SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

Old 02-25-2014, 08:19 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,749
Default New Build

I just finished this build last week. I did everything myself out of my shop. The only thing not done yet is, I will have to pull the barrel back off to have threaded for a muzzle break I already have. All the machine shops were too busy to get to it last week and I was too anxious to paint it. Ill pull the barrel back off and have it threaded later. Started off as a Savage .243 110 long action. I pulled it completely apart and installed a Shilen varmint contour 26" stainless barrel and swapped out the cheap stamped recoil lug with a 1/4" thick stainless trued one. After getting the head spacing correct I installed the action into a Choat stock with a Harris bi-pod. I epoxied the recoil lug to fit the stock. While the epoxy cured I installed a Timeney trigger and adjusted to right at 1lb pull. Dressed up the cured epoxy in the stock bed and insured everything was a good fit. Installed an EGW picatinny rail with a Millet LRS 6-25 x 56mm scope. Disassembled everything, prepped and painted the action in duracoat combat black and the stock in magpul OD green. Here's a few pics of the build. I shot it about 20 times to break in the barrel. Off of the bi-pod at 100 yds I was consistently shooting sub 1 moa groups and should tighten that up some once I spend more time with it. Im very impressed with the way it shoots and how accurate it is with off the shelf ammo.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393377500.101499.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1393377524.772484.jpg

Sent from an Apple Tree..
Old 02-26-2014, 02:22 PM
Redfish

Cash: 984

What kind of ammo are you shooting? Is it gonna be used for hunting or comp?
Old 02-26-2014, 02:30 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Great job man! You're a gunsmith or just mess with it as a hobby?
Old 02-26-2014, 06:04 PM
Red Snapper

No not a gunsmith just really turned into a gun nut the last couple years. I just did it to see how accurate of a rifle I could build. The tightest group Ive shot so far is with 95 grain winchester supreme ballistic tips. The Shilen barrel from what ive read is not very picky. I did notice the group tighten up from some cheap remmy's to the supremes. Im waiting on some better ammo to come in to try and get out 4-500 yards and see what it will do.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:04 PM
Redfish

Cash: 984

I shoot a different caliber but the best ammo i have found is the hornady superformance. I had them touching at 100 yrds.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:45 AM
Red Snapper

Ive got some 105 HPBT bergers coming in that im going to give a shot...And ill most likely start reloading for my 243 and 338LM and my buddies 308. Ive got a remmy long action that ill probably start building in a couple months.