SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:29 PM
Redfish

Cash: 669

Natural gas has more BTUs than Propane. However, you will need more pressure and volume coming from the supply line. The best thing to do for a permeant solution is to run a separate supply line from the meter with another regulator. This will slow you to increase the pressure and volume supplied to the burner. I would run a 2" supply line also as someone stated above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2015, 11:13 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juciy View Post
Natural gas has more BTUs than Propane. However, you will need more pressure and volume coming from the supply line. The best thing to do for a permeant solution is to run a separate supply line from the meter with another regulator. This will slow you to increase the pressure and volume supplied to the burner. I would run a 2" supply line also as someone stated above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Propane has about 4 times more BTU's than natural gas. And if I remember correctly, it requires about 5 times more air to get a really good flame.

This is why there not a "simple" conversion to switch from propane to Natural gas.

So if you drill out the hole to get more gas, this also requires 4 or 5 times more air to get the best flame.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:27 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

I appreciate all the helpful suggestions but I have no budget to create a new gas feed just for randomly boiling crabs once or twice a month. I think everyone can understand that is a little too much expense and trouble for "at the most" 3 or 4 boils a month.

so there will be no new gas line or anything other then plug and play solution that will fit my needs in connecting to the 1/2" gas line that ends at the back of the house. this is a 50ft 3/4" line coming from the street to the house, and then another 35ft 1/2" gas line plus 3 or 4 90's along the way after leaving that shutoff valve going up into the house, across the attic feeding the water heater and stove, and then out the back of the house. so for the most part there is little to no use of the gas supply other then the water heater so it will be like having a designated 1/2" gas line just for the burner.

keep in mind, nothing requiring involving the gas company, new lines run, or anything like that with the exception of possibly having the gas company come out and adjust my regulator to supply a little more gas pressure to the house using the same line if need be is what I am looking for, a basic plug and play solution.

the one thing that keeps rattling around in my little brain is these $300 cookers say to just hook it straight to your house gas line and don't say anything about needing dedicated lines, more pressure, or larger gas line sizes. maybe its just something you find out about later but im confused why there aren't many people claiming they don't work since we all know most people buying them will hook them up just as I am thinking of doing. I think what you guys are saying might be true but then the people selling them are not saying any of this is needed so im back and forth on this not knowing for sure.

Last edited by keakar; 03-17-2015 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:20 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,414

Our wok burners were refractory lined. They do sell set ups made of metal for that style burner. It sounds like you need to get quotes and weigh it against how many bottle refills you can get for it. I have learned the hard way that trying to do it cheap costs more in the long run.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:39 PM
Red Snapper

well at $25 a bottle its not the end of the world but it does get pricey for someone on a tight budget, but the real PITA of it is the times you are running low and may or may not have enough gas to finish the boil and you cant just stop go get another tank, come back and then restart the boil, that's just a mess and its never something you can save, its always a mess.

IIRC I get 4 boils out of a jug so price wise call it $7.50 a boil figuring in gas $ to go exchange the jugs.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:09 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
well at $25 a bottle its not the end of the world but it does get pricey for someone on a tight budget, but the real PITA of it is the times you are running low and may or may not have enough gas to finish the boil and you cant just stop go get another tank, come back and then restart the boil, that's just a mess and its never something you can save, its always a mess.

IIRC I get 4 boils out of a jug so price wise call it $7.50 a boil figuring in gas $ to go exchange the jugs.

My local walmart has propane refills for $15. You're paying too much!
Old 03-17-2015, 08:14 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

ACE in Laplace charges by the gallon , you can fill up before empty...and cheaper than what you exchanging for...
Old 03-17-2015, 09:30 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

I have propane refilled at our Uhaul store because they only charge for what you buy....I was doin the Blue Rhino swap which runs $20-25 for a 20lb bottle vs I just had 2 30lb bottles for our camper filled for around $20 for both tanks and they were completely empty
Old 03-17-2015, 10:01 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post
My local walmart has propane refills for $15. You're paying too much!
much like gasoline prices, where you are makes a big difference in the price you pay, here its $25 anywhere you go around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil bubba View Post
ACE in Laplace charges by the gallon , you can fill up before empty...and cheaper than what you exchanging for...
sounds like your from laplace too

yep, guys are super nice and always helpful, i used to always go there but lately they always started some BS about date codes and "your bottle is too old you need a new one" and whatever. I think the dragon lady is on em hard to increase sales.

I got sick of them always trying to tell you the bottle is out of date and next time they wont fill it and you have to buy a new bottle, never fails.

last time I went there in December it was the same BS, the bottle we got from WM the month before is said to be "years" out of date so they cant fill it and we need to buy a new one, so I said "fine i'll just go to WM then".

well suddenly everything was fine and they will fill it "this time" wink wink but next time you need to buy a new bottle .

they also are no more partial charges. they really are getting cheeky there now saying you pay full price no matter what level your bottle is at.

at wallyworld you just swap out and there is no sales pitch BS involved
Old 03-17-2015, 10:16 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,414

My uncle sells propane and propane accessories. He told me that for insurance purposes the exchange program only fills bottles to 13 to 15 pounds. A propane dealer fills to 18 to 20 pounds. So your paying more in more ways than one for the exchange. I only do the exchange when I have a bottle about to expire.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:25 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by saute86 View Post
My uncle sells propane and propane accessories. He told me that for insurance purposes the exchange program only fills bottles to 13 to 15 pounds. A propane dealer fills to 18 to 20 pounds. So your paying more in more ways than one for the exchange. I only do the exchange when I have a bottle about to expire.

This thread looks to be the classic bait and switch, ask for advice then discard it all and preach why his way of doing it was right all along
Old 03-18-2015, 11:08 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
This thread looks to be the classic bait and switch, ask for advice then discard it all and preach why his way of doing it was right all along
still so bored with your life you have to troll my threads I see, how pathetic
Old 03-18-2015, 12:52 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,211
Headknocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post

We call that an ASK-HOLE where I'm from. Ask for your advice and either negates it or does the complete opposite.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:22 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotLikinisAhabbit View Post
We call that an ASK-HOLE where I'm from. Ask for your advice and either negates it or does the complete opposite.
well come on and give us an example where this was done in this thread.

its called remedial reading class, sign up for it, then you will see advice was given , accepted and talked about.

more questions were asked along with other related info not originally thought about that is needed along with formulating ideas to consider those aspects. look it up in the dictionary, its called a discussion.

but then those who merely seek to criticize just for the sake of criticizing things never bother to read or understand what it is they are criticizing.

the only advice I ignored in this thread was turning my house into a commercial kitchen setup with 2" gas lines involving special gas meters, permits, inspections, and parish approval. the thread asked for how to do this on a residential house gas supply with a 1/2" connection.

not even the densest person sees this as ignoring advice simply because I choose not to do something on a large commercial scale for "occasional" boils at home.

but then neither of you cares about the truth, just the opportunity to take shots and be critical and insult others rather then offer advice or help to members.

that type of person is more suited to LA sportsman membership and not the majority here who are helpful and friendly. you guys try very hard to bring this website down and give it a bad rep.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:27 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by saute86 View Post
thanks, I didn't know that. I could be wrong but I don't think my local ace used to put more then 12 lbs. I thought that was all they were allowed to fill them.

I never gave much thought to it beyond a place that fills them at the best price so I can see its a good idea to drive farther if you need to so you know its being done right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
I have propane refilled at our Uhaul store because they only charge for what you buy....I was doin the Blue Rhino swap which runs $20-25 for a 20lb bottle vs I just had 2 30lb bottles for our camper filled for around $20 for both tanks and they were completely empty
its really strange but I never thought about it being important to shop around for propane places and I just always only looked at the price.

thank you guys for helping me see how important it is to shop around for this stuff, it just never dawned on me before how much different these places can be.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:40 PM
Red Snapper

I get mine from ace in laplace and when my tanks empty they put twenty #...Two weeks ago my tank was about 3/4 empty and they only charged for what they put in...An amerigas swapout tank is only 15 #....
Old 03-18-2015, 01:55 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
I get mine from ace in laplace and when my tanks empty they put twenty #...Two weeks ago my tank was about 3/4 empty and they only charged for what they put in...An amerigas swapout tank is only 15 #....
thanks, most times when I bring them in they are empty or close to it, good to know they do fill them all the way.

I don't mind using ace but im sick of their "tank is out of date" crap so I think i'll go to wallyworld and cherry pick the most recent dated tanks so I don't have them giving me grief over it anymore. that's the main thing that soured me on them was that BS. I go there so often for all sorts of things I should have an employee number lol.

still looking for the right "donor" grill to buy for the frame and burner attachment type so I can swap to that ring jet burner. I want to try and avoid welding so im looing for a quick bolt on swap deal yet the designs are often specific to the burner used and not easy to tell. think i'll go look at the boat show or maybe if I went to cabellas or something where I can see different versions of how they are built in person I could better figure out the one I think will take the least work to swap out.

thanks for all your help bouncing ideas around on this and thanks for everyones help in this thread (except for the two idiots)

Last edited by keakar; 03-18-2015 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:39 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,393

Quote:

I always wonder why the Amerigas felt so light when I picked them up....thanks for the insight.. I will start to fill my tanks and only swap when the tank is empty..
Old 03-18-2015, 03:32 PM
Red Snapper

I found this clip showing the 23 tip burner in action connected to a 1/2" line tapping into a 3/4" main line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfsu5Kj_THM

of course no way to tell if they made any provisions for more then the average residential line pressures for it but its still a nice video.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:56 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
I found this clip showing the 23 tip burner in action connected to a 1/2" line tapping into a 3/4" main line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfsu5Kj_THM

of course no way to tell if they made any provisions for more then the average residential line pressures for it but its still a nice video.
If you scroll down it says 1/2 in. pipe with 3/4 ball valve but the feed line looks bigger than 3/4.....