SaltyCajun.com http://www.geaux-outdoors.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 09-17-2014, 12:53 PM
Ling

Cash: 5,600
Default Dudley on trout fishing

Good read. I think I can agree with most of what he says.

http://www.nola.com/outdoors/index.s...oughts_on.html
Old 09-17-2014, 12:58 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

idk if I can agree as my year is V. Bay has been one of my better years. Almost every trip has produced a limit or very close to a limit. Slowing down now that they are transitioning, but still doing ok
Old 09-17-2014, 01:16 PM
Ling

I've caught a lot of fish this year and last but I can see what he is saying. Most fish are the same size.
I use to catch limits and you would have a couple 5s a bunch of 4s and 3s.
Now they all close to the same with a couple 3s and a occasional hoss.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:17 PM
Ling

Last winter I hit p train a few times and one time I caught 30 something 2-4lb trout. Then the next few times it's all dinks.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:31 PM
Ling

This fall will be awesome all those 11inch summer trout will be 12 and people will say it's back but imo it will take another couple years to be really back with a bunch of solid fish.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:01 PM
Redfish

Cash: 581

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeff31787 View Post
idk if I can agree as my year is V. Bay has been one of my better years. Almost every trip has produced a limit or very close to a limit. Slowing down now that they are transitioning, but still doing ok
I must be fishing in the wrong spots in V. Bay if you're doing that kind of volume. We've pulled em in at Tiger Shoal and somewhat at the reefs, but no limits on trout. We've hit em on the reds on the days that the trout aren't biting too well, but not on trout.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:45 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by legallimits View Post
I must be fishing in the wrong spots in V. Bay if you're doing that kind of volume. We've pulled em in at Tiger Shoal and somewhat at the reefs, but no limits on trout. We've hit em on the reds on the days that the trout aren't biting too well, but not on trout.

Haha If you haven't been catching then yes you're in the wrong spot. Had quite a few trips where we could have filled the boat up with 2-3lb fish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2014, 04:54 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

Quote:
Originally Posted by legallimits View Post
The only thing consistent about V. Bay is that it’s inconsistent. I've been fishing it for 20 years and I would agree that this year has been less than great. The redfish bite has been decent considering the salinity levels and the water clarity but I would argue that trout in the bay itself have been nonexistent since March. The salinity level at C. Point seemed to be locked in at 1 ppt for most of the summer. I remember summers where we killed them at Diamond for weeks at a time in July but I don't even think about heading East out of the pass unless the salinity at least 5 or 6 at the point. Instead of getting that big surge of fresh water in the spring and early summer we just had a sustained flow all summer. That coupled with even the average rainfall in the summer would be enough to keep the water jacked up in the bay, but we got a lot of rain. 13" + in July, the average is 7. I know guys who work offshore that were catching trout almost 30 miles out for most of the summer in 40’ to 50’ of water. The fishing offshore was good in the Vermilion, East Cam, West Cam, especially if we had a SW or W wind for a few days but the wind seemed to be out of the East more often than not. East wind is not kind to V. Bay. I don't think anything happened to the fish other than they got knocked out of the pattern we are used to. I've been working in the Timbalier Bay since June and we have been slaughtering them under the lights since mid July. Big Trout, Little Trout, too many White Trout to count, Spanish Macks, Bull Reds, 14" Reds, Jack Crevalle, Pompano, Triple Tail, Cobia, all kinds of craziness in 8' of water. I caught 27" to 35" Bull Reds in the Bertrand Canal until mid July. They are usually out of there by the end of May. My brother caught a snapper the other day at SMI 258 or something. None of the fish are where they are supposed to be. I don't think it’s the end of the world or fishing, for that matter. They will snap out of it sooner or later. If they don't someone will figure out how to catch them. All these guides crying about no fish need to realize humans are the apex predators and not pigs at a trough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeff31787 View Post
Haha If you haven't been catching then yes you're in the wrong spot. Had quite a few trips where we could have filled the boat up with 2-3lb fish
More power to you, if you can pull off “quite a few trips” such as you described your obviously one hell of a fisherman. I haven’t figured out how to catch specks in a crawfish pond.

Last edited by Marque; 09-22-2014 at 05:31 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:08 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marque View Post
The only thing consistent about V. Bay is that it’s inconsistent. I've been fishing it for 20 years and I would agree that this year has been less than great. The redfish bite has been decent considering the salinity levels and the water clarity but I would argue that trout in the bay itself have been nonexistent since March. The salinity level at C. Point seemed to be locked in at 1 ppt for most of the summer. I remember summers where we killed them at Diamond for weeks at a time in July but I don't even think about heading East out of the pass unless the salinity at least 5 or 6 at the point. Instead of getting that big surge of fresh water in the spring and early summer we just had a sustained flow all summer. That coupled with even the average rainfall in the summer would be enough to keep the water jacked up in the bay, but we got a lot of rain. 13" + in July, the average is 7. I know guys who work offshore that were catching trout almost 30 miles out for most of the summer in 40’ to 50’ of water. The fishing offshore was good in the Vermilion, East Cam, West Cam, especially if we had a SW or W wind for a few days but the wind seemed to be out of the East more often than not. East wind is not kind to V. Bay. I don't think anything happened to the fish other than they got knocked out of the pattern we are used to. I've been working in the Timbalier Bay since June and we have been slaughtering them under the lights since mid July. Big Trout, Little Trout, too many White Trout to count, Spanish Macks, Bull Reds, 14" Reds, Jack Crevalle, Pompano, Triple Tail, Cobia, all kinds of craziness in 8' of water. I caught 27" to 35" Bull Reds in the Bertrand Canal until mid July. They are usually out of there by the end of May. My brother caught a snapper the other day at SMI 258 or something. None of the fish are where they are supposed to be. I don't think it’s the end of the world or fishing, for that matter. They will snap out of it sooner or later. If they don't someone will figure out how to catch them. All these guides crying about no fish need to realize humans are the apex predators and not pigs at a trough.

More power to you, if you can pull off “quite a few trips” such as you described your obviously one hell of a fisherman. I haven’t figured out how to catch specks in a crawfish pond.

Another limit last week lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-22-2014, 07:26 AM
Flounder

Cash: 538

Trout fishing in the reefs has been below average for sure this year. I do not consider fishing tiger shoals as fishing vbay. In my eyes I feel there is a drastic difference in saying limits in vbay vs. limits at tiger shoals.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:26 AM
Tripletail

My boat caught 6 limits last week but all on Caldwell and Tiger. There were about 2 of them that were longer than 16 inches. I wish I had your spot.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:59 AM
Ling

Cash: 505

The amount of rain we have gotten the last 2 years has hurt the fishing up around prien and lake charles also. So id assume the rain has also hurt yall on Vbay
Old 09-22-2014, 08:31 AM
Ling

I don't consider anything out of the pass v bay.

One more month and I'm going to be slangin slim all over the state.
#slapfull
#lunkersinyaface
Old 09-22-2014, 08:37 AM
Ling

Cash: 505

SHOOOOT this cold front will get em right! And itll get more duck hunters off the lake!
Old 09-22-2014, 08:41 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

TCoon is bustin a gut reading this thread. He has it printed out and laminated on the counter next to his autographed trout masters books, along with a picture of the STAR boats he sunk in the bay.

#Cove&TrashPile
Old 09-22-2014, 09:23 AM
Ling

Man I wanna quit like that reporter today and go fishing.
Wind gonna be blowing 20 the rest of week.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:10 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
TCoon is bustin a gut reading this thread. He has it printed out and laminated on the counter next to his autographed trout masters books, along with a picture of the STAR boats he sunk in the bay.

#Cove&TrashPile
Man I am out of the loop but I can only imagine. That book is number 3 on my top 5 Biggest Waste of Time List and I am a professional procrastinator. My aunt bought it for me for Christmas and I read about half up it on an airplane. Gave up after the chapter on the dude who named his boat Mr. Official. What's up with TCoon, I never run into the dude but I have heard he thinks he owns Tette Butte.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:28 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Man I am out of the loop but I can only imagine. That book is number 3 on my top 5 Biggest Waste of Time List and I am a professional procrastinator. My aunt bought it for me for Christmas and I read about half up it on an airplane. Gave up after the chapter on the dude who named his boat Mr. Official. What's up with TCoon, I never run into the dude but I have heard he thinks he owns Tette Butte.

He is a good dude IMO, I think he voices his opinion to potlickers faces instead of crying about them on the web. That's how he gets his reputation for being a so called jerk.

Go to his restaurant on Saturday or Sunday for breakfast, you'll see him. He will talk to anyone and shoot the crap with ya like you're an old buddy. He has offered to take me and my boys out a number of times, I have never taken him up on it though... I will one day.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:04 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
He is a good dude IMO, I think he voices his opinion to potlickers faces instead of crying about them on the web. That's how he gets his reputation for being a so called jerk.

Go to his restaurant on Saturday or Sunday for breakfast, you'll see him. He will talk to anyone and shoot the crap with ya like you're an old buddy. He has offered to take me and my boys out a number of times, I have never taken him up on it though... I will one day.
The guy who wrote the book made him sound like some kinda Tasmanian Devil but I guess he had to give the book some sorta entertainment value. I heard a couple of Darwin Award Winners hating on him. So that makes sense.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:16 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
The guy who wrote the book made him sound like some kinda Tasmanian Devil but I guess he had to give the book some sorta entertainment value. I heard a couple of Darwin Award Winners hating on him. So that makes sense.

Looking at his fishing style vs the croaker soakers and Paul Brown chunkers the author also fished with for the book I bet he is a bit Tasmanian devilish. The guy likes to throw triple rigs with mashed barbs, and loads his pocket with his go to plastics - he has won star twice fishing like that out of the place we love to hate.

I can't wait to be out there on a calm, cool morning with mist in the air... Those are my favorite, most successful days. A dense, zero vis fog is nice too, it keeps the potlickers out of sight!