SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:35 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535
Default Anyone Use a Chiropractor?

I've got some pretty serious constant back pain in the middle of my back. I have been thinking of gong to a chiropracter to see if I could get some relief. Basically, it just feels like my back is jammed up, stiff and tight - like it needs to be cracked to get some relief.

Any of you fellas use a chiropractor, and if so, did you get good results?
Old 05-13-2013, 08:41 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,142

Try Richey Family Chiropractic. He has an office in Crowley but goes to Kinder once a week. 337-788-0071 tell him Johnny Miller referred you. You wont regret it.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:50 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Oh gawd yes! I hurt in my upper back for a couple years, after sitting a couple hours in a deer stand I could barely get down & was miserable. Went the 1st time & I thought he broke me! Stuff cracked popped & snapped! He told me it would take several visits to get back straight, each time I felt a little better for a little longer. Went 4 Fridays in a row & haven't been back & that was 4 months ago & I feel great!

Last edited by wtretrievers; 05-13-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:53 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,142

Yeah don't let the first visit scare you. You'll hear sounds you didn't know you could make.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:27 PM
Flounder

Cash: 638

I have used one before, and I can tell you, my quality of life would not be the same if I hadn't. I had 2 separate surgeries for a herniated disc (L5S1), one my senior year of high school in '96 and the next 2 years later. When some time had passed and I woke up one morning barely able to get myself out of bed, I called my doctor again and he basically blew me off, said there was nothing else he could do, and told me to take 4 ibuprofen every 6hrs and 3 extra-strength Tylenol every 4hrs. Needless to say, I wasn't ready to do that to my insides and was pretty desperate. I had never heard anything good about a chiropractor, only bad, but I pulled out the phonebook anyway. Luckily I found the right one.

My issue with chiropractic is this: There seem to be 2 different schools of thought involving chiropractic care.

There is a lot more to chiropractic care than just the back, and there are those drs. that will want and tell you to come back twice a week for the rest of your life to avoid issues, making you dependant on their services.

Then there are the ones that work with you in order to heal/fix the problem to where you are not dependant on them for the rest of your life unless you see the need for "total health." I'm sure continued visits are needed for some cases, but not all.

I was lucky to find the right one and he taught me directly and indirectly to help myself. I learned enough from him during visits to know how to recognize when issues are arising and deal with them myself through certain techniques, etc to avoid or resolve any issues.

I haven't been back to him in over 5 years and do plenty of physical activity on a regular basis. I exceed my limits quite often (run, lift, kayak, in and out of vehicle all day, carry a 6yr old, etc), but I am able to avoid issues and haven't had more than an ache here or there since. I see my doc out on occassion when in Alexandria and thank him every time I do. Sorry, but a couple of weeks ago, he told me that business is so good, he's now having to turn down patients...but you never know.

Talk with whichever chiropractor you choose and don't be afraid to get a 2nd opinion if you aren't happy with his evaluation of your needs. If he can't help you with your condition, he will tell you. Just make sure he is teaching you something and has a plan for your treatment, not just trying to fill his books. Hope this helps.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:54 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

I had problems with my L5-S1 degeneration in the disk. My Chiropractor helped me a lot. Before he touched me he told me he wasn't adjusting me till I got an MRI. After he looked at it he concluded that chiropractic care could help me and it did. I was pretty much just like BigErn except mine didn't start bothering till I was in my 30's. It still flares up every now and again but he gave me some stretches to do and also told me to buy a wobble chair to help it out. I use the wobble chair when it acts up and get adjusted twice a year.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:15 AM
Red Snapper

Thanks
Old 05-14-2013, 07:26 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,065

i went for my neck! i had the worst headaches... after he popped it the very first time, it was like flipping a switch ALL the pain went away rite there!! every year or so i gotta go back and i look foward to it!!
Old 05-14-2013, 07:38 AM
Swordfish

Fun who do you see in Houma?
Old 05-14-2013, 09:34 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 663

Sounds like your complaints could easily be managed by a chiropractor. I am one but practice in Opelousas. You are at the age when early degenerative changes start. Chiropractic care will probably give you the relief you are looking for as well as slow down the degenerative process. It would be a good idea to evaluate your whole spine and treat accordingly. Good luck!
Old 05-14-2013, 10:19 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,200

Getting a recent MRI is very important IMO
Old 05-14-2013, 10:25 AM
Swordfish

DrBones, do you set your patients up with the "Wobble Chair". I think for myself it has helped me a good bit.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:18 PM
Red Snapper

What is a wobble chair?
Old 05-14-2013, 11:20 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 650

If you don't find a good one can help you one in Houston people travel all over to see darn good at his job good luck
Old 05-15-2013, 12:24 AM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
I had problems with my L5-S1 degeneration in the disk. My Chiropractor helped me a lot. Before he touched me he told me he wasn't adjusting me till I got an MRI. After he looked at it he concluded that chiropractic care could help me and it did. I was pretty much just like BigErn except mine didn't start bothering till I was in my 30's. It still flares up every now and again but he gave me some stretches to do and also told me to buy a wobble chair to help it out. I use the wobble chair when it acts up and get adjusted twice a year.

If your chiropractor does not ask to see a recent MRI before he even touches you...you better run. The good ones will not touch you until they find out what they're dealing with because they can actually make a bad situation worse. Back in '08 when I first started having issues with my back, I went to one for the first time as a last resort to try to just ease the pain I suffered from sciatica. Hadn't heard anything good about chiropractors, but, that was mostly from my orthopedic people. They do not like chiropractors!! He looked at my MRI to see how far along the damage was and, although he thought it was borderline as far as being able to help me, we decided to give it a shot. Three times a week for one month I got on a decompression table for 20 minutes. After those 4 weeks my pain was completely gone and it has not returned. That was the pain in my right leg, not my back, but, it stemmed from the damage in my back. My wife gets adjustments every week. I think she's hooked, but, she swears that it helps with her headaches and such. I'd definitely recommend seeing one. He could very well be the answer you're looking for. Good luck.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:26 AM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidellkid View Post
What is a wobble chair?
Has no arms or back and it just kinda hovers above the ground...seems like It's hard to sit still on one of those things because it wobbles...bigtime.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:08 AM
Flounder

Cash: 697

Had a car wreck several years ago and all I was told was I need surgery. I wasn't ready for that. I did some searching and was referred to Joe Turk in Eunice. Hes done miracles for me, and not just my back. I went every week for a little while getting everything worked out slowly. Now I go back about twice a year unless I overdo something. No medication just adjusting and electric muscle stimulation. And he'll talk hunting and fishing all day.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:35 AM
Flounder

Cash: 736

Looks like chiropractic treatments may help with your condition. Sounds like a muscle/ ligament problem to me. Don't know if really that's an indication to have an MRI. I practice in NO. You want to find someone who's gonna do a combination of physical therapy modalities, chiropractic adjustments, and muscle release type of work. I utilize active release techniques and its wonderful for soft tissue trauma. I only would consider an MRI if I suspected disc problems.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:59 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidellkid View Post
What is a wobble chair?

http://sunshineimaging.net/image/cac...33-500x500.jpg

Basically it hinges on one center point and you do different exercises to help the spacing between your disc.

Takes me about 8-10 minutes in the AM or whenever I feel by back starting to give me problems to complete them.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:04 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

[QUOTE=Salty;580360]. Hadn't heard anything good about chiropractors, but, that was mostly from my orthopedic people. They do not like chiropractors!! [QUOTE]