SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:54 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 609

OK, back to original thread. I don't think any school aged American child should be forced to learn a foreign language as a requirement of his/her HS completion in our American educational system. Elective, great. Required course, no? You were spot on duck. If it becomes an issue later, run it up the school board's flag pole and contact David Vitter. I'm sure there's a handful of class action lawsuits pending already.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:56 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
If it were my son, I would challenge him to make the decision after he has studied a true history of our country (I.e. Diversity has been our backbone and strongpoint since day one). And challenge him to identify if his decision is based more on feeling like a bad a$$ for standing up, or if it's based on a true need to snuff out any patriotic words being said in a foreign language.

What better way to help someone from another country speak better English then to be able to teach them the meaning of our pledge - he may run across it later in life, and will ultimately let an opportunity slip by to actually make a difference by empowering a newcomer to this country - will he let him walk off and continue with his crappy English? Or will your son be equipped with the power and knowledge to extend his hand?

When I meet people who suck at speaking English, I help them... If you identify the problem and build a wall, you've helped it fester instead of helping to eliminate it (be the solution...)

That being said, I won't judge your boy no matter what path he chooses.
You would just have to know my boy. I havent asked him so im not sure but I wouldnt be surprised if he can already recite the pledge in spanish. He does very well in his spanish class.
It has been previously stated that he has near zero percent chance of ever having to say the pledge outside of America. That being the case I see no need for him to learn it in a foreign language. If that were the case he would need to learn ot in every language just in case. I have a very good friend that is a Hungarian immigrant. He can rattle on in his native language for hours but also speaks perfect English. He said his duty as an outsider was to mold to our society not the other way around. If all immigrants thought that way there would be no issue.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:01 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceArcher View Post
lol.. dont get all forrest gump on us now!!! (feather in the wind reference)
Who wants to be Luetenet Dan? It may suck but it beats da hell outa being Jenny.lm f ao
Old 02-23-2014, 03:34 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
Who wants to be Luetenet Dan? It may suck but it beats da hell outa being Jenny.lm f ao
Duck, Sir. It's been my experience you'll never get an intelligent response from folks like Ace as I read his responses. I won't follow him down the rabbit hole, been there, done it too many times, nothing there. I completely agreee with your sediments. I dealt with some minor issues with my 3 through high school with teachers with some wayward ideas and requirements and we always won. It is my sincere hope and desire that your Son's grade is not effected by his honorable decision.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:19 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

The problem is........it's the wrong damn lanquage.........
America is graduating 60,000 engineers a year.......China, Germany and India anywhere from 300-500,000.
It's a good chance he needs to be learning mandarin.......
Old 02-23-2014, 05:19 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincemacpaul View Post
Duck, Sir. It's been my experience you'll never get an intelligent response from folks like Ace as I read his responses. I won't follow him down the rabbit hole, been there, done it too many times, nothing there. I completely agreee with your sediments. I dealt with some minor issues with my 3 through high school with teachers with some wayward ideas and requirements and we always won. It is my sincere hope and desire that your Son's grade is not effected by his honorable decision.
Sir I will politely disagree with you in regards to Ace Archer. I have fished with the man and will never question his intelligence. He is a very intelligent and easy going guy. If you disagree with him I understand. Disagreement leads to a great conversation. Ace is someone (although we have only met once) I consider a friend. Do not make assumptions about a man you know nothing about.
I appreciate the fact that you see and understand my side of the debate but i want you to know that I do not hold disrespect of my friends in high regard. My intentions are not to make you my enemy and I hope you dont take it that way. John
Old 02-23-2014, 05:20 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275

Quote:
OK, back to original thread. I don't think any school aged American child should be forced to learn a foreign language as a requirement of his/her HS completion in our American educational system. Elective, great. Required course, no? You were spot on duck. If it becomes an issue later, run it up the school board's flag pole and contact David Vitter. I'm sure there's a handful of class action lawsuits pending already.
You will be saddened to learn that almost all states REQUIRE 2 year foreign language study for graduation then.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:24 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeddler View Post
America is graduating 60,000 engineers a year.......China, Germany and India anywhere from 300-500,000.
Yeah lets not even get started on our education system.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:27 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
Sir I will politely disagree with you in regards to Ace Archer. I have fished with the man and will never question his intelligence. He is a very intelligent and easy going guy. If you disagree with him I understand. Disagreement leads to a great conversation. Ace is someone (although we have only met once) I consider a friend. Do not make assumptions about a man you know nothing about.
I appreciate the fact that you see and understand my side of the debate but i want you to know that I do not hold disrespect of my friends in high regard. My intentions are not to make you my enemy and I hope you dont take it that way. John
Thank you,

Let me say.... Ditto.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:17 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,061

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeddler View Post
One of my friends interned at a big engineering firm in Baton Rouge recently. Said he had to work with a bunch of Indian engineers (long distance of course) and said they were terrible.

And I believe my friend was only like a sophomore at the time. He's a really freakin smart guy. Still tells ya something though.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:23 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Thank you,

Let me say.... Ditto.
Thanks for the clarity John. I hope you can understand my confusion on the direction the topic of conversation evolved to. No personal malice was intended. Have a Great Day.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:24 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:

Sounds like you never left the rabbit hole.

Good look in the new world
Old 02-23-2014, 06:30 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
You will be saddened to learn that almost all states REQUIRE 2 year foreign language study for graduation then.
I am deeply saddened and offended by it.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:32 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
Sounds like you never left the rabbit hole.

Good look in the new world
The new world?
Old 02-23-2014, 06:39 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
The new world?
You keep thinking this is your new world goooh........
Old 02-23-2014, 06:56 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

Quote:
I am deeply saddened and offended by it.
You simply cannot deny that a second lanquage is a HUGE plus in today's world.
I just spent four hours with a buddy at the Pentagon. He is the CIO of a contractor that is head of our civilian cyberintelligence......(or something like that) He is a retired 1 star general from the Air Force .......he absolutley believes our youth need to have a global outlook on thier furture.

you cannot have that without a second line of communication.

so to the orginal topic......I admire all the views......but we have bigger fish to fry........
Old 02-23-2014, 08:00 PM
Sand Trout

Hi simple. You don't have a buddy in the Pentagon, you never had this conversation and you're acting immature to make your point. You tell the truth, I'll tell the truth. I'll debate your point with you if you want to be honest.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:06 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Hi simple. You don't have a buddy in the Pentagon, you never had this conversation and you're acting immature to make your point. You tell the truth, I'll tell the truth. I'll debate your point with you if you want to be honest.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393203900.034260.jpg

You can state opinions like they're fact, but they're still subjective.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:45 PM
Sand Trout

Haha. Just as I thought my friend. My 2 bottle fed kitties just got the plumbing removed after 6 months and we're all wearing tin foil hats in my lap as they're recovering. Life is good.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:54 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Haha. Just as I thought my friend. My 2 bottle fed kitties just got the plumbing removed after 6 months and we're all wearing tin foil hats in my lap as they're recovering. Life is good.
and i just made chocolate / peanut butter / banana milk shakes for my family..... it is gonna turn us all into chocoholic's.... who live in rabbit holes.

so what are you trying to say?