SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs)

The Tackle Box (Lures, Baits, Rigs) Discuss everything related to tackle here, including making your own

Old 02-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 680

Tim's and mine.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:39 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUACKHEAD View Post
Adam, I think it will be good around the rigs for most of what we will catch. You might have a couple that will strip it out a ways, but hopefully Tim will be able to release from the anchor and you guys can chase it down. What pound test you have on it. 30 or better should be ok for the average amberjack, hopefully we can get into some mangrove snapper or a few other good eaters out there. I think Tim will have enough gear on his boat while you guy's are jigging and chumming. I am still looking for an old type crank meat grinder for the chum. I hope I can find one before the trip.
I am going to go to a few garage sales this weekend and look for one. If not I'll have to slide the electric one out the back door while loading the boat, along with my 1200 watt generator and hope the wife don't see it.

check your pm
Old 02-17-2010, 09:42 PM
Tripletail

Your grand pa probly got it before you were born, but it is still a good rod. Real good for bull reds, average snapper, and other 20-30 lbs catches. But if you don't try to winch a catch in you can get 60 - 75 pound class up to the boat for the gaff to pull em over. I'm gonna use it for bait catching.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:43 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUACKHEAD View Post
Adam, I think it will be good around the rigs for most of what we will catch. You might have a couple that will strip it out a ways, but hopefully Tim will be able to release from the anchor and you guys can chase it down. What pound test you have on it. 30 or better should be ok for the average amberjack, hopefully we can get into some mangrove snapper or a few other good eaters out there. I think Tim will have enough gear on his boat while you guy's are jigging and chumming. I am still looking for an old type crank meat grinder for the chum. I hope I can find one before the trip.
I am going to go to a few garage sales this weekend and look for one. If not I'll have to slide the electric one out the back door while loading the boat, along with my 1200 watt generator and hope the wife don't see it.

i have 50lb braid on that rod. probly will break the reel if i hook up with something big
Old 02-17-2010, 09:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsfence View Post
man I'm pumped like w in a corky store..... I'm ready been trying to get to get my clothes together and rods ready my wife has told me to shut up about 500 times over this trip

please buy a spot epirb and a CG approved dry suit, possibly a switlik rescue pod
Old 02-17-2010, 09:45 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaAngler View Post
please buy a spot epirb and a CG approved dry suit, possibly a switlik rescue pod

Could save your life right there.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:46 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

Quote:
i have 50lb tow strap on that rod. probly will break the reel if i hook up with something big
There ya go!
Old 02-17-2010, 09:55 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

Yall have a good time be safe.

If you find a size 8 Columbia sandle on GI let me know I lost it there a few years back.

That night made for a very long day at the Lump.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:55 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaAngler View Post

what is the spot epirb and a switlik......i don't know anything about offshore fishing
Old 02-17-2010, 10:01 PM
Great White

Quote:
what is the spot epirb and a switlik......i don't know anything about offshore fishing

idk...sounded like it could save your life though..
Old 02-17-2010, 10:19 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 843

Quote:
an epirb is a GPS tracking unit that is used by coast guard and other rescue groups to locate you incase of an emergency
Old 02-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Tripletail

It sends out an electronic alert to the coast guard it's location. The dry suit will protect you for about 4 hours from the water temp we have, and will keep the sharks away for about .08 seconds. The extra boat is not a bad idea and is located in the dry hold on the passenger side of my boat. If I can make it to my VHF radio and hit the panic button and the coast guard can get a reading on it, they will be come out there ...hopefully. That is why we are going in TWO boats IF the weather permits and the SEA CONDITIONS permit. We both know the limits of our boats and skill and we will not let a fish get in the way of safety. There is always another day as long as you let SAFETY be in charge. I do appreiciate everyones concern. Both of us has vessels designed for this type of travel as long as we use our experience. I also know that the weather and knowing what changes in the weather has a lot to do with a safe trip. If the seas are 3 ft or more and or is to be 3 to 4 foot later in the day, It will not happen. Can something happen, sure it can. you can only be prepared to best of your ability, file a float path with some one you know, and stick to the plan.
No I don't have a 150 foot crew boat to go out there in, but we are not going in 14 foot flatbottoms either.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:11 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

You can rent an eprib from BoatUS.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:32 PM
Tripletail

Thanks for the info, I will check on it.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:16 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

http://www.boatus.com/foundation/EPI...T.mc_id=400087
Old 02-18-2010, 01:04 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

And don't under estimate the need for a good anchor at the Lump.

Anchor........10+ feet of heavy chain and 600 feet of rope. And one of those big "balls/floats" to use to get the anchor up from the bottom.....that is a neat way to lift the anchor up to the surface.

On the chum.......recommend you have it all prepaired before you go out on the water. That way you can spend your time fishing and not getting the chum ready.

Have a rod all set up with a steel leader and baited......for when a big Wahoo comes swimming by 15 feet from the boat.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:57 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Now it says high of 57 low of 42.......ugh.......guess ill repack my clothes. LOL!!!! Adam, that should be enough rod for rig fishing. We got that 50 and 30 wide for the chum and trolling fishing......for the anchor, I have a big brake drum I found and a bunch of bugee cords......figure ill just throw that in water when I'm done. Don't wanna have to pull it up! Bruce, thanks for he advise. Like I said the other day, that's on the shopping list bud.....and before you way it, no we ain't gonna die.........were gonna be careful, no worries, like quack said, we ain't in no 30 fters, but we ain't in no flat bottoms either!!!! I know my old tank is ready for what ever we get into............OK, time for bed.......
Old 02-18-2010, 09:22 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
Now it says high of 57 low of 42.......ugh.......guess ill repack my clothes. LOL!!!! Adam, that should be enough rod for rig fishing. We got that 50 and 30 wide for the chum and trolling fishing......for the anchor, I have a big brake drum I found and a bunch of bungee cords......figure ill just throw that in water when I'm done. Don't wanna have to pull it up! Bruce, thanks for he advise. Like I said the other day, that's on the shopping list bud.....and before you way it, no we ain't gonna die.........were gonna be careful, no worries, like quack said, we ain't in no 30 fters, but we ain't in no flat bottoms either!!!! I know my old tank is ready for what ever we get into............OK, time for bed.......

what you gonna do with those!
Old 02-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
Oh there will be pictures!!!! There's a lingerie show that weekend!!! I may enter quackhead!!!! Hahahaja

Aint happenin. Homie don't play that ****!

Hey guy's I appreiciate all your suggestions, and it shows me you are all concerned with our safety. Thank you. Tim and I have been planning this trip for well over a month now. Your comments are comforting knowing we have others giving us ideas for our safety. Safety is our #1 item to pack for such a trip. We are going out in 2 boats, Tim's boat and mine. We will be within site every minute of the trip, and both have radio's(VHF) in the boats. We both have chart plotters along with extra GPS's. We both have 600' of anchor rope with 20' or more of heavy chain. We will file a fishing/float path with the marina with a expected time of return. Our family will also have this info with the understanding if we do not call by a certain time they are to call the coast guard and give them our coord's.There are several rigs along the way and from my experiances they all monitor VHF 16 and are willing to help within their means. I use to be a medic out there and have helped with situations of such. We are open to suggestions, but some things are just out of our budget, but will be looked hard at to fit our trip. Thanks. If anyone else would like to follow in their boat, come on, we should have a good time and still room for four more at the cabin.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:38 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Question......phone is wifi capable......will I be able to access a rigs wifi signal??? That would be a HUGE benefit! !!