Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 11-17-2010, 08:25 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpox View Post
Naw 2 thanksgivings ago fritz n I were fishing in 30 mph winds in fourchon drifting canals ..... More like setting land speed records due to the current/ wind and it bottomed out between the rollers and spun around the hit a ledge on the bank....... I was to busy fishing to stop the boat..... Snapped it
When there are rollers in the fourchon canals you probably dont need to be fishing
Old 11-17-2010, 09:14 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 654

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyH View Post
Guess I need the long shaft so I dont have to bend over lol. So I'll be keeping my eyes open for a 24v 80lb and if I can't find a deal on one soon, Im just gonna get a new one.

Anyone have the remote control for the MK? Im just not sure if I want a hand tiller or remote. I have a foot control right now and I dont really care for it.
The remote takes a long time to get used to. Sometimes it is better sometimes not. you don't have to be in the front of the boat to control it. and when you are trolling a bank if you have auto pilot it is nice to set it and go. Or around a rig it will keep you going in same direction or hold you on a spot pretty well. But if you are fighting a fish and need to move away from the bank/rig a tiller is better beacause you can just nudge it with your knee. Also can't spin it around as fast as a tiller. The remote one does not bounce nearly as much when stowed because the top is basically just a plastic housing, so it doesn't weigh much. So all in all it comes down to personal preference. Sometimes I think it is the best invention in the world and others I want to throw it in the water.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:29 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

we have the 19ft nautic star and have an 82 motorguide/24v and if you fish A LOT and stay out ALLL day then you'd want a 36v, but if your just the average fisherman the 80lb should be plenty. If ours would break I'd get a 36v though. Just nice to know you can chase birds all day if you gotta lol O and I don't know how long ours is, but whatever it is I'd like longer so get a long shaft one
Old 11-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

I have the 80 Minkota 24 volt and have no issues.
It lasts all day if needed, but I only fish till noon.
If I go back in the evening, it still has some juice left.
I like the built in battery indicator that tells you how much juice you have left in the batteries.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:02 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
I have the 80 Minkota 24 volt and have no issues.
It lasts all day if needed, but I only fish till noon.
If I go back in the evening, it still has some juice left.
I like the built in battery indicator that tells you how much juice you have left in the batteries.
yeah im pretty sure the minnkota is way better than the motorguide... I have fished 10 hrs straight with my minnkota 80
Old 11-17-2010, 09:12 PM
Redfish

Cash: 660

I appreciate everyones feedback on trollers. I went by gander mountain today but they didnt have anything larger than a 55 in stock. I might go by cabelas soon if I can't find a good used 80lb MK.

If I want to have a MK on-board charger for 24v worth of trolling batteries, is it common to run a 3bank charger so that you can have it hooked up to 2trolling batts and 1starting batt? Is it normal to run the on-board charger to the starting batt or should I just not worry about it?
Old 11-17-2010, 09:37 PM
Great White

I have mine hooked up to all three of my batteries although i dont think you have to but better safe than sorry

Check these dual pros out...http://www.dualpro.com/store/items/9/22/

they are factory reconditioned so cheaper than buying the brand new and same price as the mk 345... I was gonna buy another minn kota when my last one burned up then i read all the positive reviews about dual pro out there
Old 11-18-2010, 10:28 PM
Redfish

Going to Cabelas tomorrow (Friday). Not sure what all I'm gonna get but I plan on checking out the bargain cave to see what gps's they have. If I don't get one, at least I will be able to play with all the ones available so I'll know what to add to my Christmas list. Checking out the trolling motors too
Old 11-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,466

101 only because there is not a 150
Old 11-19-2010, 08:29 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

Quote:
Originally Posted by evis102 View Post
101 only because there is not a 150
agreed!
Old 11-19-2010, 09:53 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,604

what you end up gettin ricky?
Old 11-19-2010, 10:26 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Minnkota makes a 160lb thrust you mount on your engine. http://www.minnkotamotors.com/produc...saltwater.aspx
Old 11-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Redfish

Well, I had told myself all day and along the way to cabela's that I was coming home with a trolling motor. I got there and did see any riptides in the bargain cave so I said ok, I'll just pay full price for the 80lb tiller handle troller. I walked downstairs and told the saleman what I wanted and he said they don't stock anything over 55lb! It was 8:30pm at this time and I was thinking, I just drove 2.5hrs for nothing. So I played with the GPS's and went back to the bargain cave to see the discounted GPS's. As I was browsing around more, I noticed a MK Riptide box under the shelf so I pull it out and it said 80LB. I unboxed it and it was the Autopilot, long shaft(60"), 80lb with the remote. My eyes lit up until I looked at the top of the troller. The top was kinda of smashed but I though it might just be cosmetic. Not knowing where the sensors, or circuit boards, etc are, I took apart the top piece on the troller and noticed it was only wires were there. So I got them to discount it more and I only need the bottom shell piece of the top of the troller to make it look brand new. We didnt get home until past midnight so I tested it this morning and it works perfect. To me, its an easy fix and I got it for a great deal. Im happy, now I just have to hook it up to the boat and install my batteries/wires. I'll post a pic later.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:18 PM
Sailfish

LUCKY! Son of a Beach! Thats awesome man i need to come across something like that!
Old 11-21-2010, 10:48 PM
Redfish

Got my trolling motor and batteries hooked up today. Works great! Im lacking on pics but I'll try and get some tomorrow.

Also, got my amp installed today and should be starting on the fiberglass enclosure to hold my 4 6" speakers overhead hopefully tomorrow.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:53 AM
Sailfish

Awesome! Post some pics fool!
Old 11-22-2010, 07:51 PM
Redfish

The bottom half of the top casing needs to be replaced so I taped a plastic bag over it in the mean time. The replacement part is fairly cheap so thats a good thing.

I got my amp mounted, now I need to make a mount for the speakers

Old 11-22-2010, 08:11 PM
Redfish

Also, the TM is mounted pretty far off the boat but that's just how it is. When deployed, the TM shaft is suppose to be 1.5" away from the boat. It worked great and I like the remote control.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 655

thanks for the info Salty Shaw i have an 18 ft. bluewave been anchoring for 2 years now time for me to get off some of my money so matress will be level and get a trolling motor
Old 12-21-2010, 09:50 PM
Sailfish

get on it podna! i plan on upgrading to an 80 and a powerpole as soon as my motorcycle sells!

looks good ricky! What kind of boat is that? i wish i had all that space under my console but i have a hughjass gas tank there.
What size speakers are you going with?