SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:18 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,103
FlagUS Boat Trailer Lugs

Does anyone take the lugs nuts off occasionally and re-torque. I have observed rusted and stuck lugs in the past. Don't want to be in this situation on the side of the road.

If so what torque setting would you take them to and does anyone place anti-seeze in the lug bolts to prevent corrosion?

Did some research on this and some do use anti seeze and some dont recommend but reduce the torque.

Just wanting to see what all else do.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:05 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,440

Took mine off and put never seize.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:11 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

I just smear grease on the threads showing then wipe off what I can. enough stays in the grooves of the threads to keep any rust away and I use anti seize on the threads where the nut is at.

its a good practice once a year as you do your yearly maint. to break each lug nut loose and retighten it again.

I think the stories you hear about stuck lugs is people who didn't use anti seize and let the bolt threads get very rusty on them. even if they start to rust you just need to wire brush the threads to keep them clear and clean so you don't have any problems with removing the lugs. what makes them get stuck is trying to unscrew them with rust in the way that jams up in the threads.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:13 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,020

Probably anti seize and re torque 1x per year would save a lot of head aches. Mine are anti seized that's for sure.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:05 AM
Redfish

Cash: 724

A guy I trust told me it's a good idea to use anti seize when putting the lug on, then clean and lightly grease the exposed stud to prevent rust. Do this everytime the bearings get maintenance, and check to make sure the lugs are tight before and during every trip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2014, 07:40 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,054

Clean everything real good, coat splines with grease or never seize, paint clean hub with cold-galvanize, install wheel when cold gal is still wet, install nuts, wipe clean and cold gal them as well...

The grease stays on the splines where you want it, and the cold gal keeps things sealed and corrosion free .

Re-torque often, touching up as needed .

Good luck