SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:22 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
It is required to wear one with any tiller motor and to also have the little red pig tail attached too.
That was passed last year.
16' and under as I understand
Old 08-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Little View Post
16' and under as I understand
Yeah, it's not required for operation of a tiller handle boat. There may be something to do with age and tiller motors though.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Redfish

Cash: 650

I think this is a good law guys i have worked for a fire dept for the last 19 years and have seen many water related deaths do to the fact of not putting on a life jacket . I know most of us do not like change but it is for our own personal safty
Old 08-11-2009, 11:09 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

From the LDWF website. Sounds confusing...

No person shall operate a Class A or Class One motorboat with a hand tiller outboard motor in excess of ten horsepower designed to have or having an engine cut-off switch, while the engine is running and the motorboat is underway, unless:

a. The engine cut-off switch is fully functional and in operable condition; and

b. The engine cut-off switch link is attached to the operator, the operator's clothing, or if worn, the operator's personal flotation device.

The provisions of this Section shall not apply to licensed commercial fishermen operating a motorboat while engaged in commercial fishing activities. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to sailboats Engine cut-off switch - an operable emergency cut-off engine stop switch installed on a motorboat and that attaches to the motorboat operator by an engine cut-off switch link. Engine cut-off switch link the lanyard and/or cut-off device used to attach the motorboat operator to the engine cut-off switch installed on the motorboat.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:13 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

If you have a Tiller handle boat under 16 foot.........after July 1, 2010 everyone in the boat must wear a life jacket.

This law is effective July 1, 2010

All persons onboard a Class A motorboat which is being propelled by a hand tiller outboard motor shall be required to wear a USCG approved Type I, II, III, or V personal flotation device while the motorboat is underway. A handtiller outboard is described as an outboard motor that has a tiller or steering arm attached to the outboard motor to facilitate steering and does not have any mechanical assist device which is rigidly attached to the boat and used in steering the vessel, including but not limited to mechanical, hydraulic, or electronic control systems. Hand tiller outboard motor shall not mean any type of electronic trolling motor.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:13 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 649

Well rest assured that the online course is not hard @ all. The signs are a little tricky. Alot of questions about what shape & color certains buoys are. There is some really good stuff on the study course too. A little common sense goes a long way on the water.

It saved me $45 on my boat insurance.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:15 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

I have taken the Seamanship class from the Power Squadron. I am going to have to see if it will drop my insurance any.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 813

they should drop insurance if you have completed boating classes. They drop it even more if you hold your captains license.