SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes)

The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes) What good is a cajun site without a cooking and recipe forum?

Old 02-11-2013, 06:00 PM
Redfish

Cash: 888
Cheers how do ya'll cook crawfish??

just wondering how ya'll cook it.
seasonings...
condements...
boil and soak and such...
i want to find a way to get the crawfish spicy and juicy!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:20 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

In a pot

sorry couldnt resist
Old 02-11-2013, 06:42 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 758

Bring seasoned water to a boil and drop in crawfish. Once water comes to boil cook 4 min and dump in ice chest. Sprinkle with swamp dust and a squeeze bottle of butter. Shake em up and let em sit and soak in seasoning abt 15 min.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:48 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

I cut and squeeze a bunch of lemons in the pot too, it's what crawfish is always missing when it ain't good IMO. 6-10 per sack.

I throw ice in the pot and let them soak instead of the ice chest, that get more juice up in em. Then I dust with swamp dust when I serve.

Dip - 3 parts ketch, 2 part mayo, 1 part mustard, seasoning, garlic power sauce
Old 02-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Heres a good thread from a while back... Id like to here some new imput too though

http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/show...oking+crawfish
Old 02-11-2013, 07:10 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 758

To season the water i use, salt, liquid boil, a few lemons, plenty of garlic heads, onions, salt and swamp dust or swamp fire. Boil to cook onions and cook some sausage to get some oil in the water.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:45 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Boiled Crawfish

Equipment Required

Burner, gas bottle, boiling pot w/ basket, something to stir pot, container to wash and purge crawfish.

Cleaning & Purging

Crawfish are usually dirty and should be cleaned before cooking.
· Wash off sacks of crawfish with hose.
· Put crawfish in clean ice chest other container that can be drained. Fill with water until crawfish are covered. Stir the crawfish some to help move them around.
· Drain the dirty water and wash again with clean water. Repeat until water is fairy clean.
· If cooking more than one sack, wash all sack before purging.
· Purging will help some to clean out the crawfish. To purge…..In another container (if available). Fill container until sack is covered and dissolve about 1 to 2 lbs. salt.
· Purge for about 10 to 15 minutes and remove from water. Rinse and place in cool spot before cooking.

Preparation

· Clean up onions.........cut large onions in half.
· Clean up garlic cloves and cut up some.
· Cut lemons in half.
· Clean up corn and cut in half.

Seasoning cooking water

This will vary some depending on pot size and amount of crawfish to be cooked. I will assume the pot will hold about 25 to 30 lbs. of crawfish (not quite a whole sack). Remember it is best not to try to over fill the pot when adding crawfish. Be sure to put basket into pot before cooking crawfish.

I only use Zatarain’s Shrimp & Crab boil. I find other brands require using a lot more to get the same results…. making other brands more expensive to use.

Crawfish (25 to 30 lbs.) 1 st Boil.. 2 nd Boil

1. Salt (26 oz box)............. 3.......... 2 ..........Potatoes........Small size is best
2. Black pepper (oz.) ..........½....... ½ ..........Corn....Cut in half if frozen, thaw
3. Red pepper (oz.)............ 2......... 1
4. Garlic (toes)................... 2 .........1
5. Liquid crab boil (oz) * ...15-20... 10-15 * .....“Premixed” seasoning can be used
6. Tabasco sauce (shake) [to taste] ~1 oz...... and all other ingredients can be
7. Onions (med. size) ..........6.......... 5 ..........reduced or eliminated. Taste and
8. Lemons (med. size)........ 8 ...........5 .........season. I do not use this seasoning
to cook crawfish or sprinkle it over cooked crawfish.

9. Butter for potatoes & corn (squeeze container)

Cooking

· Fill pot a little past half full and start heating.
· Add items 1 thru 7 above and bring to boil. Taste water and add more seasonings, as desired.
· Add crawfish
· Bring back to boil, cut down the fire some and stir. Boil about 5 more minutes. Taste crawfish
· Cut off fire, squeeze lemons over crawfish, stir crawfish and soak for 5 to 15 minutes. The longer the crawfish soak, the more spices they soak up.
· Taste and when ready ….serve

To cook Potatoes and corn

· After cooking the first batch of crawfish......add small potatoes to basket and put in water and bring to boil for 15 to 20 minutes. (Note: if not cooking more crawfish, add ½ cup of salt per 5 lbs. potatoes)
· If you are cooking some corn, add corn to pot after the potatoes have cooked for 8 to10 minutes. Continue to slow boil for 10 more minutes and potatoes and corn should be done. (Note: frozen corn should be allowed to completely thaw before cooking) No addition seasoning required if cooking only corn.
· If you want to cook another batch of crawfish….. After the potatoes boil for 5 minutes, Add seasonings for second Boil and add crawfish after the water is boiling again. After the water comes back to a boil…..add the corn. Stir the crawfish to get the corn down into the water. Cook for 5 minutes after it comes to a boil then turn off the fire to start the soak. Taste crawfish.
· Turn off fire. Squeeze lemons over crawfish, stir crawfish and soak for 5 to15 minutes. Taste and serve.
· Serve butter with potatoes and corn.

Miscellaneous items needed

· Tables and chairs for eating crawfish.
· News paper to cover tables.
· Table for putting seasoning on.
· Hose with spray nozzle.
· Old ice chest to store cooked crawfish in.
· Large trash can and bags for cleanup.
· Paper towels.
· Butter for corn and potatoes.
· Cold beer and other drinks.
· Stuff to make cocktail sauce. (optional)
· Small plastic bowls.(optional)
· Hot buttered French bread. (optional)
Old 02-11-2013, 07:49 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Since it's just mama an me an she don't eat bugs. I just call Tony seafood and tell them to bag me up 10 lbs a hot bugs. Go pick them up .Come home and Chow Down.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:33 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Use whatever method others suggested on the seasonings. But it you want them gushing with juice when you peel them then do this....After water is boiling, drop in your basket of crawfish. The water will stop boiling, once its is rolling again I only let it roll for 2 minutes and shut down the fire. Let them soak 15-20 min, but the way to get them full of juice is to cool down the water quickly. Dump a bag of ice in it while soaking and I also hose down the outside of the pot to cool it quicker. My take on this is that there is steam inside the crawfish body keeping the water out but if you cool them down slightly it draws in the liquid. That's my story and I'm stickin to it. But the juice pours out of them everytime!
Old 02-11-2013, 08:35 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,604

This is how I do mine they come out way better seasoned and juicier
You need 2 pots
boil crawfish in clear water pot have your seasoned water pot on the side on very very very low heat enough to keep them warm but no where near boiling and soak for 15-20minutes
Lemons are a must as well helps soften the shells for peeling as well as a nice flavor.
I boiled crawfish for a restaurant back in high school and that's how we did it there and it was JAM UP still use the technique today

Capt. Kade Shaw
Old 02-11-2013, 08:35 PM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

the only way I like mushrooms is in a crawfish boil, stick some sausage and onions in der too, oh me oh my!
Old 02-11-2013, 08:39 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPfishnTIM View Post
the only way I like mushrooms is in a crawfish boil, stick some sausage and onions in der too, oh me oh my!
Aww yeah, mushrooms and whole garlic cloves!
Old 02-11-2013, 08:41 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyShaw View Post
You need 2 pots
boil crawfish in clear water pot have your seasoned water pot on the side on very very very low heat enough to keep them warm but no where near boiling and soak for 15-20minutes
Lemons are a must as well helps soften the shells for peeling as well as a nice flavor.
I boiled crawfish for a restaurant back in high school and that's how we did it there and it was JAM UP still use the technique today

Capt. Kade Shaw

If I had two pots that's how I would do it too. Works great. But I have to use the cool down method instead.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:42 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyShaw View Post
You need 2 pots

Capt. Kade Shaw
I'm trying this for sure.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:50 PM
Kyocera Dealer

Cash: 1,526

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
Since it's just mama an me an she don't eat bugs. I just call Tony seafood and tell them to bag me up 10 lbs a hot bugs. Go pick them up .Come home and Chow Down.
Ratdog
Old 02-11-2013, 09:28 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,059

What's the perfect pot size to do one entire sack at a time?

BROWN FIN
Old 02-11-2013, 10:15 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,396

Throw in some red potatos and and sweet corn cobs broken in half. The potatoes soak up alot of seasoning and pack quite a punch
Old 02-11-2013, 11:04 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,660

I like using small cut frozen corn cobs. Don't worry about thawing. I think the ice method helps with peeling and stopping them from cooking allowing longer soak times. Try throwing a few sticks of butter for flavor and peeling. I prefer Cajunland seasoning. Using liquid boil is great to manage sodium intake since it has no salt or hardly any. I usually take a whole head of garlic and cut the bottom off. The flavor comes out and its easy to get some cloves that way. Throw in whole onions and when it's done just grab one and squeeze the heart out. Really sweet. No need to shake seasoning all over. That should be taken care of in the boil! Make one small batch for the ladies and amateur guys. The experienced men will drink a couple more beers and wait for the final batch. That's where the spice is!!!
http://www.bayouclassiccooking.com/decrkit.html
I think I have a pot like the above link. Seems like I can do a sack and a half at a time. You may be better with a smaller one, but bigger wont be a bad choice.

There's a ton of little things about crawfish boils to remember. It's not just crawfish that's expensive. Veggies, propane, trash bags, plastic bowls and spoons for dips, blah blah blah. A city park is good to use because the trash stays there and is payed by your tax dollars. Bring a hose to use their water if you do.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:48 PM
Redfish

Cash: 615

I've heard of whole garlic cloves. You guys eat them? I thought it was a flavoring thing.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:56 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,660

Hell yeah! If you like garlic, grab u one!