SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 07-29-2015, 02:07 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,834

250 SHO After every trip. Usually hook it up and let it run while I unload and clean everything else
Old 07-29-2015, 02:09 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,834

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughutchinson View Post
My boat mechanic told me to take a miracle grow feeder fill it with antifreeze and connect a hose to the end of it to the muffs and run till it not green anymore and it will remove all
The salt from your motor
Pics please
Old 07-29-2015, 02:19 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by latravcha View Post
I always run the boat with the hose connected for about 30 minutes..

I also take the motor cover off and spray it down with salt away and rinse.

"Salt away" is this something I can get a West Marine....would like to try.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:42 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,245

I have seen it there i usually use one of these two depending on what I found last time i needed more. The star brite comes with a thing that connects to the hose and bottle.

http://www.starbrite.com/item/salt-o...ctor-with-ptef

http://www.saltawayproducts.com/KitPage.htm

West marine has the salt away
Old 07-29-2015, 10:56 PM
Redfish

Cash: 893

I just rented a lift from spicers. How am I supposed to flush after every trip? I was wondering about this
Old 07-30-2015, 02:37 AM
Redfish

Cash: 719
Default Motor flushing

If you have an older outboard without a flush fitting: theflushingstick.com

Merc: get a 6" water hose protector with the spring. Leave it screwed into the flush port, trim the motor up and turn to the side, connect the water hose and flush.

The Yamaha flush port can be easily disconnected standing on the back deck. Not sure if other brands have flush ports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2015, 08:05 AM
Flounder

Cash: 616

So, most of you guys are saying to flush for 30 mins? Is that about right? I have been flushing for only 5 - 10 minutes. So, I need to flush longer?
Old 07-30-2015, 09:10 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFishKiller View Post
So, most of you guys are saying to flush for 30 mins? Is that about right? I have been flushing for only 5 - 10 minutes. So, I need to flush longer?
yes I view 30 minutes as minimum time.

think of it like this, the salt "film" has dried on the surfaces inside your motor and just wetting it doesn't make it let go, it needs time to dissolve that film in there so how long does it take salt to dissolve when you put it in standing water and don't stir it? that's about how long it takes that film to dissolve and be washed away. most times when I get home I start it on the muffs first, then by the time I unload the boat, clean the fish, take a bath, its been between 30 minutes to an hour of flushing.

when I replace my water pump and have the lower unit off the motor, I also cap the water tube in the mid section (rubber hose and an old bolt) and then I remove the thermostat cover, then I fill up the blocks water jackets until its full with used motor oil I save from oil changes that I run through an old tee shirt to filter out anything in it.. this "oil soak" neutralizes any corrosion that is in the engine that did occur and stops it in its tracks. then after sitting like that for at least and hour I uncap the water tube and let it all run out into a jug until it stops dripping. note after doing this you may see a drop or two of oil drip from lower unit water screen so keep that in mind if your park it on a concrete driveway, I just go run it in a fresh water canal afterwards to test the new impeller and flush out any remaining oil at the same time.

this does cause a little of an oil sheen at the launch for the first few minutes you run it afterwards until it washes out all the remaining oil so I wouldn't try running it in the yard or it will kill your grass. just keep it in mind so you don't think you have a problem or if you are going somewhere where environmental concerns are important.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:16 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,212

You can buy those products at Academy, which should be cheaper than West Marine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck Attack View Post
"Salt away" is this something I can get a West Marine....would like to try.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:47 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFishKiller View Post
After fishing in saltwater, I stop at the boat launch in Moss Bluff on the Calcasieu river. I leave the boat "clamped" to the trailer and back all the way down to help wash the boat trailer. I then pull up some and crank up the engine to flush out the engine.

I usually only run the engine for about 5 minutes. Cold water does not dissolve salt as good so maybe during the winter the flush time should be longer.