SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs)

The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs) Discuss everything related to tackle here, including making your own

Old 01-22-2014, 05:34 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852
Default what is the truth about hook sizes

I cant seam to get a straight answer to the question of what is the difference or even if there is a difference in hook sizes from a #1 hook vs a 1/0 hook size

some hooks are described as being #1 or 1/0 hooks then some say a #1 hook is just a #1 hook and they list a 1/0 hook with different part numbers indicating they are not the same thing.

most websites don't show real actual sizes so I cant tell by looking at them what the measurements are for a 1/0 vs a #1 hook

someone told me a 1/0 is a 1/2" gap and they go up 1/4" for every 1/0 size so a 2/0 is 3/4" gap and 4/0 is a 1" gap, but im pretty sure he is completely wrong about that.

all this is very confusing because im looking into buying a jig mold and I really want to understand what the hook descriptions mean before I buy
Old 01-22-2014, 06:18 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275

generally speaking a 1/0 is just slightly larger than a #1.

IMO the standard of what is a hook's size should be set using the "most" popular type of hook... ie. mustad O'Shaughnessy.

This website pretty much answers your questions http://www.go-saltwater-fishing.com/...ook-sizes.html

but unfortunately makes it no easier in your search for a jig mold. Best way to overcome this is to determine exactly what type of hook is used in an example of what size jig your going for. Then just use the same brand and size.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:18 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceArcher View Post
generally speaking a 1/0 is just slightly larger than a #1.

IMO the standard of what is a hook's size should be set using the "most" popular type of hook... ie. mustad O'Shaughnessy.

This website pretty much answers your questions http://www.go-saltwater-fishing.com/...ook-sizes.html

but unfortunately makes it no easier in your search for a jig mold. Best way to overcome this is to determine exactly what type of hook is used in an example of what size jig your going for. Then just use the same brand and size.
ok thanks, so its the same hook size but a thinner wire shank. I figured there musta been something different.

what my goal is, is to buy some molds for both 1/8 oz and 1/4 oz jigs in a shade style head (but bullet or ball head will do if need be) that fits the heavy duty 2/0 hook shank & eye

I want that size hook for its length but also because it won't be buried inside the cocahoe bodies so it sticks out and gets more hookups. it also resists bending and is rust resistant.

this is what I want to use: http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-2-0-Eagl...item4abfec784e

I would like to find molds that make 1/8 oz and 1/4 oz jigs both using this same heavy hook shank and eye size for both.

the biggest problem I have been having is that it is not that common to find jigs to make 1/4 oz 2/0 jigs and the ones that do seam to say they must use the narrower easy to bend thinner wire hooks.

it also seams impossible to find any that make 1/8 oz jigs using a 2/0 hook

there is someone on this sight that has a company that makes jigs heads with the same large hook sizes I want to make but I prefer a different head style and to make my own and save the money.

Last edited by keakar; 01-22-2014 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:42 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275

Unfortunately i can't help in regards to molds and sizing hooks to them. Hopefully someone will read and chime in soon that will be able to answer your question.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:16 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

academy has all the jig heads you want,,,,,hogies 1/8 oz. with #4/0 gamakatsu hook....work great on 3 or 4 inch gulp shrimp ...wide gap,,, strong hook,,, stays sharp for over a limit of trout n reds....they got cheaper ones look the same but not as sharp as gamakatsu.....if you loosing that many you need to make them to save money get you some 50 or 60# braided line........
Old 01-23-2014, 05:46 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil bubba View Post
academy has all the jig heads you want,,,,,hogies 1/8 oz. with #4/0 gamakatsu hook....work great on 3 or 4 inch gulp shrimp ...wide gap,,, strong hook,,, stays sharp for over a limit of trout n reds....they got cheaper ones look the same but not as sharp as gamakatsu.....if you loosing that many you need to make them to save money get you some 50 or 60# braided line........
yes but im not willing to pay $4.99 for 5 jig heads even if they did offer the hook size I desire, heck I don't even want to pay .50 cents each so if they cant be found for around .25-.30 cents each (which I highly doubt) then I rather make then myself when jig heads can be made for around .15-.20 cents each. also I am not going to change my fishing style or the type of equipt. I use to fish with just because I pop off a few baits now and then, that's just part of what fishing light tackle is all about.

as you indicated its not like I go through them that fast so if I can make 50 or so jig heads then im good for the year and why shouldn't I make my own where I can control the hook size and mold barb style and quality? the ones you buy in stores rarely do a good job of holding on to plastic swim baits unless you buy the unpainted ones to clean up and file down the overcasting so the barbs are clean enough to grip correctly.

making your own jig heads isn't for everyone, its for those fishermen that want better quality in the hooks and barb holding power and don't mind investing a little time and effort to do it. its like a fly fisherman tying his own flies, sure he can buy em at the store but its not going to be the same quality when you get mass produced stuff off of an assembly line.

Last edited by keakar; 01-23-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:42 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,855

My personal experience with making personal choice leadhead's brought me to the first thing of importance: can I purchase the quality hook of choice @ a wholesale price and not have to purchase a gross amount of one size hook's. I've come to the conclusion that it's really not worth it to doit unless u spend the time to do large quanity's. Don't let me deter your idea of personal experience.I had to learn from experience; so good luck and good fishn.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:55 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will"E"Fish View Post
My personal experience with making personal choice leadhead's brought me to the first thing of importance: can I purchase the quality hook of choice @ a wholesale price and not have to purchase a gross amount of one size hook's. I've come to the conclusion that it's really not worth it to doit unless u spend the time to do large quanity's. Don't let me deter your idea of personal experience.I had to learn from experience; so good luck and good fishn.
well I would agree if I were going to be doing small quantities using several different hooks but that's not what im looking to do, im keeping it very specific to two jig weights using the same hooks for both.

if im just going to be making the same things I could go buy at the stores it wouldn't be worth it at all but since there are no 1/8 oz jig heads for sale with 2/0 hooks in the stores and buying "specialty" jig heads stores sell or buying them from someone else who makes them will cost a lot more then it would to make my own so that's where I am at with it.

the 1/4 oz ones aren't the issue because those can easily be found in most stores for .35-.40 cents each so yes there is no real savings to be found for making these myself unless I am already set up to pour my own jigs.

the biggest complaint I have in store bought jigs, besides hook sizes, is the barbs are never made well and are often nothing more then smooth lumps that do little to hold plastic bodies onto the jig head.

all this being said im going to do careful cost assessments of what it will take and cost to do my own before I start buying things but I am pretty sure I will find it will be pretty cost effective for what I intend to do because if I do it I do plan to buy the hooks in bulk quantities because I will only be using one type, style, and size, hook for both jig sizes.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:29 PM
Red Snapper

I guess the trick is to just find a jig mold that has the head shape and barb design I like and then enlarge the hook shank grooves & eyelets to fit the larger gage (thicker wire) hooks I want to use.

if im not mistaken they are all made from aluminum so I wouldn't think it could be that hard to modify them using a few basic tools. I just wouldnt be able to get it done by cnc machine or anything to make my own molds from scratch
Old 03-17-2014, 10:55 AM
Red Snapper

thanks to everyone for your help