SaltyCajun.com http://www.geaux-outdoors.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:24 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,071
Default LA W&F

This past Sunday I made a trip to my land in Hackberry. Upon arrival I found that someone dumped a deer carcass on my land. It was probably a few days old (meat was still on and fly covered it). Seemed like poachers/out of season kill. So, I called the Law enforcement of LA Wildlife and Fisheries. I got the operator. She gave me two numbers. One number was to someone that wasn't associated with W&F. The other number I left a message. I called the operator back and informed her that one number was no good. She gave to another number. I called that one and left another message. I then called a fourth number that was provided by a friend that works with law W&F, I called that number and I left another message.

In summary, four calls (one bad number) and three messages. Zero returned calls, zero effort.

I am not saying this is a murder or the most serious situation, but I would expect something instead of silence. This seems like an out of season kill, poaching or something of that sort. In my opinion, this is a poor representation of people that typically do a great job and work hard, but you got to call a spade a spade.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:46 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Careful reporting that kind of stuff. Next thing u know they will be trying to charge u with the crime.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:43 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,308

we found a leg of a freshly killed deer (out of season) in the ditch in front of my house and called them and had about the same luck.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:17 PM
Flounder

Cash: 406

I would cut them a little slack. My understanding is they are underfunded and likely don't have the resources to determine how/who killed a 2 day old deed.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:37 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshmellow View Post
I would cut them a little slack. My understanding is they are underfunded and likely don't have the resources to determine how/who killed a 2 day old deed.

Do they need funding to make a courtesy return phone call?
Old 04-02-2015, 01:10 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

They're too busy conducting groundless and unfounded "Boater Safety Checks" in Prien Lake. All about the $$$$$
Old 04-02-2015, 01:33 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,486

They're a state governmental agency. That's the first thing to remember when calibrating expectations of customer service.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:36 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
Careful reporting that kind of stuff. Next thing u know they will be trying to charge u with the crime.
yep, out of expediency if they don't have anyone else to pin it on they might just look for an excuse to blame it on you if you give them the slightest chance.

there are many good hard working honest agents out there but there is also a number of lazy agents that want to close cases regardless and will pin things on anyone around when it is convenient to do so.

just curious if you called the operation game thief hotline? or did you call dwf regular number directly?
Old 04-02-2015, 01:53 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

I reported some wildlife violations to a local warden some time back. Rather than responding to me regarding how he intended to investigate or follow up, he made plans to begin monitoring the area and in the course of time, the violators were caught in the act of a repeat performance.

For this approach to be effective, it is best not to tip ones hand to any local parties regarding the plan of action. It is best to give the appearance that the report is being completely ignored.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:56 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Also might want to consider that this past weekend was the turkey season opener, and agents were on WMAs and out in other areas across southwest Louisiana trying to catch illegal hunting.

Just something to consider before you go off blasting them for "poor representation", when they may very well have been doing their job. Really can't blame them either if you didn't call the right number. Operation Game Thief is set up for a reason (not sure if this is one you called or not).

Chances are, they were not going to catch whoever did it at that moment anyway. They would have to investigate. They COULD, however, catch someone in the act of hunting turkeys over bait, or without a license, or illegally harvesting a bird.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:47 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 921

ladwf is only as good as it's leadership, which is questionable at best.

do not expect miricles from the government. get off your lazy azz and go catch the poachers yourself. this is what i have learned from my experiances with the ladwf.

not a slam, just how it is.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:43 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,103

Mention the word 'Bear' you will get a response.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:56 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,226

Quote:
Originally Posted by yigodiver View Post
Mention the word 'Bear' you will get a response.
Sea Turtle and Hooping Crane should elicit a quick response if Bear doesn't work.....
Old 04-03-2015, 01:08 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 918

Nope... I called and reported a nussiance bear a couple years ago and never recieved a call back. The person I spoke to said it would take a day or two.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:27 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Shoulda said u shot it. Then they woulda showed
Old 04-03-2015, 02:54 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

I been hunting and fishing since I can remember and have only had bad experiences with 2 game wardens and they were both feds. One was just a tool and the other one was a woman. I've found most of the state boys to be laid back for the most part. Happy to issue a warning in lue of a ticket for not having a fire extinguisher for something petty like that. Feds are a completely different story.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:32 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Called Operation Game Thief over gill nets and, never a return call despite multiple messages left.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:58 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,071

Update!

Went back to the land and the deer carcas is gone! Coyotes took care of the clean up. Still no call and I don't expect one.

keakar, I called the hotline. The hotline gave me three numbers to call. One number was bad, the other two I left messages. I then contacted a friend that works at a Louisiana Refuge. He gave me there law enforcement that investigates this. Called and left message.

I don't consider this a serious issue, but I just expected a call or some type of follow up. With this experience, I probably will not bother reporting another violation. Why waste my time to try to do the right thing? Or I at least thought it was the right thing to do.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:12 AM
Flounder

Cash: 617
Default Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
They're too busy conducting groundless and unfounded "Boater Safety Checks" in Prien Lake. All about the $$$$$
Unfortunately a lot of law enforcement gets stuck in "fund raising" mode. I don't blame to guys in the field. They're just doing a job that bosses are pushing them to do. Like another poster said, doubt they're breaking out the CSU unit for a deer anyway but a return call is not too much to ask for.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:01 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,091

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefman View Post
Sea Turtle and Hooping Crane should elicit a quick response if Bear doesn't work.....
Here's your script to get a response "I'd like to report a dead animal in my yard, not sure what it is, but based on the pile of fur, I think it may be a bear. It must have been poisoned because birds that feed near it are dying, I think they are whooping cranes, one of them ate off the dead animal then died in mid air, fell on a sea turtle and killed it".