SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:25 AM
Flounder

Cash: 686

Hope u like traffic. Something I could not get used to. I lived in friendswood( great neighborhood), and had an office near 610 south. Everytime I stepped in my car it was either a 30-60 minute trip. All the activities of a big city were just not for us. We spent more time in galveston fishing and beach walking than anything else. U will get used to barbeque and tex-mex.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:21 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 2,905

Mako, I echo what many who are LA Natives living in the Houston area have already said. We have been in Houston for almost 20 years. Professionally and from a family standpoint, we have no regrets. It will be good for your Family's growth to move out of your comfort zone that LA does provide. Take advantage of all the area has to offer and share it with your Family and friends as they come to visit. You will also be able to share the LA culture with your future Texas Friends when you take them for a visit as we have done on numerous occasions.

If I can provide one last piece of advice to you, before you surrender yours and your wife's drivers license, buy LA Lifetime Hunting and Fishing Licenses. I can guarantee you won't regret that decision! When you get homesick come on over to Hackberry. There are several of us LA natives with camps and live in the Houston area. Best of Luck on the move and the new Job!!
Old 09-09-2015, 01:25 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 521

Mako,
I made the decision in 1988, jobs were absolutely scarce in southeast La. I went in the military, spent 10 years in, became a dad, became a single dad, got remarried and 3 total kids later and been living in northeast Fl for the past 16 years. I miss our culture and way of life now more than ever. We take our family, even though the kids are grown and we even have some grand kids also, back home every chance we get. We rent a camp in Cocodrie for a week tor this coming year it may be Grand Isle. The move will make you more self reliant and a tighter family. I drive the 9 hours west as often as I can and as much as I hate the drive I cannot wait to get HOME. It is a lifestyle and culture that cannot be had anywhere else in my opinion. I truly wish you the best of luck in your new opportunity and stay positive my friend!
Old 09-10-2015, 10:49 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,607

Thanks for all of the replies. I didn't expect so much great feedback and I am definitely doing my best to stay positive, not for myself but for my girls.

My wife has been strong for the most part but when she saw our old house empty after the movers had taken everything it hit her pretty hard.

The movers just finished unloading all of our things into new house. I'm officially a Texas resident now.

Thanks again and I will be sending some pms as soon as everything settles down.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:04 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 536

Welcome to TX Mako...I wish and your family the very best. Godspeed...just remember to put Christ in the center and everything will come together.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:20 PM
Redfish

Cash: 861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomball Tiger View Post
Mako, I echo what many who are LA Natives living in the Houston area have already said. We have been in Houston for almost 20 years. Professionally and from a family standpoint, we have no regrets. It will be good for your Family's growth to move out of your comfort zone that LA does provide. Take advantage of all the area has to offer and share it with your Family and friends as they come to visit. You will also be able to share the LA culture with your future Texas Friends when you take them for a visit as we have done on numerous occasions.

If I can provide one last piece of advice to you, before you surrender yours and your wife's drivers license, buy LA Lifetime Hunting and Fishing Licenses. I can guarantee you won't regret that decision! When you get homesick come on over to Hackberry. There are several of us LA natives with camps and live in the Houston area. Best of Luck on the move and the new Job!!
Great advise. I did this when we moved in 2001. Now, if I'm in town and the fish are biting or birds flying, I can just go.

It's going to be different, but good. Area to live in is key. Feel free to PM me. I am in the new construstion business and know all of the areas, builder companies, developments, schoold districts, etc really good. I live on the SW side. For the record, my kids were 6 & 4 when we moved and they have loved it.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:15 PM
Flounder

Cash: 517

Made that move in 09 from Sulphur to Pearland. Good advice on this thread. I fish Galveston solo often, always good to make new fishing buddies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2015, 09:26 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,607

Finished up my first week of work and getting used to our new area.

It sounded like a war zone with all of the dove hunters very close while my wife and I were sitting in the back yard watching our daughter play this afternoon.

I could have shot 300 dove in 1 hour from my back yard this afternoon if my neighbors wouldn't have minded this afternoon.

I need to find out how to get in on one of those hunts!
Old 09-18-2015, 09:37 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

Good luck to you mako. I work 14&14 in Oklahoma so I'm there just as much as I'm home. The city I stay in is pretty nice and all but there simply no place like southern Louisiana.