SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 06-27-2011, 12:22 AM
Redfish

Cash: 846
Default new boat

For those considering the new H22B-ss xpress bay boat. Here is a little update. I had a hard time finding good information for this hull. I had currently owned a 175 HP Suzuki 4 stroke with about 60 hrs on it. I wanted a boat that could get a good speed, but cruise at 40 MPH at 4000 - 4500 RPM. I hit the nail on the head with this hull. Max speed it 56mph with 2 guys and all fishing gear. Cruise at 40MPH at 4300RPM. I do a lot of saltwater fishing from the duck ponds to the gulf. I included a 6 inch hydrollic jack plate with the hull. I have recently taken the boat out to coon point, Timberlair Island, Nstar, pickets, ECT... I was very impressed.. In a true 2ft chop the boat handled great.. Keep your nose down and run (no problems, very smooth and dry expecially running nose into the waves, but also pretty good with cross waves) I got into some rough stuff heading in from timberlair Island (some solid 4 footers) No BS, it wasn't fun, but got through and never felt unsafe. Try to idle though it at first 15 MPH or so and it sucked. Finnally got pissed and gave it some throttle and WOW!! much better ride.. I'm sure a heavy glass hull would do better, but it wasn't too bad.. I won't go out in 4ft chop in any 22ft boat, but as we all know the gulf can pick up quick and she got me in safe and not too banged up. The big plus side.. I went red fishing behind my camp in bayou Savin, ran the boat in some really shallow places. With the jackplate the hull was able to jump out of 10 inches of water with out a problem. Granted this was marsh mud not sand. So far, I am very impressed with the hull and motor combination.. Hear are a few pics..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0057.jpg (63.7 KB, 894 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0056.jpg (53.7 KB, 900 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0043.jpg (56.9 KB, 895 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0039.jpg (61.4 KB, 892 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0058.jpg (65.5 KB, 894 views)
Old 06-27-2011, 12:41 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,104

Yeah, those hulls are pretty sweet. I found that the hulls don't last in too good a shape if you run into cypress knees, trees, crab traps, docks, other boats, stumps and such. And that black rubber running along the sides, will pop out eventually in some chop. Had to put it back in with my knife on FLiesitdies' boat and got a couple cuts.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:30 AM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron man View Post
Yeah, those hulls are pretty sweet. I found that the hulls don't last in too good a shape if you run into cypress knees, trees, crab traps, docks, other boats, stumps and such. And that black rubber running along the sides, will pop out eventually in some chop. Had to put it back in with my knife on FLiesitdies' boat and got a couple cuts.
I hit a good stump in Toledo Bend at cruisin speed and so far so good, not even a scratch.. All in all its aluminium I plan to beat it up.. As long as the ride is not affected, I'm not too worried..
Old 06-27-2011, 07:05 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Mike P. View Post
I hit a good stump in Toledo Bend at cruisin speed and so far so good, not even a scratch.. All in all its aluminium I plan to beat it up.. As long as the ride is not affected, I'm not too worried..
I couldn't beat a boat up. The boat I was talking about is, was and always will be abused. Its sad the kind of shape that boat is in. Aluminum is pretty tuff, but the paint job will take a beating.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:56 AM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron man View Post
I couldn't beat a boat up. The boat I was talking about is, was and always will be abused. Its sad the kind of shape that boat is in. Aluminum is pretty tuff, but the paint job will take a beating.
I'm glad too hear the aluminum is holding up... Yeah it's ashame the paint will not hold up, but ugly boats catch fish too..
Old 06-27-2011, 04:44 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

Nice rig!
Old 06-27-2011, 05:50 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,503

nice sled whats the max hp on these boats? 56 is pretty good with the 175
Old 06-27-2011, 08:46 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder_smacker View Post
nice sled whats the max hp on these boats? 56 is pretty good with the 175
The web site says 150 hp max, but you can buy the upgraded hydrollic steering and get it rated for a 200 HP. 56 MPH is what I expected when I bought the boat. Hull weight is 1200 lbs. The x22b is a little heavier at 1600 lbs. Its the same hull with a little different layout.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

nice sled
Old 06-27-2011, 08:50 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidellkid View Post
Nice rig!
Thanks
Old 06-27-2011, 08:57 PM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Quote:
The web site says 150 hp max, but you can buy the upgraded hydrollic steering and get it rated for a 200 HP. 56 MPH is what I expected when I bought the boat. Hull weight is 1200 lbs. The x22b is a little heavier at 1600 lbs. Its the same hull with a little different layout.

I have the X22B and I believe it has a weight of 1,700#. I have a 150 yamaha 4 stoke. With 3 people full tank (44gal) and gear I run 40mph at 4700 rpms and get a solid 4 mpg.....max speed is 47-50 and I have a 19" prop with a 6" jack plate. Suprised the H22 only has a weight of 1,200 lbs since it has the hyperlift hull just like mine and the same lenght...both are .125" thick alum. I wonder how they reduced the weight by 500lbs....Are you sure 1,200 it the actual weight. It could be a type-o on their web site.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:00 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by all star rod View Post
I have the X22B and I believe it has a weight of 1,700#. I have a 150 yamaha 4 stoke. With 3 people full tank (44gal) and gear I run 40mph at 4700 rpms and get a solid 4 mpg.....max speed is 47-50 and I have a 19" prop with a 6" jack plate. Suprised the H22 only has a weight of 1,200 lbs since it has the hyperlift hull just like mine and the same lenght...both are .125" thick alum. I wonder how they reduced the weight by 500lbs....Are you sure 1,200 it the actual weight. It could be a type-o on their web site.
I was curious about the weight myself, but I was going by what the web said. I'll check with my dealer when I get home. Unfortunantly, I'm oversea's and can only watch as you all catch fish, but I sure do try to make up for it on my time off
Old 06-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Great White

With having the 175 hp, did you have to move from the bay star to the sea star for the hydraulic steering....First thing I did when I got mine in 2009 was take all the stickers off. The only sticker I have on mine is the X22B one. Also, I wish I would of got the cream color on the inside like you did. I have the white which is very bright on sunny days.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:02 AM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by all star rod View Post
With having the 175 hp, did you have to move from the bay star to the sea star for the hydraulic steering....First thing I did when I got mine in 2009 was take all the stickers off. The only sticker I have on mine is the X22B one. Also, I wish I would of got the cream color on the inside like you did. I have the white which is very bright on sunny days.
I was only told it was an upgrade to the star, not sure if it is sea star or bay. How hard was it to remove those decals? I plan to remove mine as soon as they show signs of peeling.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Quote:
I was only told it was an upgrade to the star, not sure if it is sea star or bay. How hard was it to remove those decals? I plan to remove mine as soon as they show signs of peeling.
Only bad thing is if you wait long it will leave outline of sticker
Old 06-28-2011, 12:13 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Quote:
Heat gun or blow drier will get it done.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:41 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
Heat gun or blow drier will get it done.
X2, I used a blow drier. Stickers came off pretty easy.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:31 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 656

Quote:
For those considering the new H22B-ss xpress bay boat. Here is a little update. I had a hard time finding good information for this hull. I had currently owned a 175 HP Suzuki 4 stroke with about 60 hrs on it. I wanted a boat that could get a good speed, but cruise at 40 MPH at 4000 - 4500 RPM. I hit the nail on the head with this hull. Max speed it 56mph with 2 guys and all fishing gear. Cruise at 40MPH at 4300RPM. I do a lot of saltwater fishing from the duck ponds to the gulf. I included a 6 inch hydrollic jack plate with the hull. I have recently taken the boat out to coon point, Timberlair Island, Nstar, pickets, ECT... I was very impressed.. In a true 2ft chop the boat handled great.. Keep your nose down and run (no problems, very smooth and dry expecially running nose into the waves, but also pretty good with cross waves) I got into some rough stuff heading in from timberlair Island (some solid 4 footers) No BS, it wasn't fun, but got through and never felt unsafe. Try to idle though it at first 15 MPH or so and it sucked. Finnally got pissed and gave it some throttle and WOW!! much better ride.. I'm sure a heavy glass hull would do better, but it wasn't too bad.. I won't go out in 4ft chop in any 22ft boat, but as we all know the gulf can pick up quick and she got me in safe and not too banged up. The big plus side.. I went red fishing behind my camp in bayou Savin, ran the boat in some really shallow places. With the jackplate the hull was able to jump out of 10 inches of water with out a problem. Granted this was marsh mud not sand. So far, I am very impressed with the hull and motor combination.. Hear are a few pics..
Hey pal,,,

compared to a 22ft fiberglas, how does it ride in rough water. i know you gave a review but looking for a little comparison..

I have rode in the 17ft bass boat, and for a 17ft with the hyperlift hull it rode pretty well. Does teh h22b get up on the pad like bass boats?
Old 07-11-2012, 09:03 AM
Redfish

Cash: 776

really nice looking ride.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:05 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchauvin View Post
Hey pal,,,

compared to a 22ft fiberglas, how does it ride in rough water. i know you gave a review but looking for a little comparison..

I have rode in the 17ft bass boat, and for a 17ft with the hyperlift hull it rode pretty well. Does teh h22b get up on the pad like bass boats?
There is no comparison to the ride of a fiberglass bay boat with most aluminum hulls