SaltyCajun.com http://www.stickemrods.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 06-24-2014, 09:01 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 560
Default Deer Food Plot

Im a new Deer hunter and i would like to plant a food plot for this upcoming season.. What type of plants are good for bring and keeping deer on my lease????
Old 06-24-2014, 09:12 PM
Redfish

Cash: 899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshrunner35 View Post
Im a new Deer hunter and i would like to plant a food plot for this upcoming season.. What type of plants are good for bring and keeping deer on my lease????
Some people plant iron clay peas. There's also some mixtures of seed that contain brassica, chicory, clover, turnips, kale etc. any of these are good but before you waste money in seed, take a soil sample to get tested to see which type of fertilizer to use.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:13 PM
Redfish

Personally I like the turnips because when deer season is over, you still have a good crop of turnips to pick
Old 06-25-2014, 04:58 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 975

Foodplots are just supplemental for deer. Deer are browsers, not grazers. Browse is what makes them prefer one area over another. Find your browse thin it, fertilize it. They prefer new growth. Fertilizer gives it better flavor, besides just making it grow. Deer in different areas prefer different foods. Spend a little time and learn what the ones in your area prefer.
Also, turnip are good, but they usually don't get hit until after the first or second frost, that when they turn sweet.

Last edited by DA COVE; 06-25-2014 at 05:03 AM. Reason: add
Old 06-25-2014, 07:47 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 560

Well thanks for the info!!! If I take a soil sample, were do u send it off to
Old 06-25-2014, 08:48 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

McNeely in Sulphur sales a mix called LSU that's supposed to do really well.... suppose to have been developed for our area
Old 06-25-2014, 09:39 AM
Redfish

LSU ag extension office. Should be one in parish. Usually in the parish seat.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:44 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,414

I think you can bring it to the office next to Burton coliseum.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:52 PM
Redfish

Cash: 926

You can buy a tester pretty cheap. Not saying it will be as detailed as the ag center. But it can get you pretty close.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:56 PM
Redfish

You can test yourself of course but the ag center can help you on the ins an outs of fertilizer.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:17 AM
Flounder

Cash: 641

Testers do not give you enough information to determine whether or not you need to fertilize and how much. Mixes are costly and often contain 90% cheap seeds and 10% "premium" seeds.

Take a soil sample. Scratch back the leaves and grass and use a sharp shooter to take a plug of soil. Take at least 3 per foot plot and mix them together. The Soil lab needs at least a pint of soil for a good sample. When you fill out the information on the soil test sheet list peas, clover, wheat, and anything else you would like up to 5 choices. Put me down as the agent, Robbie Hutchins and put my address rhutchins@agcenter.lsu.edu. I should get an email of your test results. After you get it email me with a phone number and I will call you and talk to you about it. I do this every day.

PS that's good advice about enhancing native browse like blackberry, dewberry, honeysuckle, etc.

Robbie aka Big Hutch
Area Forestry /Wildlife Extension Agent
Old 06-26-2014, 10:20 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Hutch View Post
Testers do not give you enough information to determine whether or not you need to fertilize and how much. Mixes are costly and often contain 90% cheap seeds and 10% "premium" seeds.

Take a soil sample. Scratch back the leaves and grass and use a sharp shooter to take a plug of soil. Take at least 3 per foot plot and mix them together. The Soil lab needs at least a pint of soil for a good sample. When you fill out the information on the soil test sheet list peas, clover, wheat, and anything else you would like up to 5 choices. Put me down as the agent, Robbie Hutchins and put my address rhutchins@agcenter.lsu.edu. I should get an email of your test results. After you get it email me with a phone number and I will call you and talk to you about it. I do this every day.

PS that's good advice about enhancing native browse like blackberry, dewberry, honeysuckle, etc.

Robbie aka Big Hutch
awesome!!
Old 06-26-2014, 06:19 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Lime trees. DuckButter done figured that one out for us.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:23 PM
Redfish

Quote:

Robbie aka Big Hutch
My grandpa was the county agent for Allen parish for years. He's retired now of course.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:23 PM
Flounder

Who was your Grandpa? He may have been before my time since I've only lived in Allen Parish for 20 years.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:28 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,393

Quote:

Robbie aka Big Hutch

Sorry maybe I missed the address in this thread....however where do I send the soil sample to be tested?
Old 06-27-2014, 03:18 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Like duckman said above, its all about the lime trees

General Discussion (Everything Else): Getting neighbors onboard with big buck mgmt - SaltyCajun.com

you are going to have to put some chicken wire around them or the rabbits will eat em all
Old 06-27-2014, 06:39 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Who was your Grandpa? He may have been before my time since I've only lived in Allen Parish for 20 years.
Frank Mougeot
Old 06-27-2014, 10:06 PM
Flounder

Bring the soil sample to your Parish LSU AgCenter Extension office. If you are in Calcasieu then it is the office out by Burton.

Robbie aka Big Hutch
Old 06-27-2014, 10:08 PM
Flounder

I never had the privilege of knowing or working with Frank. I hear good things about him and how he treated the people.

Robbie aka Big Hutch