SaltyCajun.com http://www.matrixshad.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:42 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
Ok... you and Bob will be on this list next time. Just bring plenty to drink and a knife or two!

While you handing out invites
Old 12-06-2013, 07:46 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Gonna need a bigger pig.......

You never show anyway! So sure, come on!
Old 12-06-2013, 08:51 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Live in Youngsville and really like it, close to everything as the crow flies but not as the car drives - traffic is purty bad There is always always something going on in the area and its mainly free, and nearby they have a festival for everything you can think of - rice, crawfish, boudin, cracklin, frogs, rabbits A couple threads out there on where to go watching for women as well (no shortage of them)

Question to everyone else though - we live in Youngsville and are sending our child to private because we are hearing the schools are not that great, can someone fill me in on this? Green T Lyndon?
Old 12-06-2013, 09:14 AM
Blue Marlin

Milton elementary us supposed to be the best in the parish. Try getting them in there. Its not far from you at all.

I webt privare too. Tired of the B.S. in public
Old 12-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
Live in Youngsville and really like it, close to everything as the crow flies but not as the car drives - traffic is purty bad There is always always something going on in the area and its mainly free, and nearby they have a festival for everything you can think of - rice, crawfish, boudin, cracklin, frogs, rabbits A couple threads out there on where to go watching for women as well (no shortage of them)

Question to everyone else though - we live in Youngsville and are sending our child to private because we are hearing the schools are not that great, can someone fill me in on this? Green T Lyndon?
Don't believe that. GTL is an excellent schools, we go and have lunch with the kids and attend various school functions and it is unreal how well behaved all the children are. There is a heck of a lot more order than the private schools I went to. The teachers are very involved and attentive.

I have one in Kindergarten and one in 3rd grade (been there since Kindergarten). Their homework is constant and challenging, and the interaction from the teachers is on point - they TEACh, and both my children learn. It's very practical and hands on, not the memorization game that the private schools I attended played (I think the curriculum was).

I love where I live in Broussard, but don't like neighbors and not being able to shoot my guns in my underwear. We have been talking about moving to the country on some acreage for a few years now, and the only thing keeping us here is the education our kids are getting. We text back and forth with the teachers, it's personal.

The 5 year old didn't go to pre K, and is reading and righting already and he's halfway through the year. The homework he brings home forces him to think and put his hands on things, then bring them to school to put it into practice.

I.e Draw a balance, and on one side draw something that you like to play with, then on the other side of the balance draw the number of pennies that you think weigh the same as the object you chose. Bring the object to school tomorrow and we will compare it with the amount of pennies you chose. That was one item on his homework last night.

Or, if you have a cone standing up, draw the shape of the base... In kindergarten. Now, I know this curriculum is across the board, but the interaction with the teachers is what strikes me.

Don't be scared of the public schools there, your tax dollars are actually working in this area.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:32 AM
Swordfish

Default Opinions on moving to the Lafayette area ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
Milton elementary us supposed to be the best in the parish. Try getting them in there. Its not far from you at all.

I webt privare too. Tired of the B.S. in public
Have had zero BS.

One thing I know is that there is less Kim Karsashian, pop wanna be, fake face wanting, enhanced body envy at the public schools. The elitest, snobby daughters and sons frequent Laffy and surrounding private schools. Not that it doesn't exist, but it's wayyyyyy less prevalent. I have been around those parents and their little Hellian sons and daughters, and they are a cancer and downright mean - they were at my school, and every other private school I had friends at, and are the children of most people I meet that I wouldn't hang out with unless forced to...

Just my view and opinion, and I'm not saying all kids that go to private schools are that way. They aren't, by far, but the culture by demographic is inherently thicker at a private school... Where does a snob with money send their kid to school when they won't dare let them be educated in the same room as the lower income kids? You got it.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:32 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand16 View Post
Look at Youngsville or Carencro
If you decide to look in carencro be careful, alot of the newer neighborhoods have drainage problems and have flooded with heavy rainstorms.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
Have had zero BS.

One thing I know is that there is less Kim Karsashian, pop wanna be, fake face wanting, enhanced body envy at the public schools. The elitest, snobby daughters and sons frequent Laffy and surrounding private schools. Not that it doesn't exist, but it's wayyyyyy less prevalent. I have been around those parents and their little Hellian sons and daughters, and they are a cancer and downright mean - they were at my school, and every other private school I had friends at, and are the children of most people I meet that I wouldn't hang out with unless forced to...

Just my view and opinion, and I'm not saying all kids that go to private schools are that way. They aren't, by far, but the culture by demographic is inherently thicker at a private school... Where does a snob with money send their kid to school when they won't dare let them be educated in the same room as the lower income kids? You got it.

Exactly!! That's why private is the only option for me.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:41 AM
Blue Marlin

I'm in a different area tho. Woodvale/Allemon/Lafayette
Old 12-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Ling

Quote:
Don't believe that. GTL is an excellent schools, we go and have lunch with the kids and attend various school functions and it is unreal how well behaved all the children are. There is a heck of a lot more order than the private schools I went to. The teachers are very involved and attentive.

I have one in Kindergarten and one in 3rd grade (been there since Kindergarten). Their homework is constant and challenging, and the interaction from the teachers is on point - they TEACh, and both my children learn. It's very practical and hands on, not the memorization game that the private schools I attended played (I think the curriculum was).

I love where I live in Broussard, but don't like neighbors and not being able to shoot my guns in my underwear. We have been talking about moving to the country on some acreage for a few years now, and the only thing keeping us here is the education our kids are getting. We text back and forth with the teachers, it's personal.

The 5 year old didn't go to pre K, and is reading and righting already and he's halfway through the year. The homework he brings home forces him to think and put his hands on things, then bring them to school to put it into practice.

I.e Draw a balance, and on one side draw something that you like to play with, then on the other side of the balance draw the number of pennies that you think weigh the same as the object you chose. Bring the object to school tomorrow and we will compare it with the amount of pennies you chose. That was one item on his homework last night.

Or, if you have a cone standing up, draw the shape of the base... In kindergarten. Now, I know this curriculum is across the board, but the interaction with the teachers is what strikes me.

Don't be scared of the public schools there, your tax dollars are actually working in this area.
Thats good stuff there, my wife works at a private school and deep down I think she just wants him to be at her school and will feed me bull

What junior high/high school comes next? and what about those schools?
Old 12-06-2013, 10:02 AM
Flounder

Cash: 924

Just moved to Broussard and enjoy it, moved into a new subdivision that still under construction I got a park rt down the road to work my dog in the field and pond there's plenty of restaurants, grocery stores, hardware stores specialty meats stores, archery and gun shops all in the area, the downside I see in it is that it's expanding in size but the roads aren't and only see traffic getting worse and to get up to I-10 can be a real pain in the ace depending on where you want to go play for the weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2013, 01:16 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618

i'd go with crowley...it will open up lake charles as an option for plenty of NDT work...and closer to big lake..
Old 12-06-2013, 02:07 PM
Redfish

Cash: 850

Gooh (not GOOCH) (lol, I crack up when I used to see people call u that), I teach at GTL and also run the YMCA program after school. I have been here for 9 years. I love it. GTL is an awesome school and we just received an A rating from the state. Gooh, you are right about the teachers. We have some very talented ones here but the shame of it is, is that we lost several with all the new requiremens put on educators. Some of the teachers that we lost to early retirement were beyond special and would go way out of their way to help kids.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:20 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATails View Post
Just moved to Broussard and enjoy it, moved into a new subdivision that still under construction I got a park rt down the road to work my dog in the field and pond there's plenty of restaurants, grocery stores, hardware stores specialty meats stores, archery and gun shops all in the area, the downside I see in it is that it's expanding in size but the roads aren't and only see traffic getting worse and to get up to I-10 can be a real pain in the ace depending on where you want to go play for the weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Off Morgan by roundabout?

"Go ahead, share your opinion! I won't cry"
Old 12-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

Milton(beyond great) and GTL(heard great things about). I say no to private bc I'm not friends anymore with anyone out of the bunch of ppl I knew that went to private schools.... That just strikes me as odd?!?! Public school systems I believe teach you a great curriculum and at the same time don't try and go above and beyond(re inventing the wheel) to try enhance learning just because you pay more. Idk... My .02... My be bull but that's what I think. I didn't wanna rant on religion

Old 12-06-2013, 04:13 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgizzle View Post
Off Morgan by roundabout?

Hey, you stay on your side of the parkway buddy
Old 12-06-2013, 04:15 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeing Spots View Post
Gooh (not GOOCH) (lol, I crack up when I used to see people call u that), I teach at GTL and also run the YMCA program after school. I have been here for 9 years. I love it. GTL is an awesome school and we just received an A rating from the state. Gooh, you are right about the teachers. We have some very talented ones here but the shame of it is, is that we lost several with all the new requiremens put on educators. Some of the teachers that we lost to early retirement were beyond special and would go way out of their way to help kids.
They probably call me that on purpose cause I act like one sometimes! Lol

If you need to discuss my kids' behavior, I'm now only able to participate in parent teacher meetings from a boat!
Old 12-10-2013, 02:22 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeing Spots View Post
Good to hear, I am trying to convince my wife to let our child go there. She teaches private and has always dreamed of the day when she could take our little one to school with her. I think I am losing the battle and going to have to come to terms with it.
The only review we have of GTL is from our neighbor who is extremely protective of her children (you know the type). A stay at home mother and her kids can do no wrong (its the teachers fault yada yada) but her kids are very misbehaved but she really just wants them to be at home with her is the real reason. I finally convinced the wife that this lady is nuts and her opinion is worthless but I am still losing the battle
Old 12-10-2013, 02:24 PM
Ling

Quote:

what private school did you go to again? with W?

just saw this and had to poke fun
Old 12-10-2013, 02:30 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
what private school did you go to again? with W?

just saw this and had to poke fun
Hahahaha! My phone had other things in mind. It's actually spelled "riding"