SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 10-15-2014, 11:49 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074
Default Thinking About Adding Radar

I've done a little research and it seems I can add a radar antenna to my existing marine network for a reasonable price. I'm thinking it would be nice to have running at night which I do a lot. My question is, what will an 18" radar antenna be able to see that I can't? Will it see a log in the water? Will it see a piling sticking Up 3' above the waterline? I realize a lot has to do with how far out its aimed but how much can it tell me that I can't see for myself. I have operated enough at night to know that you can see most things in your path with a little moon light if your operating at a decent speed. Anyone have any experience using a smaller radar unit?
Old 10-16-2014, 01:59 AM
Flounder

Cash: 878

What type of unit do you have? I have a Lowrance 3G radar on my boat and love it. I got the point one atenna with the standard mapping chip and I can overlay the radar on the chart. It is very nice for running at night. What you will see depends on weather conditions. If the wind is not blowing to bad and I can turn of sea clutter I can pick up crab traps and such well before I can see them with my eyes,but you loose that with seas. Now for night running I know if there is any boats out there weather they hav lights on at night or not. I can also see boats around blind cornors with it as well as pillons and PVC pipes and such. So it does have its advantages, with it and the GPS there is not many places I wont go to try out. You will still have to limit your speed at night if you are unfamiluar with the area but you will know what is out there.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:05 AM
Tripletail

Thanks that's exactly what I wanted to know. My electronics are all Garmin so I'd have to go with a Garmin unit. I had no idea on how micro you could get with them. I'm pretty sure you can overlay the the radar on the gps like you were talking about. The fact that you can see crab cages is surprising . How far out to you typically range it?
Old 10-16-2014, 05:57 AM
Flounder

On a clear morning with no to little wind they will start popping in and out around 100 or yards out maybe more. more that enough time to to react. Garmin does have the radar and I am 99.9% positive you can over lay on it also. I have the digital radar on my boat, it is a little more expensive but it comes on right away, you don't have to wait for the tubes to warm up before you can start transmitting with it. With the gains up and sea and rain clutter turned off all as low as possible if it is more that 1-2' out the water I can pick it up from a pretty good ways out. All in all I am glad I put it on my boat.
Mark
Old 10-16-2014, 06:55 AM
Tripletail

Thanks for the info. Saw your Purebay on the Boats shoe thread. Nice ride man.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:13 PM
Redfish

Cash: 776

I am having radar installed on my new Pure Bay. Went with the 4G since my electronics are Simrad. I am so stoked about the new boat cant hardly sleep. Good thing duck season is open up here to help me pass the time until I get back down south in a couple of months.

Radar is like anything other tool. Great if used with common sense!
Old 10-16-2014, 06:28 PM
Flounder

Thanks man, I love it. I need to take some updatd pictures of it. I had a electronics box added and also got my power pole put on.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:35 PM
Tripletail

You in Idaho Steve? I lived in Wyoming for a few years. If Idaho ducks are anything like Like Wyoming ducks I bet your enjoying yourself. I almost felt guilty after a hunt in Wyoming. It was like shooting ducks at the park. We killed a limit of green heads one morning with two stuffed animals we got at a truckstop because we forgot our decoys. They are stupid up there. No pressure and they haven't been shot at for 3000 miles. They are nice and fat too. Happy hunting.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:39 PM
Redfish

Cash: 776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marque View Post
You in Idaho Steve? I lived in Wyoming for a few years. If Idaho ducks are anything like Like Wyoming ducks I bet your enjoying yourself. I almost felt guilty after a hunt in Wyoming. It was like shooting ducks at the park. We killed a limit of green heads one morning with two stuffed animals we got at a truckstop because we forgot our decoys. They are stupid up there. No pressure and they haven't been shot at for 3000 miles. They are nice and fat too. Happy hunting.
Yes I am up in Idaho right now. Ducks are pretty stupid around here at least for the first few weeks anyway.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:34 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 457

Mais I caught me some pooldeaux one time with my net but never no green head. I usuta sell dem at da courthouse in Abbeville on election day. Dey had a van dat would bring dem workers from da catfish wholesale to vote and dey all had 5$ in dey pocket. Nun of dem could resist the temptation of dem fresh pooldeaux eggs. I wonder what I coulda got for dem green heads. If dey dat stupid I bet I could catch dem wit my 10' cotton net. Where is wyomin? My momma said she thinks its by lawtell but she aint sure.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:28 PM
Tripletail

Always on the threads I start. I'm a retard magnet.