to run a new set of wires than try to find a small spot where it may be nicked and corosion has set in. Check your ground and your connections at the back first though, may just need to cut em back a little and get to some clean wire.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:52 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,834

I fought with mine for a long time before I gave up and just re-ran everything. Should've just done that in the first place.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,391

I would check all connections first. Had a truck that when I turned the blinker on, it would blink super fast. Come to find out, a connection underneath the bumper had started to come apart.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:10 PM
Redfish

Cash: 899

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlincecum View Post
almost easier to run a new set of wires than try to find a small spot where it may be nicked and corosion has set in. Check your GROUND and your connections at the back first though, may just need to cut em back a little and get to some clean wire.
Here is your answer. I had the same problem and the lights, not the ground wire had a bad ground. Made a grounding strip instead of counting on the bolts to ground the lights.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 983
Default When you say...

"clean" wire, does it have to be shiny when you strip the insulation? Also, if it were simply a bad ground, wouldn't that keep the light from functioning at all?
Old 05-11-2011, 09:49 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathfinderNI View Post
"clean" wire, does it have to be shiny when you strip the insulation? Also, if it were simply a bad ground, wouldn't that keep the light from functioning at all?
Nope........also when redoing a ground put a little never seize on it
Old 05-12-2011, 05:13 AM
Redfish

Cash: 772

Just had the same problem with my trailer. My left signal was doing the same thing, so I re-mounted the ground for that light and it fixed the problem.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:21 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 685

make sure it make a good cnnnection...try scraping a lil bit of the trailer to make sure it connects securely
Old 05-12-2011, 07:39 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

I replaced my lights the other today with some new LED lights. Well the kit came with new wiring. Once I started taking off the old lights I realized how old and cracked the old wires were so I went ahead and changed out everything, since it was there. I got the LED kit from Harbor Freight for around $40. 2 lights, 2 yellow side lights, and a wiring harness with plug.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:14 AM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtretrievers View Post
Nope........also when redoing a ground put a little never seize on it
put a grinder to the metal first though to get a good clean surface, grounding is very important when working with trailer lights, I just fixed a guys lights where his trailer rusted around the middle where it bolted together, hit it good with a grinder and welded the joints to have a good ground "path" and it did the trick. To find this I got a 20' piece of wire and tied it to the ground screw on the tongue and went down the trailer while the lights on touching the wire to various places on the trailer until the lights started working. That showed me what area I was losing my ground. I second the new wires though, cheap and easy for the most part. I also have the harbor freight water proof leds and love them, no problems so far and I've had them for 2 yrs.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:41 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

I had the same problem.... DO as shawn stated, use grinder/dremel and make a "bare spot" and then ground it with a delf tapping screw and paint over it with a rustoleum type paint to match trailer.