SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 06-23-2014, 04:20 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,633
Headknocker Humminbird

may be a long shot but, maybe the salty cajun brethren can help me out, not sure if any of you guys are using humminbird fish/depth finders, or if you may know someone, or if any one has one lying around, that i could use to test my transducer and head piece on there setup to see which piece has the issue? i have a humminbird 570 in my boat it is little over 2years old, and it has quit working, it turns on and all the menu and system check functions work like it should, it is reading depth not sure if it is reading accurately but it isn't showing the soundings on the screen properly, all i have are some black lines scrolling across the screen, i contacted humminbird and they gave me a list of things to do to the unit, i did these things to the best that i could tell and the issue is still there, now they say i need to send the unit in for a service, now they have a blanket service charge for each type of finder

not looking for advice, at least not right now, on which type of fish/depth finder i should buy, just looking for another unit that is of the same type but in working condition, that i can test mine with, i know there are better units out there, i am not looking to find any chairs or toothpicks sitting on the bottom of the ocean, just needed a dependable unit, thought what i had was good enough, just figured it would last a little longer, if i can't get this one fixed for cheap then i may see about one of them fancy ones
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Humminbird 570 FF.jpg (31.9 KB, 216 views)
Old 06-23-2014, 05:23 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

I have a 560 on my deck and if it weren't to have to go through the trouble I would replace it with another eagle like i have on the console. This is the second hummingturd I owned and its over.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:44 AM
Redfish

Cash: 987

What piece or you looking for a have a 570 sitting on my self in my shop. Do you want the unit head to see if yours isnt working right? PM me. I am offshore but I can get my dad to get it for you to test yours out.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:32 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,414

If you find out its the transducer let me know I have ine I will give you. I had one that got wet and wont turn on.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:10 AM
King Mackeral

Default cool

thanks saute, i will let you know, i appreciate everyones help
Old 06-24-2014, 08:52 AM
Tripletail

No problem. Transducer was never used I have a couple of them. I got tired of messing with hummingbirds. I had the same unit and it just quit. No graphics or power. Tried another power cord and nada. Hooked another unit to same cord and it worked. Seems like they quit working about the same time the warranty is up. Now I have a lowrance Elite 4xdi and love it.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:31 AM
King Mackeral

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by saute86 View Post
No problem. Transducer was never used I have a couple of them. I got tired of messing with hummingbirds. I had the same unit and it just quit. No graphics or power. Tried another power cord and nada. Hooked another unit to same cord and it worked. Seems like they quit working about the same time the warranty is up. Now I have a lowrance Elite 4xdi and love it.

yeah if the issue continues i will switch probably to lowrance, but i don't need one with gps/chartplotter
Old 06-24-2014, 11:54 AM
Tripletail

The only thing i dont like about down imaging is if you arent moving you just get horizontal lines. But when moving the detail is incredible. I mainly saculait fish and the image of brush piles is incredible. I have learned to use it to locate the piles and what depth to fish. I learned to watch the horizontal lines to stay on the piles. In a few months I am looking at buying the Elite 5hds to put on the front and move the 4 to the console. The hds has the ability to down image and sonar so I can see the piles when not moving.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:50 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

so I take it, someone looking to buy a new depth finder should avoid the hummin bird brand?
Old 07-14-2014, 02:40 PM
King Mackeral

Default works

changed the transducer and it is working again thanks a bunch Saute86, from the looks of the old transducer it may have impacted something, there was a line across the front of it like it was hit with a knife blade, wasn't cracked though, i guess it doesn't take much to knock them out of wack
Old 07-14-2014, 06:17 PM
Tripletail

No problem. Glad i could help you out. I still have 2 back up ones. One new and one used for back up.