SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes)

The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes) What good is a cajun site without a cooking and recipe forum?

Old 02-12-2013, 12:21 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROWN FIN View Post
What's the perfect pot size to do one entire sack at a time?

BROWN FIN
IMO......In a 100 qt. pot you can cook up to a sack [35 lbs] of crawfish. If you put much more than that.....it will take longer to get the pot back up and boiling after you put the crawfish in and this starts to effect the quality and taste.

I use to use a 100 qt pot that was shapped about like the old tin garbage cans....it was fairly tall and not that big in diameter. Cooking a whole sack in that pot took way too long to get boiling again.

The shorter and larger diameter pots are better for boiling crawfish.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

I dont add ice ....... it dilutes the water. Instead I freeze 1/2 gallon jugs filled wuth water and drop 1 or 2 of them in there.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:37 AM
Flounder

Cash: 681

The biggest disappointment when I eat out or at someone else boils is when they sprinkle the seasoning on the out side. Thats when i would rater eat a damn hot dog from a gas station. Season the water and BOIL dem bugs!
Old 03-30-2013, 11:43 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-xpress View Post
The biggest disappointment when I eat out or at someone else boils is when they sprinkle the seasoning on the out side. Thats when i would rater eat a damn hot dog from a gas station. Season the water and BOIL dem bugs!
^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2013, 11:55 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,569

I used to do the ice thing. Always adjusting the water. Now, Water hose opened end(no nozzle) after fire is off, wet the outside the pot til it's stops steaming. Gets water below boiling temp. Crawfish loosens up, juice gets inside. No need to apply any seasoning in ice chest.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:02 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

Quote:
What's wrong with that?
Old 03-31-2013, 12:17 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
The first time I ate [stuffed myself] with the seasoning on the outside, my intestines hurt for the next few days and I had a hernia. This was because I ate so much of the seasoning that got on my fingers.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:04 PM
Flounder

Cash: 681

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjhooper82 View Post
What's wrong with that?
If you season the water correctly, you shouldnt have to cover the outside of the bugs with seasoning. 100qt pot, 1 sack of bugs, 1 container of your brand of choice of seasoning for a sack. 4 lemons halved and squeezed, 3 yellow onions halved, and whatever else you want to chunk in there. I always add a little extra cayanne pepper for the spice. Bring water to boil, add bugs, bring back to rolling boil, boill for 2 minuted and cut the fire, hose the outside of the pot or add a bag of ice to start the soak. Soak for 20-30 minutes....
Old 03-31-2013, 08:48 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,607

Season water with crab boil both powder and liquid. Cayenne pepper and garlic powder.
Bring water to a rolling boil and drop 1/3 sack of crawfish. Squeeze 8 lemons on top of each batch right after you drop them.
The key is too have the burner full blast to get the water boiling again ASAP!

I make three batches per sack so that there are always hot ones on the table. I would rather have people waiting on the next batch than bugs getting cold on the table.
Also, the small batches allow you to bring the water to a boil faster after you drop each sack.

Once water is boiling boil for 3 minutes. Cut off fire and drop ice on top. (Enough to cover top of crawfish.)

Let sit like that for ten minutes then dump on table and repeat it is a little more work making small batched but definitely worth it.

Also, increase the spice every batch so that once all the kids and women are full the last batch is hot enough to make you sweat and its just the men left eating.

Have been using this recipe for years and never failed me.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:05 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

1 pack Chackbay
1 box salt
1 small bottle liquid crab boil
1 bottle Italian dressing
3 cloves garlic cut in half
2 lbs. smoked sausage
1 tub shrooms
16 pcs corn
2lbs b potatoes
3lbs onions
6 lemons
1 sack of clean crawfish, I put them in a tub of water and rinse them with fresh water till the water turns clear.

I put half of all my seasoning in the pot and bring it to a boil. Add all the smoked sausage and vegetables except for half of the onions garlic and lemons. Boil that for 15 minutes. Add the rest of the seasoning and remaining vegetables let my water come back to a boil for 5 minutes then add the crawfish, let it come to a boil and boil them for 2 minutes. Let them soak till you think they good. I boil all my vegetables in a sack so after the crawfish are boiled I put the sack of veggies on top of the crawfish to help sink the crawfish and it also warms the vegetable back up.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:13 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,687

That Chackbay seasoning is the shiznit