SaltyCajun.com http://www.mkacpas.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion

Freshwater Fishing Discussion For discussion of everything freshwater!

Old 04-19-2011, 08:50 AM
Flounder

Cash: 729
Default Top 3 spots to fish within 30 miles of Sulphur, La

I'm looking at taking my wife and two kids on the water a few times for the next few weekends to breakin my new to me boat. It's a late 80's skeeter F-80 with a 60hp merc. I went and tested it out last saturday at Parkside marina just to take a ride and made it about 5 miles and came back. So just really getting in fishing in my own boat finally and would like to show my family the best of SWLA. I have fished only a few areas around here and this is my 1st post.

Niblets, Parkside, bagdad rd., sam houston are some of the launches I'm familiar with. I've heard of a few places but have never fished any like burnout bridge, west fork, etc... just wanting to go to some familiar spots. Again I've always fished with someone and just relied on where we were going from them.

Any help will be appreciated and thanks for looking,
Rob
Old 04-19-2011, 08:57 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 9,130

Saltwater or fresh???
Old 04-19-2011, 09:09 AM
Flounder

Fresh sorry, will try salt more towards mayish
Old 04-19-2011, 09:18 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

I believe you pretty much named them all in you post.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:42 AM
Sailfish

If you launch at parkside... take a right out of the creek where it meets the river (left takes you to the bridge). Pass up the Sam houston (NO wake zone) park area and there is some clear water fishing there. from there the river runs a ways then hooks hard left with a canal being on you left. The areas past this are usually good. I like to fish anywhere past Sam Houston.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:37 PM
Flounder

Default went out...

Well we went and launched at Sam Houston and took a ride to holbrook. Man there was some crazy obstructions lol. one there was a root ball right in the middle! I fished for about 15 min in a little cut and we caught one bass that was about 16'' and was too busy rigging up perch lines for my lil ones and wife to see if there was any more. Caught it on a small brush hog with a split shot about 12'' above the bait. It was the fastest thing I could rig up while being on the river trolling to stay in one spot while riding the waves of 150's and 200hp+ rigs flying by was a full time job ontop of being bait man and catch and release guy, but it was nice to get out and show them the beauty of the water way. Boat did okay and glad we spent the time together. Smiles all the way there and back. Managed to GPS the ole rig at 35.8 mph haha. Oh and I rescued someones high dollar bass boat from drifting too far from sam houston, if your on here, you're welcome lol. Might try some other spots next weekend... How'd did you do?
Old 04-24-2011, 09:45 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Ok. Welcome to my pride and joy.

Launch at parkside fishing is just as good if you hang a left i Promise, just got to know what your doing

Water is about the same right now wether your hang a left or right. Once you get to south side of westfork where it meets the main river it is muddy as heck right now.

Its not the best fishing right now, come june july and august the south end/mid westfork is on fire with schooling fish.. I won't even run north of the park when that time comes
Old 04-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

My dad had one of those f80 skeeters back in the day....got any pictures of it?
Old 04-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Flounder

I do. If I could log on at work like I could two weeks ago it would be no problem. I'm in the gym on my phone but will try to get it uploaded before I crash. Glad to see sone responses and will try again this weekend. May try some different baits and speeds/ depths...
Old 04-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Flounder

Picked it up for nothing, got it running like a top in about 45 min and man it's tough! Can't say enough about it I plan on sprucing it up this fall and winter, but for now it'll be on the water as often as possible. clocked it on 35.8 on my iphone 4 loaded down with full capacity Hope to put some bigger fish in the live wells soon. daddy's tired of talapia from wal-mart ;(
Old 04-26-2011, 10:32 PM
Flounder

might give West fork a try, been wanting to fish there... to the North. I've heard of some decent fish pulled from watermellon bay although I've never fished it and my lil ones love passing over the water around the wal-mart there. So either this Saturday or the next I'll hit up from the Perkins Ferry area to the salt water barrier, then West fork to wal-mart area. Either way 1st, then maybe anthony Ferry way next... Hopefully by then the lake will die down some. I still remember taking some good fish in my buddies old 14 footer with a 25 just wishing we could go a little faster and handle the waves a little better. So now I can, If I can just remember where to go lol. Hopefully I recognize some areas by sight and we get on some...
Old 04-27-2011, 09:29 AM
Sailfish

North is what has been working for me "right now"... topwater plugs have been the ticket early morning. everyone has their own preference. I work that area bc its convenient for me launching outta Perkins Ferry launch and I haven't had any reasons to stray. But what fool says is true. If the water clears enough I like to launch out or white oak park. I have had some of my best stringers come outta that area.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:33 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,054

Anyone fish Sabine lately ???

Thanks,
Hydro
Old 04-28-2011, 09:11 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro View Post
Anyone fish Sabine lately ???

Thanks,
Hydro
i was over there last saturday afternoon, burned-out bridge area.. fished for about 3 hours, had 20 small bass.. all but 2 on an xcalibur zell pop - bone/chart. the other 2 ate a black/chart spro crankbait.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:33 AM
Sailfish

Jedi, when are yall going to expand your selection on crankbaits and hardbaits??? Yall carry Spro, norman, and xcalibur mostly?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltERedneck View Post
Jedi, when are yall going to expand your selection on crankbaits and hardbaits??? Yall carry Spro, norman, and xcalibur mostly?
we carry bandit, bomber, rapala, spro, norman, strike king, mann's, bagley, river2sea, xcalibur, mirro-lure, heddon, sebile ... what were ya lookin for?
Old 04-28-2011, 10:02 AM
Sailfish

man the last time i was there was a while back... must have not seen em. was lookin for some deep divers and square bills... yall had a vast assortment of bandits, normans, and spro. dont get me wrong. yall got a good selection. I will keep coming back buddy.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:32 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
man the last time i was there was a while back... must have not seen em. was lookin for some deep divers and square bills... yall had a vast assortment of bandits, normans, and spro. dont get me wrong. yall got a good selection. I will keep coming back buddy.
it's all good.. we keep series 5 strike kings and dd22's for your deep crankin needs..and we just got 8 colors of the new bandit square bills in. the strike king square bills have been on backorder for more than a month. we're adding more baits all the time.. more new stuff comin in today.. zoom jr. swimmin flukes! they look perfect for the river!
Old 04-28-2011, 12:39 PM
Sailfish

love dem swim flukes... stop tempting me to spend more money
Old 04-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
love dem swim flukes... stop tempting me to spend more money
lol but that's my job!