SaltyCajun.com lake Area Marine

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:44 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,054
Default This is why we wear our kill switches ...

Finished up nice morning fishing trip out of Anthony Ferry, heading back to the launch up Houston River going around 20-25 mph and WHAM !!!

Hit so hard it pulled the tiller out of my hand, spun the boat 180 degrees and came to a stop in the woods backwards... All this happened in a nano-second...

Luckily, I had my killswitch hooked to the lifevest I had on and it shut the engine down somewhere between the time I was ejected from my seat and before I landed in the front of the boat...

Dazed, wet, and confused, there is no way I would have been able to get to the engine and shut it down had I not been wearing my kill switch...

Luckily for me there are only bumps and bruises... Nothing was lost out of the boat as it spun rather flat (wide boat)... Engine, prop, prop shaft, jackplate, are all good...

I was able to find the stump after I regained composure and got out of the trees... Right past the first set of powerlines on the L/H side, a little off of center, 6 inches below the waterline... After several attempts I gave up on trying to pull it out with the boat, its in there solid...

Be safe guys, this could have ended much worse... This is the second time a kill switch has saved my ***...

Hydro
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATT38005.jpg (71.7 KB, 534 views)
Old 07-21-2012, 12:52 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,351

Glad you ok.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,505

If I'm not mistaken that stump back when I was a kid was above the waterline. I haven't been that way in a while. Could be a totally different stump. Glad you are ok. I had my kill switch save me yrs ago when I hit a sheet of plywood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

A lil girl was killed in Tejas Thursday because they had no kill switch hooked. The prop got her.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:07 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastmerc View Post
If I'm not mistaken that stump back when I was a kid was above the waterline. I haven't been that way in a while. Could be a totally different stump. Glad you are ok. I had my kill switch save me yrs ago when I hit a sheet of plywood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm going to bring some rope and Clorox jugs out next time to mark it... It sure as hell isnt going anywhere...

Hydro
Old 07-21-2012, 02:29 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 826

Glad you're ok hydro. Scary stuff. At least you didn't hit a wasp nest when you hit the bank.

sammich
Old 07-21-2012, 03:52 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

Thanks for the sobering reminder bud........Happy you are okay.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:17 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

Damn good job at that buddy! Glad you ok and we always wear our kill switch, but huge thanks and reminding us on why we do!
Old 07-21-2012, 04:25 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

One year coming back from a teal hunt I was running down the intracoastal and I stopped just short of gibbstown and took my kill switch off to adjust my motor. And thinking I just had to go right there I didn't hook it back up. Right after I got up to full speed (low-mid 40's) I hit a cross tie at water level. My buddy next to me was sitting in the pirogue another on the floor and one in front. Knocked tiller out of my hand and boat started doing bouncing 360s in the intracoastal. I was 3/4 out the boat when I finally got the tiller and killed the engine. I was soaking wet from hanging in the water. Bruised from the pirogues pinning me down. Teal all over the place. Just a bit more and I woulda fell in and the prop would have been right over me. After that I wear my kill switch to go a hundred yards.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:33 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjaredsandwich View Post
Glad you're ok hydro. Scary stuff. At least you didn't hit a wasp nest when you hit the bank.

sammich
Believe it or not, when things quit moving and I realized I wasnt dead or anything I said to myself...

"Self... Just lay here for a second, take it all in, and look for wasp nests before standing up to start un-assing the boat from the trees !!! "

Hydro
Old 07-21-2012, 05:26 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 9,560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
One year coming back from a teal hunt I was running down the intracoastal and I stopped just short of gibbstown and took my kill switch off to adjust my motor. And thinking I just had to go right there I didn't hook it back up. Right after I got up to full speed (low-mid 40's) I hit a cross tie at water level. My buddy next to me was sitting in the pirogue another on the floor and one in front. Knocked tiller out of my hand and boat started doing bouncing 360s in the intracoastal. I was 3/4 out the boat when I finally got the tiller and killed the engine. I was soaking wet from hanging in the water. Bruised from the pirogues pinning me down. Teal all over the place. Just a bit more and I woulda fell in and the prop would have been right over me. After that I wear my kill switch to go a hundred yards.
That right there sounds like an awful morning.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:00 PM
Flounder

Cash: 629

Glad your ok! Its happen to me on the Sabine here in Deweyville. When the river got low this past summer I took a ride and I could not believe the stumps and logs that I have been running W.O.T. over. I havent been back on the river this way since I seen that. When it happen to me I was so shook up I thought about sitting on the floor of my boat for the rest of the run back to the ramp!
Old 07-22-2012, 11:27 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by latex View Post
Glad your ok! Its happen to me on the Sabine here in Deweyville. When the river got low this past summer I took a ride and I could not believe the stumps and logs that I have been running W.O.T. over. I havent been back on the river this way since I seen that. When it happen to me I was so shook up I thought about sitting on the floor of my boat for the rest of the run back to the ramp!

I hear ya... Even though you're doing everything right, it does not mean things cant go wrong...

Pretty sore today, but thankful things turned out as well as they did...

Hydro