SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 10-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,607
Default Hunting Specks

I got a goose lease in welsh this year and I was wondering if anyone has any pointers for how many decoys to put out for specks and what sort of formation to put them, how far from the blind etc...also what calls to do when...that being said I have a few dozen full body decoys and a riceland custom call that i can blow pretty well...I just have never specifically targeted only specks.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:36 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

well the only way to learn is to get out and do it..

there are different strategies for different situations and different areas..

put decs out, if somethin not working on first bunch or two, go change it up.. trial and error my friend..

funny thing is.. pay attention to the bird, they will tell you what they like and dont like...
Old 10-11-2013, 11:38 AM
Redfish

Cash: 893

my advice would be to contact russell at specklebelly hunting club. they would probably be more than willing to answer a few questions. i've been on a few hunts with them and they are pros at getting specs in. very good people to deal with.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:35 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,642

I've killed plenty with just 6 full body's. If they not cooperating change things up. Don't over call just talk back and forth with them and throw in a little extra every now and then if they start fading. When they get in close do a little more clucking and stuff like that. Be patient with them and let them get close. I think this is the biggest mistake people make maybe since they a big bird and they seem close. The more you hunt them the more you'll learn in different situations and what and what not to do.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

They have a few guys on here that hunt there and seem credible. Maybe they can help. Don't remember who they are right off hand. My best advice is to go look in fields in gueydan and welsh areas before the season opens and see how they set up. Log what the winds are like and how the birds acted as they were circling. Calling.... I like to think less is more until you understand their language.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:51 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Specks are easy birds to decoy and respond very well to calls. The most important thing is concealment and don't over call. Once they start working just give em a few clucks to turn em back. Biggest mistake I see most ppl make is to over call.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:01 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoods17 View Post
well the only way to learn is to get out and do it..

there are different strategies for different situations and different areas..

put decs out, if somethin not working on first bunch or two, go change it up.. trial and error my friend..

funny thing is.. pay attention to the bird, they will tell you what they like and dont like...
Right on point.

#1 Concealment:
Specs have keen eyes and can notice very little details. I.e. Silhouettes, holes in your blind when passing over head etc....Don't move, make sure everyone in the blinds eyes are looking at there feet the only person that should be looking is the caller. Even then the caller should only turn his head once the birds have passed and your looking at tail feathers. Learn to listen for them not look for them when you have birds working. You typically have a dialogue started with the bird anyway so you will hear them calling back at you. It doesn't matter how good your are concealed. Movement will get you busted every time.

#2 Calling
The birds will tell you what they want. If see birds far off and they arn't exactly coming your way. Make a lot of noise yodels, mixed in with two and three notes. If you see birds far off and they are coming your way. Don't get crazy. Start with some slow clucks and mix in a few two notes and 3 notes. Typically one of the birds will start talking back to you. Whatever he does you do. If he does a two note you do a two note. If they aren't taking back to you just keep giving em slow clucks. If you start seeing they are getting more excited flipping and cupping up. Start clucking faster and getting more excited also. If they start to veer off get really excited with fast clucks and double clucks. If they are not liking what your doing that day try something different. Clear sunny days you can call a lot more. Overcast and rainy days are a toss up. You just have to feel the birds out and see what they want.

#3 Set up
If you are specifically targeting geese, plow your field on both sides and plant some winter grasses. We hunt with about 15 - 20 decoys. Don't mix snow decoys with specs. I put them in groups of 4-5 about 5-10 ft. apart. I will use an x and y pattern. Put you self in the middle of the x.

Here's an example
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381514369.883816.jpg

Good Luck,
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 10-11-2013, 01:50 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed32 View Post
my advice would be to contact russell at specklebelly hunting club. they would probably be more than willing to answer a few questions. i've been on a few hunts with them and they are pros at getting specs in. very good people to deal with.
That's who I am leasing from. He said he would even come call for me to teach me but I just wanted to see what kind of info I could get before the season. Just really got the itch since it's so close!
Old 10-11-2013, 03:12 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshRat89 View Post
Right on point.

#1 Concealment:
Specs have keen eyes and can notice very little details. I.e. Silhouettes, holes in your blind when passing over head etc....Don't move, make sure everyone in the blinds eyes are looking at there feet the only person that should be looking is the caller. Even then the caller should only turn his head once the birds have passed and your looking at tail feathers. Learn to listen for them not look for them when you have birds working. You typically have a dialogue started with the bird anyway so you will hear them calling back at you. It doesn't matter how good your are concealed. Movement will get you busted every time.

#2 Calling
The birds will tell you what they want. If see birds far off and they arn't exactly coming your way. Make a lot of noise yodels, mixed in with two and three notes. If you see birds far off and they are coming your way. Don't get crazy. Start with some slow clucks and mix in a few two notes and 3 notes. Typically one of the birds will start talking back to you. Whatever he does you do. If he does a two note you do a two note. If they aren't taking back to you just keep giving em slow clucks. If you start seeing they are getting more excited flipping and cupping up. Start clucking faster and getting more excited also. If they start to veer off get really excited with fast clucks and double clucks. If they are not liking what your doing that day try something different. Clear sunny days you can call a lot more. Overcast and rainy days are a toss up. You just have to feel the birds out and see what they want.

#3 Set up
If you are specifically targeting geese, plow your field on both sides and plant some winter grasses. We hunt with about 15 - 20 decoys. Don't mix snow decoys with specs. I put them in groups of 4-5 about 5-10 ft. apart. I will use an x and y pattern. Put you self in the middle of the x.

Here's an example
Attachment 57358

Good Luck,
Scott

One more thing, face your decoys into the wind.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,783

Fish master I guide for Russel, I'm sure he told you if you need any help we will do what we can. Looks like your gettin some good advice on hear but if you have any questions you can PM me or call Russel

Old 10-11-2013, 08:13 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,440

Pick decoys up everyday. Then place them up wind of blind morning of hunt.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:06 AM
Flounder

Cash: 688
Default Specks

Do they look something like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_4534 c2.jpg (178.7 KB, 201 views)
Old 10-12-2013, 04:47 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,424

Just curious, if you don't mind sharing, how much does a goose blind cost and how did you manage to find this one? Thanks, good luck this year.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:26 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by papap View Post
Pick decoys up everyday. Then place them up wind of blind morning of hunt.
I always do that even when duck hunting on private land. It's a pain but I don't like the idea of leaving them out. And it's funny bc I actually read the other day that it's not always a good idea to put decoys upwind. But that is the only time I have ever heard that.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:27 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.e.hagen View Post
Fish master I guide for Russel, I'm sure he told you if you need any help we will do what we can. Looks like your gettin some good advice on hear but if you have any questions you can PM me or call Russel

Thanks Hagen. I just may do that.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:27 PM
Trophy Trout

Thanks for all the help fellas.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:28 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottogo49 View Post
Just curious, if you don't mind sharing, how much does a goose blind cost and how did you manage to find this one? Thanks, good luck this year.
I'll pm you.