SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes)

The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes) What good is a cajun site without a cooking and recipe forum?

Old 10-25-2013, 11:03 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeddler View Post
some good stuff here......

But guys, do yourselves a favor........if your grandmother, grandfather, mother....or ANY person you respect cooks.....

Have them right there recipes down for you.......nothing formal......just on whatever, from a big chief pad to a grocery bag.....

They will make fine fine framed art for you kitchen and unbeleivable hand me downs for those kids that cook.....
My grandma put to together a cook book a few years back glad she did cause I don't know what I would do without her fig cake. She has Parkinson's now and dementia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 10-25-2013, 11:03 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382760259.300918.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 10-26-2013, 12:38 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 918

I've only used my mom's "Talk About Good II" and called my grandmother for the rest.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:14 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,202

Retired from fire dept. so I was taught well on most all cooking phases.
When I need a cook book I go to Pirates Pantry or Jude Theriot.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:26 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,124

There is one recipe from my child hood dearly missed and try as I might I can't find it. I grew up in Port Barre and the older "maw-ma's" made an amazing pecan cake. It was yellow cake made in an oblong pan. Sometimes split with a thread into 2 layers. The frosting was this amazing chopped pecan sweet creamy topping that stayed soft or well firm but not hard. Folks usta f9ight for the corners as they had nore frosting than the rest. I remember waking up one time on Christmas eve before daylight sneaking to the kitchen passing the presents um touched to swipe 2 corners ofn mama's pecan cake she had prepared for the Christmas dinner. The spanking was almost worth it the next morning for the amazing cake. My mom was good about recipes and I have most of her favorites but she is gone now aS IS ALL THE OLD GALS WHO KNEW IT. Any one knows of anything that sounds similar I would be eternally grateful. I have experimented many times with ingredients but have never gotten it exactly right.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:29 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassYakR View Post
I usually just go off of memory from watching my mom or dad cook. If i do look up a recipe i never follow them completely.
X2. I'll use a cookbook if I want to try something completely new to me but I dont follow them exactly. Takes some of the fun out of it if you dont throw in your own twist.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:47 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
There is one recipe from my child hood dearly missed and try as I might I can't find it. I grew up in Port Barre and the older "maw-ma's" made an amazing pecan cake. It was yellow cake made in an oblong pan. Sometimes split with a thread into 2 layers. The frosting was this amazing chopped pecan sweet creamy topping that stayed soft or well firm but not hard. Folks usta f9ight for the corners as they had nore frosting than the rest. I remember waking up one time on Christmas eve before daylight sneaking to the kitchen passing the presents um touched to swipe 2 corners ofn mama's pecan cake she had prepared for the Christmas dinner. The spanking was almost worth it the next morning for the amazing cake. My mom was good about recipes and I have most of her favorites but she is gone now aS IS ALL THE OLD GALS WHO KNEW IT. Any one knows of anything that sounds similar I would be eternally grateful. I have experimented many times with ingredients but have never gotten it exactly right.
Use Duncan Hines yellow BUTTER recipe cake mix. Follow directions and bake in rectangular pan.

Your icing;
12 oz of evaporated milk
2 sticks of melted butter
1 1/2 cups of sugar
1 cup of toasted pecans chopped
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1/4 teaspoon of salt

Combine milk, sugar and bring to very slow boil for 10 minutes. Add butter and rest of ingredients cook for additional 3 minutes. Pour over warm, baked cake. Should do it.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:55 PM
Flounder

Cash: 628

not that old school but good stuff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg john-besh-my-new-orleans-cookbook-cover.jpg (133.8 KB, 59 views)