SaltyCajun.com http://www.ccastar.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 07-08-2014, 09:34 PM
Redfish

Cash: -1,658

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Damn you came up for air off of JAdams &€!@?

Welcome to another thread glad you could join us

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404873276.911295.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2014, 09:34 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,007

Do most guides stop at their individual limit? Or do they continue catching most of their clients fish too? I see more guides front ending their own paying clients because he knows he can catch more fish than guest and he needs those fish to make a good pile of fish.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:38 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerun View Post
Do most guides stop at their individual limit? Or do they continue catching most of their clients fish too? I see more guides front ending their own paying clients because he knows he can catch more fish than guest and he needs those fish to make a good pile of fish.
That's the problem with the "fill the box" mentality. Quality guides, like JAdams, know that it doesn't take a box full of fish to make clients happy. Some guides just don't get that and they always brag about how fast they limit. One good fish can make a trip. A great guide can provide a great trip without putting a single fish in the box.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:57 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerun View Post
Most of the time I don't fish unless I'm finding them , if I get on anchor and were hammering the trout I just net or run trolling motor and allow my people to catch most of the fish

99.99999% people who hire me want me to fish with them because I teach them things about how to fish plastics or topwater baits

I rather go fish all day and catch 10 on artificial than catch 100 on live bait , I like people to enjoy fishing not casting a red and white with a live shrimp under it
Old 07-08-2014, 09:57 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
I have to disagree somewhat with blaming it on jealousy, there is some validity to their anecdotal approach if you take the circumstances and extrapolate what was then vs what is now. I'm talking about number of fisherman, number of guides, number of days booked spread across number of guides, and number of registered boat owners (all 30 years ago vs now).

Reduced coastal land mass and other environmental impacts coupled with more and more charter opportunities have undoubtedly negatively impacted our stocks. It's hard to base everything on such concrete scientific data when 30-40 years ago it probably didn't exist as it does today. Kinda like testing radiation in tuna and blaming the levels on the meltdown in japan when not much data existed before the tsunami (exaggeration for representation).

I fully agree on basing regulations on sound scientific data, but have a hard time believing that increased harvest and decreased stocks don't relate in a linear fashion when plotted over a 40 year graph - I'd bet it would make a nice X.
Without solid stock assessments, it is hard to say.

The errant assumption behind the idea that increased fishing pressure is a problem is that the fishing related mortality is dominating the stocks. For example, since there are far fewer natural predators now than 40 years ago, humans can step in and harvest all the specks that used to get eaten by sharks, etc. In addition, since commercial restrictions have been gradually increased since the 1980s (eventually banning nets and limiting commercial fishers to hook and line) commercial harvests have plummeted from 1-2 million down to less than 100,000 pounds annually.

LDWF has commercial harvest numbers of spotted sea trout back to the 1960s and recreational harvest numbers back to 1983. There are significant annual variations in the recreational harvest numbers, but the long term trends hold constant at about 6 million pounds per year harvested recreationally, suggesting that at no time has over fishing of spotted sea trout occurred. 6 million lbs of spotted sea trout annually is below the maximum sustainable yield of the recreational fishery. Given over 4 million acres of estuary and marsh, is it surprising that LA can sustain a harvest of 6 million pounds of seatrout annually, only 1.5 lbs per acre?
Old 07-08-2014, 10:12 PM
Redfish

Cash: 724

Quote:
Most of the time I don't fish unless I'm finding them , if I get on anchor and were hammering the trout I just net or run trolling motor and allow my people to catch most of the fish

99.99999% people who hire me want me to fish with them because I teach them things about how to fish plastics or topwater baits

I rather go fish all day and catch 10 on artificial than catch 100 on live bait , I like people to enjoy fishing not casting a red and white with a live shrimp under it
You would be one of the few guides if you did this. However w; the question is do you ever put more than 15 fish that you catch in the box on any given day? Or do you throw every fish after 15 back in the water?
Old 07-08-2014, 10:19 PM
Redfish

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404875962.129748.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2014, 10:53 PM
King Mackeral

Dat's why I like bull reds and gafftops. Everyone on board can count to one. If we lose count, it's easy enough to crack the igloo and double check the count. And gafftops have no limit. We just keep tossing 'em in until there's no more room or until I'm worried about how much work it would be to clean them of if all the fillets will fit in the cabin freezer.

Back in the Colorado days, even counting to 4 (the trout limit there) got complicated, and we often had to throw all the trout in a bucket and double check the count back into the cooler. One time, with four in the boat, I only ended up with 15 fish to clean at the sink. You shoulda smelled the boat two days later when we found #16.

And I'm a math geek.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:03 PM
King Mackeral

I propose a new way of handling fishing limits in LA waters: every boat or vehicle can keep all they can fit in a 100 qt ice chest.

Regardless of species. If it fits in the cooler, you can bring it home if you want.

Louisiana has a gazillion fish out there folks. The pie is really really big, so stop worrying about other anglers getting too much and go out there and get you some!

We need to protect habitat, there is plenty of seafood for the self-harvesters and there always will be if we protect the habitat.

Maybe that should be the ad campaign: A 100 qt cooler and the slogan "Come get you some!"
Old 07-08-2014, 11:54 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Just for the record, here is what it says on pg 33 of the fishing regulatrions.

explanation of saltWater Creel & size limits
red drum (redfish) and spotted seatrout (speCKled trout)
Recreational saltwater anglers may possess a two days’ bag limit on land; however, no person
shall be in possession of fish over the daily bag limit in any one day or while fishing or while
on the water, unless that recreational saltwater angler is aboard a trawler engaged in commercial
fishing for a consecutive period of longer than 25 hours. Take or possession of red drum in
federal waters is prohibited.
off-Water BaG limit
Two days’ bag limit allowed in possession off of the water, not while fishing or in a boat.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:56 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoony View Post
You would be one of the few guides if you did this. However w; the question is do you ever put more than 15 fish that you catch in the box on any given day? Or do you throw every fish after 15 back in the water?

I don't count how many who catches nor do I care who catches what are how many ... If I have kids on board and I can place them on fish and let then catch all 30 45 or 60 I will

Law says my boat with 4 people are allowed a limit of 60 trout oVer 12inches long

Never saw a GW ask who caught what fish nor will you ever !!

Legal limit of fish is a legal limit of fish guide or no guide

It's public water being fished by licensed legal fisherman !!!

We have no story here other than a few guides who are trying to get off work quicker and sound lazy
Old 07-09-2014, 12:08 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
I don't count how many who catches nor do I care who catches what are how many ... If I have kids on board and I can place them on fish and let then catch all 30 45 or 60 I will

Law says my boat with 4 people are allowed a limit of 60 trout oVer 12 inches long.

Never saw a GW ask who caught what fish nor will you ever !!

Legal limit of fish is a legal limit of fish guide or no guide

It's public water being fished by licensed legal fisherman !!!

We have no story here other than a few guides who are trying to get off work quicker and sound lazy
Read the first 3 line on page 34 of the Fishing Regulations booklet. It says something different. Here is a link.

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/sites/d...gs_low-res.pdf
Old 07-09-2014, 06:21 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

i see why they want to push it. itll make it to where they have to catch and clean less fish, across the board. the problem here is your guide boys who are afraid to make their quota and are losing business to the ones who can. ive never had a problem with anyone keeping their limit. guides pay for a license so why wouldnt they get to keep if they choose. i can also see where theyre coming from saying that they dont even have intentions to keep the fish for themselves and only to give to the clients, but in the same breath who can say what you can do with YOUR limit. whether or not your donating it to the needy or donating it to the clients (needy) shouldnt be anyone's choice but that person. there is 721 guides in LA? did i read that right? sheet man, there were that many people on the channel on July 4th soaking skrimps under a cork.

i can see guides pushing for this though, itll make it easier on them. politicians will soak this up quick too! gonna look good for them and CCA!!
Old 07-09-2014, 06:25 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:

Agreed
Old 07-09-2014, 06:44 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePunchRex View Post
That's the problem with the "fill the box" mentality. Quality guides, like JAdams, know that it doesn't take a box full of fish to make clients happy. Some guides just don't get that and they always brag about how fast they limit. One good fish can make a trip. A great guide can provide a great trip without putting a single fish in the box.
I have to disagree with the last line. I can go out and not catch fish all by myself for free. If I'm paying a guide I'm paying him for a fish slaughter.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:53 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,569

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckingFastard View Post
i see why they want to push it. itll make it to where they have to catch and clean less fish, across the board. the problem here is your guide boys who are afraid to make their quota and are losing business to the ones who can. ive never had a problem with anyone keeping their limit. guides pay for a license so why wouldnt they get to keep if they choose. i can also see where theyre coming from saying that they dont even have intentions to keep the fish for themselves and only to give to the clients, but in the same breath who can say what you can do with YOUR limit. whether or not your donating it to the needy or donating it to the clients (needy) shouldnt be anyone's choice but that person. there is 721 guides in LA? did i read that right? sheet man, there were that many people on the channel on July 4th soaking skrimps under a cork.

i can see guides pushing for this though, itll make it easier on them. politicians will soak this up quick too! gonna look good for them and CCA!!
I agree with this, those guys are struggling and that would be 25 less trout they have to boat. Could be the difference in heading to the dock a 10:00 or having to stay til 2:00.....
Old 07-09-2014, 07:10 AM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,330

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
I have to disagree with the last line. I can go out and not catch fish all by myself for free. If I'm paying a guide I'm paying him for a fish slaughter.
This is true of some.

Every client is different. Some want fillets, some want to learn the lake, some big fish, etc.

If you are a good guide, you will ask your customer what they want and supply that.

I was like W, I fished till I found fish then put the rod down and netted, put on bait, etc. Some customers said things like "what are you doing, keep fishing we want meat". Most were content with what I was doing though.

The guide limit has been talked about for years. Don't really care one way or the other.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:19 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
This is true of some.

Every client is different. Some want fillets, some want to learn the lake, some big fish, etc.

If you are a good guide, you will ask your customer what they want and supply that.

I was like W, I fished till I found fish then put the rod down and netted, put on bait, etc. Some customers said things like "what are you doing, keep fishing we want meat". Most were content with what I was doing though.

The guide limit has been talked about for years. Don't really care one way or the other.
yea if its changed across the board it wont matter. its not like yall eat them anyway. but how will this effect your personal trips or family trips? there will have to be something that says you cant keep if youre getting paid i suppose.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:24 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Hairout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
Read the first 3 line on page 34 of the Fishing Regulations booklet. It says something different. Here is a link.

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/sites/d...gs_low-res.pdf
Don't think anyone is really worried about the 2 over 25inchs That's the biggest political stupid law ever

I spoke wth GW and biologist who agree with me on this issue

I don't measure trout unless it's close to 12inches period
Old 07-09-2014, 07:50 AM
Redfish

Quote:
Don't think anyone is really worried about the 2 over 25inchs That's the biggest political stupid law ever

I spoke wth GW and biologist who agree with me on this issue

I don't measure trout unless it's close to 12inches period
I know of a few guides who worry about the "2 over 25 inches" law, but they target big fish. They could care less about filling the box with dinks.