SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 07-26-2015, 08:41 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 501
Default Grand Isle / Elmers Island Tips

A group of us will be in GI this weekend an looking for some tips on the surf fishing. When, Where, Bait, Etc.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:07 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 909

Well, the best place to fish they kick you off of now. With the Yachts moving in the average land locked fisherman is having fewer places to fish around the island. Your best bet is on the 2nd half of the island and throw around the Jetties. There where tons of Dolphins killing the bite at the bridges. You think some jackass with coming in hot with their big motor can turn off a bite, a pack, gang, pod or whatever it is called of Dolphins will kill a bite. We just sat back and watched the Dolphins play for two nights, no need to get all the gear when you see 100 lines in the water and no keepers coming up. Luckily we ended up with more crabs than I bothered to count, and that was the mission of last weekend.

The camp we stay at is not on the end of the island with the Jetties, and it was really a beach trip for the family before school starts back up so I didn't venture down to that end of the island. There use to be a TON of good spots to wade, fish from the bay side, fish the rocks. Almost all are impossible to get too by land now or have been dredged out to fit bigger boat or have been filled in to make more island.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:34 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentry View Post
A group of us will be in GI this weekend an looking for some tips on the surf fishing. When, Where, Bait, Etc.
Early Mornings are my best time out there. I usually always fish the gulf side. Mainly between the shore breaker jetties and the beach or just past them, in that little valley, just have to move in and out till you find em though. Usually soft plastics(gulp, cocahoes,etc) and sometimes tip it with a piece of shrimp. If you feel like dealing with the live bait fiasco its like catching them in a barrel. Usually catch White trout, specks, reds and jacks.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:19 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,040

Early or late bite. Fish the rising or falling sides of the tide if possible. Live shrimp under cork or plastics w/ chartreuse for schoolies; topwater for bigger quality. Croakers, big cocahoes or finger mullet on a Carolina rig are an option but crabs in surf this time of year can be a hassle. Good luck...
Old 07-27-2015, 05:07 PM
Flounder

Cash: 546

I am going this weekend also. How far down the island are you saying. Like all the way to the state park or before it.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:25 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman4444 View Post
I am going this weekend also. How far down the island are you saying. Like all the way to the state park or before it.
Start at the water tower and head toward the park fishing the rock breakers.
Tides will be rising each morning till after 10 am
i would start at knee deep and throwing top waters before i could see and switch to plastics or live as soon as it's light or the top water bite stops.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:47 PM
Trophy Trout

The breakers start about 1/2 way down the island. If you can travel light you can walk down the beach and hit them all until you find fish. They don't always produce, if they did... well there would be a bunch of boats around them.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:35 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

what about the island after grand isle? "isle grand terre" island, the one with the old fort?

I see some camps there and a commercial outfit doing something but the rest of the island is still wild and looks untouched. can you go on that island and camp out with a tent or is it private or some other means restricted property?

it looks like a good place to get to by boat then get out to surf fish in peace away from the crowds and tourists so is that allowed?
Old 07-27-2015, 09:10 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

If i was going to boat somewhere to surf fish it would be to the fourchon surf by the barges
Old 07-27-2015, 09:51 PM
Trophy Trout

Boat trip? Skip Grand isle, head east to the other fishing villages.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:52 AM
Flounder

Thanks guys. I am bringing my 13 year old and I haven't really been wade fishing in a while. Hoping to get him on a few fish. So I am open to all and appreciate all your tips. Any suggestions on crabbing on the beach. I tried ring nets last time for my smaller kids but the waves just washed them things all over the place lol. Thinking about using a latern at night with a dip net and wading along the beach
Old 07-28-2015, 10:25 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

well I was thinking a quiet semi-private beach camping and fishing/crabbing with family and no crowds or neighbors around to disturb the peace and solitude of being "alone" with just the family.

that island looks like it might almost be like a private beach get away spot for those who want a tent on a beach and camp fire trip.

not all that interested in the "best" spot to fish since im sure we could manage "something" just about anywhere we went.

so does anyone know if that island is private or restricted in any way?
Old 07-28-2015, 11:47 AM
Sand Trout

We gonna be in camp around bridge side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2015, 11:53 AM
Sand Trout

Do y'all fish the plastics with corks or with out.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:17 PM
Flounder

I like to fish a gulp shrimp under a popping cork. But for bigger ones u gotta work a lil harder
Old 07-29-2015, 01:02 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,040

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentry View Post
Do y'all fish the plastics with corks or with out.

Usually will fish shrimp style plastic like DOA, Vudu, Gulp!, etc... w/ a cork to mimic trout feeding on shrimp.

Paddle tail or rat tail plastic will fish w/o a cork in single or tandem.