SaltyCajun.com lake Area Marine

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391
Eek shark attack??????????????

Anyone got any details concerning the reported shark attack in Breton Sound today? How 'bout it, Hustler?
Old 08-02-2009, 08:39 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 343

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2...man_bitte.html
Old 08-02-2009, 12:11 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 715

wow, anymore info comes available, please post
Old 08-02-2009, 02:01 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

sharks are a BIG problem at brenton island . sence we are on the topic of sharks my wife landed a 5 fter saturday while fishing the islands in fourchon, she was stoked it spooled her like 3 times
Old 08-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Banned

wad he wading?
Old 08-02-2009, 02:10 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarham View Post
wad he wading?
d, more than likely if he was at Breton Island. Lots of wading there.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 652

I'm betting they put him in the boat green, and he flopped around and bit the guy. Sharks around here like fish, not people. It's not like the west coast where people get mistaken for seals. I've had sharks steal trout off my stringer while wade fishing, but they never bothered me. I do make sure the fish are floating AWAY from me though. ;-)
Old 08-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mung View Post
I'm betting they put him in the boat green, and he flopped around and bit the guy. Sharks around here like fish, not people. It's not like the west coast where people get mistaken for seals. I've had sharks steal trout off my stringer while wade fishing, but they never bothered me. I do make sure the fish are floating AWAY from me though. ;-)
After reading the article i would have to agree as it says he was bitten Not attacked. I'm sure more infdo will come out.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:32 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189

sorry i havent been on for a cople days..had an overnight charter last night..and drove out to destin today..but i talked to the marina and there indeed was a shark attack..we know as much as yall do though...yall are right though..wading at breton island isnt the smartest move..its slap dumb..there are more bull and spinner sharks there than the chandeleurs...
Old 08-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

Coast Guard medevacs man bitten by shark
*** MEDIA NOTE: Video of the rescue can be found at http://cgvi.uscg.mil/media/main.php?g2_itemId=625000 ***
NEW ORLEANS — The Coast Guard medevaced a 56-year-old man who was bitten by a shark while fishing near Breton Island approximately 65 miles southeast of New Orleans in Breton Sound, Saturday.
At approximately 10 a.m., Coast Guard Station Venice received a radio transmission from the motor vessel Predator that a passenger aboard the vessel had been bitten by a shark. Station Venice contacted Coast Guard Air Station New Orleans who launched an MH-65C dolphin rescue helicopter and crew. Once on scene a Coast Guard rescue swimmer was lowered to the boat and determined that the man, who is from Jackson, Miss., needed to be medevaced.
The MH65C helicopter arrived at Coast Guard Air Station New Orleans at approximately 11:40 a.m., where local EMS transported the man to a hospital. His condition is unkown.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Trophy Trout

doubt hes layin in the hospital bed watching shark week.......
Old 08-02-2009, 08:55 PM
Redfish

Cash: 852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mung View Post
Believe your right on.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Trophy Trout

anyone heard anymore details about this......I heard a little piece about it on the radio this morning, but they didnt say anything new besides his name and that he was from jackson. I would really like to know if it happened in the boat, or while he was wading. I'm going to wade regardless, I'm just curious.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:07 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Havoc View Post
anyone heard anymore details about this......I heard a little piece about it on the radio this morning, but they didnt say anything new besides his name and that he was from jackson. I would really like to know if it happened in the boat, or while he was wading. I'm going to wade regardless, I'm just curious.
i fish breton island alot and can pretty much bet he was wade fishing every time i fish there i see mutiple (10+) sharks they are everywhere even is gossier(spelling) island or what is let of it i think you reel in more 1/2 eatin specks than whole ones over there!!
Old 08-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

I talk to a buddy of mine this evening thats a guide in Venice, he's been fishing the Islands all week, he says the guy was bit on the foot. He seems to think the shark was put in the boat & he got bit.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:32 PM
Blue Marlin

Report from clarion ledger......

Chris Haynes Jr., the Jackson businessman bitten by a shark over the weekend, is still in a hospital recovering - and is even considering going back to the same spot.

"He's fine," Chip Haynes said of his father. "He's not nearly as shocked about it as the rest of us."

Haynes Jr., 62, is listed in fair condition at the University of Mississippi Medical Center following preliminary surgery on Monday.

Surgeons at the Jackson hospital "made an incision on his foot to see what's going on, cleaned it out really well, and will wait until Wednesday to try and fix it," Chip Haynes said.

Haynes Jr. was bitten on the foot Saturday as he and others fished for speckled trout in waist-high water near Breton Sound, about 85 miles southeast of New Orleans. On Wednesday, surgeons will try to repair damaged tendons in his foot, his son said.

Chip Haynes, 20, was one of a half-dozen Jackson-area men on the fishing trip who witnessed the attack on his father, the owner of Chris Haynes Electric Supply Inc. in Jackson.

Joe Gex, 45, of Ridgeland was another.

"We love fishing the Breton Sound and had gotten a good fishing report from Curlew Island, south of Breton Island," Gex said.

"We had done this routine many times without any hitches, other than bug bites or a hook in the finger.

"Who would have thought there would be a shark attack?"

Curlew Island, site of the attack, has been under water the past few years, Gex said. "You have to find it with a GPS."

The fishing party anchored Haynes Jr.'s 30- to-34-foot boat, The Predator, on Saturday morning near the island. Because they were catching mostly ladyfish, they moved farther north.

That's where Gex caught a five-pound speckled trout.

"Then Chris Jr. came over to join me," Gex said. "And I looked in the water and said, 'There's a pretty good shark in front of us.'

"As soon as I said it, the shark, just as fast as he could, ran into Chris.

"I asked him if he was OK, and he said, 'He knocked me down but didn't bite me.' "

A couple of the men in the fishing party climbed into the boat; but Gex, Chris Haynes Jr. and others stayed put.

"About five minutes later, I heard my son, Joseph yell, 'Shark!' " Gex said.

"This time, he attacked Chris and wouldn't let go."

Standing on The Predator about 300 yards away, Chip Haynes saw his father drop.

"I thought it was a stingray at first," he said.

Gex and George Stewart helped the injured man limp toward The Predator while Chip Haynes guided the boat as close to them as he dared in the shallow water.

"There was a lot of blood, Gex said. "He was bleeding in the water with the sharks."

On the boat, the men used towels on Haynes Jr.'s leg as a tourniquet and held them together with electrical tape.

They radioed the Coast Guard, which sent a helicopter to take Haynes Jr. to a New Orleans-area hospital. Later, an ambulance transported him to UMC.

As on other trips, the anglers had kept their catch on stringers that floated on the water behind them.

The stringers are hooked to belts the anglers wear, said Walter Moses, a salesman with Haynes Jr.'s business who wasn't able to make this trip.

"If a shark hits your stringer, you've got to have the presence of mind to undo your hook from the belt; if you don't, you're going with the shark," Moses said.

"A few years ago, a shark went after my fish, and I was almost dinner."

One expert advises anglers against using stringers.

"You're basically sending a signal to any shark nearby that here's a free meal," said Eric Hoffmayer, shark biologist at Gulf Coast Research Laboratory in Ocean Springs.

The shark who bit Haynes Jr. could have been a bull, lemon, black-tip or tiger, he said.

"They can all get relatively large and do a lot of damage."
Old 08-04-2009, 04:43 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Holy Crap! They wouldnt have had to worry about calling for help. I would have died right there. Dont know about yall but after the shark hit the 1st guy my day of wading would have been over FOREVER!
Old 08-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556
Default Shark

Just saw an interview w/ the guy and he said he was only knee deep 1st shark bumped his leg . second one bit it.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:35 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189

wow...i wouldnt wade curlew to save mah life...its not like big lake or lake p or even wading grand isle....its a underwater island in the gulf with millions of lady fish everywhere you look and mixed trout...and about every 2 minutes you can see a good shark coming out the water after its dinner...thats just asking to get bit if u wade there..
Old 08-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 813

yep...he should've gotten out after 1st bump.....sharks were showing aggression....guess he didn't pay attention during shark week