SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 08-15-2011, 10:50 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864
Default New to Bow Hunting

Guys:

I am getting into bow hunting this year. I was given a pretty nice bow which has been shot less than 50 times. Brought it to the archery shop on Prien Lake Road to get new sights, rest, stabilizer, arrows, broadheads and release. I have shot it a few times and I seem to hit pretty accurately.

Question is this: Does anyone have or can recommend any instructional dvds on the basics of bow hunting and/or how to sight in accurately?

TIA,

Latt
Old 08-15-2011, 10:58 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Latt.....just find someone to shoot with that has some knowledge with bows.......remember! Same anchor point everytime!!!!! Move sights to where arrow is hitting, if arrows are hitting high left, move sight up & left. Dont shoot to long, shoot when you're relaxed, have seen many just shoot till they are plum wore down & arrows flying everywhere & not grouping, you'll get frustrated quick. Shoot a few times put it down & come back a while later shoot a few more.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:34 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

I started 2 yrs ago and love it although I have not had the chance to sling an arrow at an animal I do enjoy going home and being able to shoot in my back yrd. The guy you took it to is Danny and he is pretty sharp and you can get a lot of knowledge from him if you catch him in the right mood as he is alittle moody.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:12 AM
Banned

Go to archerytalk.com. Anything and everything you have a question about or need is on that site. Search "paper tuning" and "walk back tuning" or start a thread with any questions you may have.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:49 AM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,322

What WT said. Find someone to shoot with. Start at about 10 yards and move out to 30. Practice shooting out of your stand. Your limbs may hit the stand.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
What WT said. Find someone to shoot with. Start at about 10 yards and move out to 30. Practice shooting out of your stand. Your limbs may hit the stand.
Somthing else I have tried to do is after I know my bow is sighted in and I have shot a few days I will move out 50-70 yrds and shoot, this is not a real likely situation in the woods but after shooting that far and being able to hit consistent it makes a 20-30 yrd shot somthing you can do with your eyes closed
Old 08-16-2011, 12:37 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

I am fairly new to bow hunting myself. Have only killed hogs so far,no deer yet. Practice practice practice! Setup a stand in a tree and shoot every angle you can imagine. Shooting on the ground is good,but it is a totally different ball game sitting in a tree. Good luck!
Old 08-16-2011, 12:53 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Something else......in the real situation it will be your 1st Shot that normally counts even though I shoot day in & day out, I will get up in the morning get ready for work & just before I'm ready to leave I'll walk out the back door & sling one arrow & off to work
Old 08-16-2011, 01:37 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,449

Where is a good archery shop with good staff near Lafayette to get my bow worked on (new string, arrows cut, accessories, etc.)?
Old 08-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Bayouland Bowhunters 908 Ridge Rd in Duson...they have a really sweet techno shoot too!
Old 08-16-2011, 02:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAssasin View Post
Where is a good archery shop with good staff near Lafayette to get my bow worked on (new string, arrows cut, accessories, etc.)?
Whatever you do DON'T have any work done at the big box stores. My dog knows more about bows than any oif those tards. That being said there are plenty local shiops that are the same way. Find a guy that multiple people suggest. If you need a target go to archerytalk and buy a "blob" target.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:25 PM
King Mackeral

Thanks everyone for your comments. I am stoked to get my bow out of the shop and start shooting. My shots will be within 25 yards at my lease in Texas. I will start with the hogs first and then with my confidence built move to does.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:02 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

Scuba,

Move your sight pin in the direction you want the arrow to move. If you are hitting low, move your sight a little high.

Start at 10-15 yards and no more. Practice your technique over and over. till you are getting very tight groups...less than 2 inches. Archerytalk.com is a wealth of information. Bow hunting will make you a much better hunter very fast as it causes you to consider all the details. Nothing better than to be 20 feet up on a cool november morning and having a big doe slowly working her way to the big white oak your stand is sitting over.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:44 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,717

Quote:
Originally Posted by is it october yet View Post
whatever you do don't have any work done at the big box stores. My dog knows more about bows than any oif those tards. That being said there are plenty local shiops that are the same way. Find a guy that multiple people suggest. If you need a target go to archerytalk and buy a "blob" target.
x 1,000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000
Old 08-16-2011, 09:54 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Latt....is the archery shop also checking to see that the bow is properly set up and correctly tuned?

I would invite you to come over and shoot but I have not yet started shooting. Too dang hot. Let me know when you will be shooting and I will come see if I can help.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:58 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
Slidellkid......?????? Think about your statement? Visualize your sights and you will see that your advice is backwards. You move the sights in the opposite direction to where the arrow is hitting.

Latt....is the archery shop also checking to see that the bow is properly set up and correctly tuned?

I would invite you to come over and shoot but I have not yet started shooting. Too dang hot. Let me know when you will be shooting and I will come see if I can help.

When I was shooting we always said chase the arrow with your sights when you set them . So if its low you move it down ,if its high move it up...
Old 08-16-2011, 10:03 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenner18 View Post
When I was shooting we always said chase the arrow with your sights when you set them . So if its low you move it down ,if its high move it up...
Thanks for the correction.......I typed before I gave it much thought. I need to go to sleep...very tired.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:34 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post

Yes, Gerald, he is giving it a total once-over to make sure all is good with the bow. He said by the looks of it it was in great shape.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:41 PM
King Mackeral

Ok, guys, here is the story behind my bow. Back in 1997 my dad was really big into exotic hunting in Texas. For a while he held top 5 spots for axis, red stag (#2 Safari club), blackbuck, Audad (#1 Safari club), and Sika. So he turned his sights onto trophy whitetail. His outfitter located a 14 pt. double drop tine buck scoring around 170. He WANTED it badly. The catch -- on a bow only ranch. So my dad went to the archery shop on hwy. 14 past what was then KKs corner. He bought the bow along with all necessary accessories on a Wednesday and they taught him to shoot it that day. He left that Friday morning headed to Texas to seek his trophy. Saturday AM at 8:30 this beautiful buck as described walks within 20 yards of my dad and with one shot he nails the big buck and around 45 minutes later retrieves his prize! Upon his return to Lake Charles that Sunday the bow was put in the shed and never saw daylight until I retrieved it last summer. I shot it a few times at a friends house and was fairly good at 20 yards with 3" groupings. So, after sitting for so many years there is a small amount of surface rust on some of the bolts/screws and the sights are not bright. So, getting new sights, rest, stabilzer, release, arrows and broadheads as we speak.

That's how I came to own this bow. It is a Ted Nugent Blood Brother edition.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:45 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,322
Default shooting

I am like Gearld.

Holla when you want to shoot. I'll bring my crossbow.