SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:29 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452
Default What's Your Best Trick at the Boat Ramp?

I think most of us have needed a second try at the trailer when the wind and/or tide pushed us sideways. But last year I had a few memorable ones:

good

The 90hp Merc would only go in reverse. We put in at Calcasieu Point and backed out. We had to go in reverse in a big circle back to the dock and then hand line onto the trailer.

better

Lifting a cooler out of the boat in the prep area at Calcasieu Point. The handle of the cooler broke off and I was lifting with so much force my fist flew into my nose and left me bleeding all over the parking lot.

best

I was talking about all the fish we caught with the guys at the dock. Wasn't paying attention and walked right off the dock into the water. The good folks at the dock fished me out, but were joking about it for weeks. I'm glad no one took a picture of the last two.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:37 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 2,025

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
I think most of us have needed a second try at the trailer when the wind and/or tide pushed us sideways. But last year I had a few memorable ones:

good

The 90hp Merc would only go in reverse. We put in at Calcasieu Point and backed out. We had to go in reverse in a big circle back to the dock and then hand line onto the trailer.

better

Lifting a cooler out of the boat in the prep area at Calcasieu Point. The handle of the cooler broke off and I was lifting with so much force my fist flew into my nose and left me bleeding all over the parking lot.

best

I was talking about all the fish we caught with the guys at the dock. Wasn't paying attention and walked right off the dock into the water. The good folks at the dock fished me out, but were joking about it for weeks. I'm glad no one took a picture of the last two.

That is priceless.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:39 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

I got nuthin on you!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:39 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Both involved LOW water, once at Beouf River bout 4 in the morning been frog hunting seeing tons of gators backed too far down, had to get in the water and push up the trailer while buddy pulled up

2nd time was with Superthrill down in Golden Meadow in February, tide was LOW and went off end of ramp. Figured I could get in the boat and pick up the bunks of the trailer and hold em up while he drove off. Ended up using the net to grab one of the bunks well it didn't work and the net broke. Had to strip down and push it out was cold, but next day we were fishing and he hung a beast of a trout (well over 7 lbs) right next to boat and since we had no net you know the rest of the story At least it wasn't me
Old 04-02-2012, 08:42 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post

good

better

best

, that reminded me of when I was around 14 we were going to meet up with the members of this hunting club we had just joined. I had my hat down low (was 14 so I was a tough guy) guys were sitting around outside and there was a front end loader with the bucket up between us and them and I didn't see it. Walking along and BAM! my head runs into the bucket knocked me down funny as heck
Old 04-02-2012, 09:01 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,609

Lmao thats funny. I had a friend walk off of a dock before and that is a hilarious site to see
Old 04-02-2012, 09:02 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
Both involved LOW water, once at Beouf River bout 4 in the morning been frog hunting seeing tons of gators backed too far down, had to get in the water and push up the trailer while buddy pulled up

2nd time was with Superthrill down in Golden Meadow in February, tide was LOW and went off end of ramp. Figured I could get in the boat and pick up the bunks of the trailer and hold em up while he drove off. Ended up using the net to grab one of the bunks well it didn't work and the net broke. Had to strip down and push it out was cold, but next day we were fishing and he hung a beast of a trout (well over 7 lbs) right next to boat and since we had no net you know the rest of the story At least it wasn't me
I've busted enough nets in my life and also had multiple fish on at the same time enough times, that now I don't leave home without 2 or 3 nets in the boat, and I'm thinking about getting a gaff.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:09 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

We were down at a buddy's wharf at big lake old settlement doing some night fishing. This was the best night of night fishing I ever had in my life!!!! Slung trout and reds all night! Well I had my ice chest that was full to the top with our catch sitting on top of one of those rolling ice chest with the handle in the middle. Guy was walking in front of me rolling the chests and my hands were full of rods and tackle box. He hit a bump and there went the chest! It hit on its side on the wharf and cracked open. There went the catch for the night! Back in the water they went. So mad
Old 04-02-2012, 09:20 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,609

I went fishing with a lady friend so I had no help launching the boat. I park the truck then hop in the boat and take off. As soon as we got on plane water rushes forward. No plug. Tried to force the plug in but the pressure was too great. Hauled but back to the landing and sprint to my truck to load the boat by myself. I cut everyone in line and didn't have time to explain. They prob thought I was some crazy a-hole. The boat had about a foot of water in it but at least it didn't sink.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:04 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,103

Fishing this past Saturday, and was boarded by the Coast Guard, they were checking safety stuff, and asked about throwable device, and my good friend handed the Coastie a Cast Net.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:09 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

Quote:
Originally Posted by yigodiver View Post
Fishing this past Saturday, and was boarded by the Coast Guard, they were checking safety stuff, and asked about throwable device, and my good friend handed the Coastie a Cast Net.
Lol lmbo
Old 04-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

Quote:
Originally Posted by yigodiver View Post
LMAO. Bet they didn't like that!!
Old 04-02-2012, 10:38 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,763

Lmao @ yigo! No way them coasties could keep a str8 face!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?nrn1bg
Old 04-02-2012, 02:44 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

When my wife or son fish with me I get out the boat and back the trailer in and they will run the boat on the trailer. I pull up to the dock give my wife the wheel and step off the bow and lost my ballance. I put one foot back on the boat but she was all ready backing away....

I did a split one leg on the dock the other on the boat until SPLASH in the water! She just about wet herself laughing.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:58 PM
Ling

Not at the boat ramp, but in January water was high we were riding around looking for ducks and I had to urinate. Got on front of boat and let er rip, buddy was driving and we were going into this slough and there was an old houseboat right there at the entrance. Well that houseboat was anchored to a cable that was on the other side of the slough. That cable was about 9 inches under the water so when we went over it and the slack finally got out of it, I was catapulted into the water
Cold cold cold. Shoulda left right then, but later that night same buddy busted his butt 3 times on the icy boat ramp and got soaked, ran outta gas on way back to camp, all kindsa things happened that night
Old 04-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Worse one I had was loading a 36 foot contender by hand. We had two people in the back swimming pushing the boat.....three in the front took 2 hours. Customer jumped a reef and smoked the lower units.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:22 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,628

I gotta tell on my buddy Rockfish. We are at Millers Lake in a 12' jon with a trolling motor. Springtime and its chilly. We have busted the bass. He catches one 5 3/4lb and I catch one 6 1/4lbs on back to back cast. It's getting late and we are trolling back to the landing fishing the camps. All of a sudden the boat rocks and my buddy hits the water. He grabs the side of the boat and is going to try to get back in but it will flip so he swims to the lauch. He walks up the boat ramp and I swear he looked like the Boggy Creek Monster coming out of that water with them arms held out dripping. Maybe even Squatch!! It was cold so he went to the truck while I trolled in. Priceless!!
Old 04-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,086

i witnessed a wife and husband loading a brand new skeeter 24v at the rigolets in 2009.
husband backed trailer in strait, wife put the boat on sideways....... for some reason she turned the wheel when she was 1/4 the way on the trailer and hit the throttle..... boat landed high and dry on the ramp..... nuttin but cement under it.....

there was some construction goin on at the landing, so they used 2 fork lifts to raise the boat and the husband backed the trailer under the boat........he never yelled or screamed at her; his first words were " baby, are you ok"

she just cried and cried.

it was a sight for sure.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

At Fred's on the River, we used to go sit on the patio on Sunday evenings just to witness the drunken idiocy...

One Sunday, a husband and wife pull up at the dock, she stumbles to the truck and backs it down. They had idiot sticks on the trailer and all. She did a pretty good job considering she could barely get the truck unlocked! Well, he completely missed the trailer! He pretty much dry docked that boat on the ramp. The screaming fit that followed about how stupid she was for not backing the trailer down where he told her to and how only a moron could not back a trailer sent her walking away, cussing him till she was out of sight!

After the laughter subsided, several of us helped him push the boat off of the ramp and another man loaded it! Great times at Fred's!
Old 04-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

Damn fellas! Pretty funny stories. I've been pretty careful at the launches, no stories for me....yet