SaltyCajun.com http://www.matrixshad.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 04-06-2014, 09:57 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,286
Default Anyone fish for rainbow trout in Tennessee?

We are taking a family vacation to Gattlinberg and Pigeon Forge and want to catch some fresh water trout.

Any pointers that will help us?

I know traditionally they fly fish but can I use my spincaster and baitcaster?
Would I use a bait under a cork?

Talking about a fish out of water. I may look at some forums from Tennessee to find help.

Big ND Fan
Old 04-06-2014, 10:28 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Spinners work ok, I've done better with spoons. Nitecrawlers are easier. Powerbait works well for stocked fish. Spots that get lots of pressure are hard to fish successfully. Finding a spot with little or no fishing pressure is important. Throwing something different from what the trout have seen before is also important. Trout fishing is hard.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:44 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,020

I think even little tiny crank baits work.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:57 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

You should do a charter. A friend of mine went on a 9 hour fly charter for like 350 for 2 ppl. Lunch included
Old 04-07-2014, 10:15 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Go in the river across the street from the Apple Barn. I ran across a big ole snapping turtle that let you pick it up and pet it. They had some guys fly fishing for trout right there. I'm not sure if they caught or not but that snapping turtle sure was cool.

Also, the only good meal we had there was at The Old Mill Cafe. This place made everything from scratch...... even the bowls you eat out of.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:17 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

I'll also mention (having fished the Smoky mountains in three different states and the Rocky mountains in CO) that Smoky mountain trout fishing is nowhere near what it is in the Rockies. The lower elevations and warmer water temperatures are just not as conducive to growing good numbers of decent sized trout. State game commissions stock the waters to check the box, provide a tourist attraction, and a local trout fishery, but it's sort of like fishing for specks in South Carolina rather than Louisiana. There are not nearly as many fish, and they don't grow as fast. It is rare to catch a stocked trout that survived a year after stocking, and it is rare to catch a stocked trout in the smokies over 12-14" long.

Contrast that with Colorado, where even an inexperienced trout angler like me learned to quickly catch a limit almost every time. And the growing conditions in the Rockies are excellent with fish stocked in the spring typically reaching 16" and 2 lbs by the following September and routinely tipping the scales over 4 lbs the following spring. The only exceptions were in some reservoirs where the trout have reproduced naturally in such large numbers that they have overpopulated their food supply and grow a bit slower.

But even in Colorado waters, the waters above 7000 ft in elevation are much more productive than the lower elevation waters. The higher metabolic demands and lower oxygen of the lower waters reduces growth rates and trout productivity for a given amount of available forage. The existence of small mouth bass and pike and other species that thrive more in the warmer waters also tips the competitive balance away from the trout.

As much as I hate Colorado due to some civil rights issues and their weed induced folly, the trout fishing is unmatched by anything in the Smoky mountains.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:54 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

It's all about the weed man
Old 04-07-2014, 02:05 PM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
It's all about the weed man

Ha ha ha. Buzzkillington strikes again.

Spiral Out
Old 04-07-2014, 06:50 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

The creek that runs thru downtown Gburgh is / was stocked on Thur. no fishing thur, Fri am was nothing to catch your 6 on corn . public access all along the creek