SaltyCajun.com lake Area Marine

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 07-03-2014, 10:46 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 792
Default I'm thinking an I-pilot is in my future

Did a search and found all the old posts on Ipilot and there doesn't seem to be any negatives so I'm seriously considering the 80# Riptide with the 60" shaft. I have a couple of questions: Concerning the "link" that I see offered that works with Hummingbird (I have a Lowrance, but I understand there is an adaptor for Lowrance), is the only advantage to that is to be able to follow the bottom conture? If so, I don't see much use for that in saltwater unless I might be fishing near channels, but I could see why it might be great in freshwater. Am I missing something?

Can the footpad be added later or must it be purchased at the same time? Lastly, it appears that the motor lowers itself into the water at the push of a button? If that is right, what about the pickup and storage?
Old 07-03-2014, 12:19 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 964

You can add the foot pedal later but can't combine it with the ipilot system. One or the other only.
Not sure on the adaptor but I agree for the most part the contour mapping would be more a freshwater thing.

The motor doesn't lower itself into the water. Pickup is obviously the reverse of deployment. The way the riptide series deploy is kinda awkward but you'll get used to it.
It's a great unit but I do recommend buying and extra battery(got mine on amazon). If your remote battery goes out you have no way of controlling the motor.

Also get the quick release plate minnkota makes. When you have roughly 2grand of trolling motor installed you don't want it walking off.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:38 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,686

Luckily I had battery die on the remote while home checking my boat for weekend trip. Now I carry spare in boat.
Wish I would have got the quick release mount.

Love mine but didn't pay for the link system.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:48 PM
Tripletail

visited a local TM shop today and viewed the Ipilot. Pretty nifty, but the deployment/pickup seems kind of awkward. First you have to push and push a lever then push the head forward to deploy and gently let it settle down. The pickup is the reverse as Juice Goose says. My problem would be the bending down to push/push the lever then pushing the head forward while bent over. Might be semi-okay if the lever can be pushed/pushed with a foot then push or pull the head to deploy/pickup. In a 2-3 ft. sea, that mite make for an interesting position of one's torso possibly resulting in a dunking.

When stowed, I can definitely see the need for the Ram bracket to keep the head from bouncing up and down. BTW, the dealer indicated that MK is supposed to be developing an electrical deployment/pickup system, but he doesn't expect it for a year or so.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:56 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,710

to deploy the Tm, you can use your foot to push FOWARD THEN DOWN to release the motor. It will beep once it unlocks then lift up and lower down into the water

Slight negative is you know longer have the option the HOG front of the boat when the anchor lock feature is on. It will point the bow of the boat into the wind. So you fish where the motor let's wants you too. But over all I love my ipilot
Old 07-03-2014, 09:22 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,507

I have not used my real anchor sense I bought my I-pilot. Love it.

Were did you find the information about connecting the I-polit to the lorance? I have an extra lorance that I am thinking about mounting to the front of the boat by the trollong motor and that would be an awesome addition.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2014, 09:35 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visco View Post
I have not used my real anchor sense I bought my I-pilot. Love it.

Were did you find the information about connecting the I-polit to the lorance? I have an extra lorance that I am thinking about mounting to the front of the boat by the trollong motor and that would be an awesome addition.

It was in one of the threads that I found when I searched for "Ipilot".
Old 07-03-2014, 09:37 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,507

I run the sh#@ out of mine for hours every weekend. I have two batteries and run them pretty much until they die, which is normally my sign that it is time to go in. "Knock on wood" no issues yet and have run into grass, and oysters. I need another prop due to the oyster beds. I think maybe you're under powered. I have the 112 on a 20' tidewater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun bill View Post
It was in one of the threads that I found when I searched for "Ipilot".
I will ha e to do some research on it again, thanks

Old 07-03-2014, 10:21 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
visited a local TM shop today and viewed the Ipilot. Pretty nifty, but the deployment/pickup seems kind of awkward. First you have to push and push a lever then push the head forward to deploy and gently let it settle down. The pickup is the reverse as Juice Goose says. My problem would be the bending down to push/push the lever then pushing the head forward while bent over. Might be semi-okay if the lever can be pushed/pushed with a foot then push or pull the head to deploy/pickup. In a 2-3 ft. sea, that mite make for an interesting position of one's torso possibly resulting in a dunking.

When stowed, I can definitely see the need for the Ram bracket to keep the head from bouncing up and down. BTW, the dealer indicated that MK is supposed to be developing an electrical deployment/pickup system, but he doesn't expect it for a year or so.

If you want to buy the ram mount feel free to spend your money, but I've been in some rough stuff and on rough roads and the head never has come close to hitting the hull. There is very little flex.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:02 PM
Trophy Trout

I would agree on the bouncing head. It doesnt move as much as you think. Also the deployment is easy to use with your feet to deploy. I put a rope t handle like a normal trolling motor on the head of mine. It helps n deploying some.
The self deploy would be killer

I have a 21 nautic star and the 80 is plenty. Sure 112 would be nice but a 5th battery on the boat was out of the question.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:24 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

I have the Motorguide version of the Ipilot and it's designed to work with Lowrance. I love mine and won't have a bay boat without one.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:56 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicegoose View Post
I would agree on the bouncing head. It doesnt move as much as you think. Also the deployment is easy to use with your feet to deploy. I put a rope t handle like a normal trolling motor on the head of mine. It helps n deploying some.
The self deploy would be killer

I have a 21 nautic star and the 80 is plenty. Sure 112 would be nice but a 5th battery on the boat was out of the question.
Good info, but TM shop owner claimed that the bouncing head will cause the gears in the steering box to fail. Just saying what he said, I have no reason to doubt what you guys are saying.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:14 AM
Trophy Trout

Maybe there truth to that i dont know. I didnt want more holes in deck and again the head simply doesnt move
Old 07-04-2014, 09:09 AM
Redfish

Cash: 658

The reason it's somewhat of a pain to deploy is the reason you don't need the RAM mount. I have the 112 on a 22' bay boat and can run it all day. Get one, you won't be sorry.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:02 PM
Flounder

Cash: 257

Quote:
Did a search and found all the old posts on Ipilot and there doesn't seem to be any negatives so I'm seriously considering the 80# Riptide with the 60" shaft. I have a couple of questions: Concerning the "link" that I see offered that works with Hummingbird (I have a Lowrance, but I understand there is an adaptor for Lowrance), is the only advantage to that is to be able to follow the bottom conture? If so, I don't see much use for that in saltwater unless I might be fishing near channels, but I could see why it might be great in freshwater. Am I missing something?

Can the footpad be added later or must it be purchased at the same time? Lastly, it appears that the motor lowers itself into the water at the push of a button? If that is right, what about the pickup and storage?
Sounds pretty nifty, especially the itrack feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 07-05-2014, 10:03 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 557

I have the trolling motor you are considering, but 54" shaft for $1000. Foot control and quick release mount.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:16 PM
Tripletail

OP here, getting itchy and thinking of going for it. Only question: do I need/want/should have the foot pad or is the remote adequate?
Old 07-07-2014, 09:38 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
OP here, getting itchy and thinking of going for it. Only question: do I need/want/should have the foot pad or is the remote adequate?
Forgot to ask one more question: will my quick release mount that I have on my present 3X Riptide work for the IPilot?
Old 07-07-2014, 09:42 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,686

Quote:
Forgot to ask one more question: will my quick release mount that I have on my present 3X Riptide work for the IPilot?

It won't.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:54 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,834

Quote:

remote. once you get use to it, its all good