SaltyCajun.com http://www.angler-products.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:31 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,439
Default Questions on starting to build a house.

The wife and I have pretty much made up our mind that we would like to build a house this year. I'm not sure where to start. I have 4 acres and a double wide right now, I plan on building beind the double wide on my property. Just not 100% sure how to start the process. Any helpful hints and contrcators to go with around the Laffayette/Maurice area would be helpful. Thanks for the info in advance.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:10 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,807

If you in Lafayette parish, go to the Planning, Zoning and Code off of Willow by the through way and they will give you a list of the stuff you have to do on Permit side of it. As far as starting the project find a contractor or if you have the time and patients self contract and sub everything out. Good luck!!
Old 01-06-2015, 07:16 PM
Redfish

Cash: 893

The best place to start would be to ask family and friends for recommendations. then go look at contractors work. verify their insurance, license, etc. and also check the courthouse to see if they have any jobsites with liens on them. also if possible talk to their subs. you can get a good feeling for the contractor from the people who work for them.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:30 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

Don't know what your looking to spend but I got a quote from a contractor in lafayette a few months ago to build on property I already own and it was over $150 per square.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:35 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Info on the permitting processshould you decide to self contract. I'd advise hiring a reputable contractor and save the headache.
http://www.lafayettela.gov/PZD/Codes...ng-Permit.aspx
Old 01-06-2015, 09:25 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

1) ask friends/ family recommendations on contractors
2) once you find a builder ask them if they can refer you to a ar****ect ( its possible they work closly with one so the process can be fairly simple)
3) involve your builder in the design of the home , if there is a particular price point or budget having them along for the ride is helpful so you dont end up with a 500k house when you only want to spend 300k ...etc
4) stay away from doing a cost plus job , ask for a fixed number with allowances for finish items , also request a detailed spec sheet or provide your builder with one. include things like type of shingles, windows, how many paint color you are allowed, type of interior trim etc. that way you hopefully avoid the old" ohhh i didnt know you wanted granite counters i only priced formica...."
5) once you decide on a builder and are about to sign a contract , make sure you include how you will make payments to builder ( 5 draws? , pre determined progress payments? AIA contract?)
6) leave your builder alone ! you hired him for a reason ( hopefully because you trust him ) let him do what he does and let him know when he needs input from you all you needs is a heads up prior to selections needing to be done
Old 01-07-2015, 09:30 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,326

If you don't already have a lender lined up, I highly recommend Abbeville Building and Loan. We have worked with several others in the past and Abbeville was by far the most helpful and easiest to work with!
Good luck! We will actually be closing on our loan something in the next week or so then it's up to Mother Nature when construction starts!
Old 01-07-2015, 12:54 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,439

Thanks for the info guys it is all very helpful. I agree with Abbeville Building & Loan myself that's who i got the loan through for the property and the double wide I'm living in now.