SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CalcasieuExtremeRods

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:29 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182
Default More Humming birds 9-9-15

It is that time of the year where the humming birds start to migrate south and show up in SW Louisiana.

We had 1 hummer for the last couple of weeks, then a second one starting coming several days ago. Just now I watched 3 darting at each other around the feeder.

Usually be late Sept. and into Oct. we will have 5 to 10 feeding daily. Some years we have had 20 or more that will "drink" 4 to 6 cups of sugar water per day.

I find them really enjoyable to watch them darting around like they are defending there "food".

I mix 1/4 cup sugar to 1 cup of tap water.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:35 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

yeah.. I saw one flying through my neighborhood, so I went get my hummingbird feeders together and filled them up. Shortly after I had 2-3 flying around. I have one who sits on the same tree branch in the same spot nearly all day.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:51 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,124

Humers show up in Cajun country in the spring and hang around till like late october before heading back north. You dont see them around much when flowers are blooming but this time of the year pickings get slim and if ya have a feeder ya see more of them now. Also any time after a rain on acounta the rain dilutes the flower necter they prefer. The common ones that hang here are ruby throated hummers but in teh spring and fall ys see other varieties as they pass through.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:52 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,393

awesome...I definitely need to get a few feeders around the house....already have a few squirrel and bid bath...
Old 09-09-2015, 04:32 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

My grandmother always told me they rode on the backs of geese when they migrate most of them winter in Central America and can make the flight across the gulf without stopping Think about that a second

Also people have bee
N leaving their feeders up over the winter and seeing some crazy species of hummingbirds that are typically found much further west
Old 09-10-2015, 07:00 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
My grandmother always told me they rode on the backs of geese when they migrate most of them winter in Central America and can make the flight across the gulf without stopping Think about that a second

Also people have bee
N leaving their feeders up over the winter and seeing some crazy species of hummingbirds that are typically found much further west
I heard that on Nat Geo about riding the geese. I'm sure most of you offshore guys see it pretty often, but I was offshore once and there were 100s of hummingbirds flying by! It was crazy! Found many dead on the decks unfortunately. I think it would be awesome if oil companies would put up feeders to help with migration
Old 09-10-2015, 08:51 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeff31787 View Post
I heard that on Nat Geo about riding the geese. I'm sure most of you offshore guys see it pretty often, but I was offshore once and there were 100s of hummingbirds flying by! It was crazy! Found many dead on the decks unfortunately. I think it would be awesome if oil companies would put up feeders to help with migration
Many of our summertime songbirds cross the gulf twice a year and a lot of them don't make it and find the nearest structure to perch. When they leave to cross the gulf they dont know what is in front of them. They wait til dark and try to ride a tailwind across the gulf and hope its smooth sailing. If they are coming from the south and hit a strong north wind you can see them literally fall out of the sky when they reach land because they are so exhausted
Old 09-10-2015, 04:36 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,958

Quote:
Many of our summertime songbirds cross the gulf twice a year and a lot of them don't make it and find the nearest structure to perch. When they leave to cross the gulf they dont know what is in front of them. They wait til dark and try to ride a tailwind across the gulf and hope its smooth sailing. If they are coming from the south and hit a strong north wind you can see them literally fall out of the sky when they reach land because they are so exhausted
Peveto is a great place for birding in April and May for this reason. I think birders call it 'fall out.' I have lots of great pics from peveto earlier this year, tanagers, orioles, warblers, buntings, etc.. Birds you dont typically see except during migration. When i get to my laptop i'll post up some pics. For what it's worth, i am offshore right now and am seeing lots of warblers starting their journey, with the most prevalent being ovenbirds. No teal sightings yet! Usually see big flocks of bluewings late sept, early oct.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:49 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,633
Default ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtfish View Post
Peveto is a great place for birding in April and May for this reason. I think birders call it 'fall out.' I have lots of great pics from peveto earlier this year, tanagers, orioles, warblers, buntings, etc.. Birds you dont typically see except during migration. When i get to my laptop i'll post up some pics. For what it's worth, i am offshore right now and am seeing lots of warblers starting their journey, with the most prevalent being ovenbirds. No teal sightings yet! Usually see big flocks of bluewings late sept, early oct.
where/what is Peveto, offshore rig?
Old 09-11-2015, 07:55 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtfish View Post
Yes, its happening right now. The north winds should get them more cranked up as well
Old 09-11-2015, 07:58 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfighter View Post
where/what is Peveto, offshore rig?
Its a small tract of land west of Holly Beach owned by Audubon Society. Its a nice place with lots of birds. The birdwatchers like it because its close to the gulf and the birds stop over to rest and feed. Can get some cool species of birds there.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:00 AM
King Mackeral

Default nice

Quote:
Its a small tract of land west of Holly Beach owned by Audubon Society. Its a nice place with lots of birds. The birdwatchers like it because its close to the gulf and the birds stop over to rest and feed. Can get some cool species of birds there.
thanks, may be a place i could drop of the lil lady while i fish
Old 09-11-2015, 08:03 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfighter View Post
thanks, may be a place i could drop of the lil lady while i fish
For true

That place and the woods of Grand Isle are world renowned for bird diversity believe it or not. Grand Isle has a bird festival where people come from all over to birdwatch. Any chenier woods are great because its the first woods they see from their long gulf migration.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:47 AM
Red Snapper

They are always more active around our feeders when it rains. My theory has been that the rain dilutes and washes away flower necter. They drank 1 feeder full just yesterday.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:25 PM
Flounder

Cash: 406

They're tough to kill unless you can find some #12 shot
Old 09-11-2015, 08:40 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

I am kind of in a lull now after 2 days of having 3 hummers around. Only 1 bird coming once or twice [that we see] per hour.

Our feeder is hanging under the roof so they can sit without getting wet.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:17 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,807

This afternoon I was at my parents house and they have 3 feeders and a couple of dozen hummer flying around. Dad was saying that when he got home from work they had drank 1.5 feeders worth since he topped them off before he left for work this morning. We had walked in his shop and I noticed one flying around in the shop. Well it disappeared in a pearling and never flew back up. I climbed up to see and she was full of spider webs. I cleaned her off, took a quick pic and set her free outside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (55.7 KB, 270 views)
Old 09-12-2015, 08:48 AM
King Mackeral

Default Same

Had to do the same thing two years in a row, hummingbird got in the shop and couldnt get out, got tangled in spider webs, hasnt happened this year yet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (33.1 KB, 252 views)
Old 09-12-2015, 10:12 AM
Red Snapper

The 2 birds in the pictures are not hers they are hims. The females are a kinda plain grey color and the males are irradesent blue green with a white belly and red throat.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:52 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
The 2 birds in the pictures are not hers they are hims. The females are a kinda plain grey color and the males are irradesent blue green with a white belly and red throat.
Learn something new everyday.. I thought mine was a her only cuz it didn't have the ruby patch on its throat. Thanks for the info Cappy.