SaltyCajun.com http://www.mkacpas.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 07-08-2014, 01:16 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

The remote is easy to get used to. Make sure you have extra batteries for it or you will have a bad trip.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:27 AM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

I would think it would be worse with the ram. It just bounces right now freely with the ram you will get the jolt from the deck. I dunno just thinking. I've been in rough stuff with mine and it didn't move around too bad.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:00 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 792
Default hope you're right cuz.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampy View Post
I would think it would be worse with the ram. It just bounces right now freely with the ram you will get the jolt from the deck. I dunno just thinking. I've been in rough stuff with mine and it didn't move around too bad.
I'm planning on ordering it without the ram mount. We'll see how it does. Best source I've found is Amazon and Rothwell Marine in Ark. for $1,475 with free shipping and no taxes. Anyone have a better source? Also gonna get the quick mount, looks like that's about $80. Looks like I'm gonna have a 24V, 74 lb. Riptide 3X for sale once this one comes in if anyone is interested. Just listed it on La. Sportsman for $200 obo with the quick mount disconnect. About 6 yrs. old and works fine.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:25 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

I ordered my motorguide from Cabelas and Amazon. Both where on back order. Ended up getting it from Bass Pro for an excellent price. Cheaper than the other two plus received a rebate for $100
Old 07-10-2014, 09:14 PM
Tripletail

Well, finally bit the bullet today and ordered the Ipilot from Rothwell Marine. Best price I could find, he even beat Amazon and no taxes or shipping. Also ordered the quick disconnect mount. Sold the old TM this evening so awaiting my newest gadget. Thanks to all for your advice.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:50 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 964

You'll love it. I promise you that you will find that you really only remember to use the following modes
1. Anchor lock
2. Rabbit mode(kick it quickly up to 10)
3. Advanced autopilot mode

Don't forget though that it can save routes and spots. I've tested the route feature and it is bad arse I just always forget to use it.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:38 AM
Redfish

Cash: 729

How did you order with Rothwell? Online or phone?
Old 07-11-2014, 02:11 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampy View Post
I felt the same way no ram for me either. Now you can put a bungee cord around the shaft and hook it to your cleat. I also though about going that route too.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:56 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7722 View Post
How did you order with Rothwell? Online or phone?
email mostly until time to pay. the pilot is not on their website.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:00 PM
Tripletail

Default WOW!

Tried it out yesterday. Wow! I'm hooked even tho the bolt holding the head onto the shaft was missing. Found this out when I tried to lower it out into the water and the head came off in my hands. Recovered nicely by just grabbing the shaft after that. Still WOW! I'm gonna love this thing! Called MK Tech Support and they are overnighting the missing bolt to me. Not a biggie as far as I am concerned. Love the Spot Lock and the track back feature.

BTW, decided to get the Ram Mount anyway. With the rubber balls on the ram mount and the fact that I mounted the Ram at an angle, I think there is plenty play to help absorb any blows from wave pounding. And, if I forget to tighten down the collar, the Ram Mount will keep the MK from deploying and ruining my day. Thanks to all for their advice.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:51 PM
Redfish

Cash: 2,199

For those who believe the ram mount isn't necessary. I had my I pilot for over two years without it and never had a problem. Then about 4 weeks ago I hit some bad weather just outside of southwest pass and the trolling motor somehow deployed on its own and never stopped until it disappeared completely. It all happened in about three seconds my my $2,000 I pilot was gone! I contemplated jumping in after it but I was alone in 3-4ft seas, I'm no fool! Haha. Needless to say, I purchased a new Ipilot and also a ram mount!

Also, when trailering or cruising make sure to keep the black clamp adjusted all the way down and you might not share the fate I did.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:11 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,686

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka337 View Post
For those who believe the ram mount isn't necessary. I had my I pilot for over two years without it and never had a problem. Then about 4 weeks ago I hit some bad weather just outside of southwest pass and the trolling motor somehow deployed on its own and never stopped until it disappeared completely. It all happened in about three seconds my my $2,000 I pilot was gone! I contemplated jumping in after it but I was alone in 3-4ft seas, I'm no fool! Haha. Needless to say, I purchased a new Ipilot and also a ram mount!

Also, when trailering or cruising make sure to keep the black clamp adjusted all the way down and you might not share the fate I did.
Wow, sorry to hear that. I have the ram mount installed but don't use it throughout the day when fishing in calm weather. I WILL NOW!
Old 09-08-2014, 02:13 PM
Sailfish

yep same thing happen to me. my new boat wasn't even a month old yet! If that clamp is all the way down IT WILL DEPLOY! I crossed a invisible wake from a boat in slick calm waters going 40-45 mph. In my case, Minnkota paid for my new ipilot.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:21 PM
Redfish

Cash: 2,199

Guys, anyone looking to purchase any kind of trolling motor should call Keith or Nelson at Superior trolling motors in Lafayette. Get a quote from them before buying one from anywhere online. And the best thing about them is their outstanding customer service. I have been dealing with them for a few years now and when I purchased my new Ipilot they beat everyone hands down, even cheaper than eBay, Amazon etc...
Old 09-08-2014, 02:46 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka337 View Post
Guys, anyone looking to purchase any kind of trolling motor should call Keith or Nelson at Superior trolling motors in Lafayette. Get a quote from them before buying one from anywhere online. And the best thing about them is their outstanding customer service. I have been dealing with them for a few years now and when I purchased my new Ipilot they beat everyone hands down, even cheaper than eBay, Amazon etc...
X2 they are good people to deal with. There is damn near zero money to be made in a new trolling motor. I don't see how they do it. Guess they make it with repairs.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:46 PM
Trophy Trout

As of late I've been having wicked trouble with the remote just turning off. It'll flash then just turn off and literally have to crazily hit buttons to make it come back on.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:55 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicegoose View Post
As of late I've been having wicked trouble with the remote just turning off. It'll flash then just turn off and literally have to crazily hit buttons to make it come back on.
call minn kota
Old 09-13-2014, 10:55 AM
Redfish

Cash: 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicegoose View Post
Seen the same issue the battery is not making contact when that happens
Old 09-13-2014, 12:47 PM
Sailfish

If you don't have the right battery it will do that. I cant remember the exact numbers but the correct ones are thicker and there is a letter at the beginning and at the end.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:44 PM
Trophy Trout

Im still on the original battery.