SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 11-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,351
Default New hog regs

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/news/36025
Old 11-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Thanks for the info.

I am not familiar with all the "Hog" hunting/trapping regulations. Anyone know what change was made with this new regulation?
Old 11-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Redfish

Cash: 692

All they care about is protecting the bears let's trap all the bears and pigs and drop em off in pike county Illinois bet they don't last a month they will blasting em from helicopters...let's worry about managing and growing up our deer herd like every other state around us and maybe by the time my kid is grown we won't have to ever travel outside Louisiana to hunt true booners
Old 11-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdntboy09 View Post
All they care about is protecting the bears let's trap all the bears and pigs and drop em off in pike county Illinois bet they don't last a month they will blasting em from helicopters...let's worry about managing and growing up our deer herd like every other state around us and maybe by the time my kid is grown we won't have to ever travel outside Louisiana to hunt true booners
What 'they' care about is getting ahead of this feral pig problem before it gets worse and we have very liberal rules if you think about it considering the circumstances. 'They' are allowing snares now which is a great tool to catch them but there was concern about catching bears as well. 'They' went and said to heck with it, we will allow them which is a pretty bold move considering the status of the black bear. Tensas had a few feral pigs and the trappers were not allowed to use snares because of the high population of bears. I for one would not use a snare if bears were in the area because its one thing to snare a deer and be able to get it out the snare but a bear not for me

I see 'booners' come out of Louisiana every single year, our deer herd is healthy across most of the state, we can hunt in the marsh for them, bottomlands, pineywoods, cutovers, CRP, etc or drive up to Illinois and look at a corn field or a high fence ranch in Texas that Mr. Boone will not accept in his books, I will pay my money for a WMA stamp and have access to 1 million acres of public hunting land. Most of the big deer taken up there come off private land, whereas here we have 50k+ acres of excellent deer habitat in Tensas/Big Lake all public where the state record was taken If you all want to manage your own herd, buy a high fence is all I am saying, we have plenty of rules already. A doe or spike will be plenty enough of a trophy for my son's first deer
Old 11-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 913

Total bs from our WLF again. How many people out there have hog traps with 22 inch or 25 inch holes in the top to let bears out. I have having a hog trap for years and now I am in violation of a law because of bears. How stupid can this state get. Like the poster earlier said all this state cares about are bears.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by whunter29 View Post
Total bs from our WLF again. How many people out there have hog traps with 22 inch or 25 inch holes in the top to let bears out. I have having a hog trap for years and now I am in violation of a law because of bears. How stupid can this state get. Like the poster earlier said all this state cares about are bears.
All they are requiring is that you have an opening if you already have an enclosed trap. Just cut a 24" hole in the top its no big deal or if you are building a new one make it an open top trap. Most of the larger corral type traps have open tops anyways. There is zero difference in the hog catching abilities of the traps, hogs don't climb them and a bear or a deer can get out easily.

LDWF and several other agencies are combining to form a task force to try and put a dent in these hogs and keep them from getting out of control, which may already be too late. LDWF has to be a little more strict because we do have bears and this is a threatened species. If someone was to catch a bear and the bear died in the trap, it would be a legal nightmare and LDWF is just covering the bases. Many traps just sit out for a week without being checked and its one thing to have a dead pig in the trap but a bear would be bad if the press got a hold of the pics. Places like TX that have very few bears do not have to worry about mistaking a bear for a hog and can go up by helicopter and shoot every black animal they see and not have to worry about it and the vegetation is much different in west Tx compared to La. It is not sensible to take a helicopter up to shoot hogs that live in dense forest, in the marsh it would work but there are also bears that live in the marshes especially St Mary Parish. I know professional wildlife biologists who have came very close to shooting a bear thinking it was a pig.

If people would stop shooting bears illegally, the bears will come off the threatened list sooner and then a season will open on bears.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:13 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Has anyone tried the snares? I am having a big problem on some land I hunt that is river bottom and it is on a point surrounded by two rivers that I am wanting to either put out a trap or try snares ...... anyone got feed back on which is a better choice
Old 11-04-2012, 06:52 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,503

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
Has anyone tried the snares? I am having a big problem on some land I hunt that is river bottom and it is on a point surrounded by two rivers that I am wanting to either put out a trap or try snares ...... anyone got feed back on which is a better choice
both work well. good thing about snares are they are cheap and easy to put out. i catch more pigs on snares than traps. corral traps work better than single traps. thing with snares is you have to find the pigs normal trails and set up some. with a trap you put some good smelling stuff and they come to you. im trying some foot snares for hogs this year.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Sailfish

I was looking into some holdahawg snares
Old 11-04-2012, 07:15 PM
King Mackeral

yep i bought 5 of those at the outdoor expo this year. have yet to try one. i usually wait until it gets cooler to snare because pigs die easily from heat exhaustion and when they get in that snare they will go round and round until they drop. good thing about the foot snare is you take away one leg so they cant move around as much making them last longer.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Ling

Snares work really good in some cases. Sometimes when you have a big group of hogs and not all go into the trap many times they will stay around and circle the trap and this is where snares will work well. You can place the snares on the sides of the trap when they walk around the trap and catch the ones that don't go into the trap. Choot em all!
Old 11-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Sailfish

What you paid for them at expo
Old 11-04-2012, 09:07 PM
King Mackeral

think he was selling them for 85 for the basic. he sold them to me for 70 since i bought 5.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:56 PM
Sailfish

Ok, I found them for $85 also... may buy a few for hogs and also try to catch some yoties after winter
Old 11-05-2012, 05:00 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
Ok, I found them for $85 also... may buy a few for hogs and also try to catch some yoties after winter
Man, ya'll are getting hosed at those prices. Do a web search and you can find them way cheaper. I bought a dozen from a guy on South Carolina for around $30, shipping included. As far as the issue at hand, we've been setting snares for years and for someone to think this LDWF is about getting rid of the hog problem, think again. It's about $$$$$. I've never bought a license to snare or trap.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:07 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
Man, ya'll are getting hosed at those prices. Do a web search and you can find them way cheaper. I bought a dozen from a guy on South Carolina for around $30, shipping included. As far as the issue at hand, we've been setting snares for years and for someone to think this LDWF is about getting rid of the hog problem, think again. It's about $$$$$. I've never bought a license to snare or trap.

I'm so sick of people always using the "its all about the money" stick. Yeah, part of it is money, ever heard the saying "money makes the world go round". I hate it, but unfortunately, the statement is true. But to constantly argue that everything a government agency does is about money is just plain BS. Do they see the potential to increase license sales through this? Sure. Is that all this is about? No. There are several agencies that are trying hard to put a foot down on these hogs. At one time, there was a push by one agency to provide financial assistance to landowners to help control hogs. Ever think that by selling licenses, maybe they could turn around and put that money towards controlling hogs? Or some other form of wildlife management?

If it was about money, there would have been licenses for hog trapping years ago because of how big a nuisance they are.

Woohooo. Sorry bout that, rant over. Just steams me up a little when people are constantly bashing the LDWF. Sometimes I think people don't realize that if we didn't have wildlife agencies, we wouldn't have a wildlife resource like we do. Go back 60 to 80 years ago, and if no wildlife agencies are established and wildlife laws and harvests and licenses aren't established, we would have no ducks, turkeys, or white-tailed deer today. Worst thing i've ever heard is someone say "I'm not gonna risk my life for a bird" in regard to what Wildlife Agents do.

Sorry, second rant over.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:01 AM
Ling

Quote:
I don't think its a big deal that we are now required to have a TRAPping license to TRAP hogs now. What's next? Commercial fishing license to sell fish, WMA stamps to hunt on WMAS?
Old 11-05-2012, 09:44 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
hold a hog foot snares are different from other foot snares. you bury the whole mechanism. do a search. 25 dollars for a trapping license to trap hogs is acceptable to me.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:31 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 9,671

There's a poison u can get highly illegal but def works some kinda derivative of cattle feed lots of ranchers in tx use it I saw 7 hogs walk out and eat it w in 25 yds they all fell over they used this same stuff on thistlewaite email years back have to bury it w diesel and corn so just hogs eat it
Old 11-05-2012, 11:32 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 9,671

Thistlewaite wma... Autocorrect