SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 06-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 813
Default Trout Limits

Borrowing this from another post.....always an interesting topic.

What is everyone's opinion on LA Trout Limits? Most of TX is 10 or 5. LA still has the most liberal limits of any state on Gulf Coast.

What about size minimums? Ours is 12 inches, TX is 14 inches.

I for one would like to see minimum raised to 14 inches, to increase the spawn. Science has proven that this is the best spawning size for trout.

I'm ok with 15 per person limit (calcasieu limit), 25 on the east side is just silly, but would rather see it at 10. Still plenty of meat to take home. Nobody says you have to stop catching at 10, just can't keep em. Lots more people on the water this day & age than what there used to be.

Thats my 2 cents.......blast away!
Old 06-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

I agree on the 14inch trout size limit!! Dont think 15 trout per person is necessary but I like the 15 trout limit!!! I release a ton of trout a year and keep a lot of trout per year!!! In what I learned is if you manage a good healthy estuary you fish take care of them selves!! One of the most Knowledgeable guides on Big Lake wanted to keep the 25 trout per person!!! He said you can only hold so many trout in one area and you will never fish them out with rod n reel

I think if you lower your trout limites to low then you will over pouplate your area!!
Take a crawfish pond for example....You must take crawfish out of you pond everyday to get them to grow in size....If you dont take out the right number in a given area you will have overload with small crawfish.....

Same with trout!!! Most lay eggs under 14inch and there are millions of trout 14inchs and under!!! I think too many trout willl shrink your size per trout as small ones eat up the food resource quicker!!! Thats my outlook!!!!
Old 06-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

There are limits set for a reason. The LDWF takes into account all the people that fish here and they would change that if it was necessary. We have the largest estuary for trout in Louisiana especially south central/south east Louisiana that is why the limits are higher on that side of the state. If anyone thought for a second that it was hurting the population it would change. Look at red snapper for instance people are catching huge amounts of them but can only keep two due to the fact the govt thinks they might be in danger.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:15 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 714

I think whoever wrote this fishes everyday or at least more than most get a chance to. If I could only fish 2 or 3 times a year, I would be looking for somewhere to fish where the limit was the highest so I could stock up! Trout are plentiful here. Texas just sucks!
Old 06-09-2009, 02:19 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

I like the limit how it is. I think size limit should stay the same. I also think they should put the redfish size limit down to 12-14 in.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 600

I would be for the 14" limit but keep the bag the same. Or maybe going with a slot (which i think they do a lot on the east coast).
Old 06-09-2009, 02:28 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,503

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrost View Post
Borrowing this from another post.....always an interesting topic.

What is everyone's opinion on LA Trout Limits? Most of TX is 10 or 5. LA still has the most liberal limits of any state on Gulf Coast.

What about size minimums? Ours is 12 inches, TX is 14 inches.

I for one would like to see minimum raised to 14 inches, to increase the spawn. Science has proven that this is the best spawning size for trout.

I'm ok with 15 per person limit (calcasieu limit), 25 on the east side is just silly, but would rather see it at 10. Still plenty of meat to take home. Nobody says you have to stop catching at 10, just can't keep em. Lots more people on the water this day & age than what there used to be.

Thats my 2 cents.......blast away!

well if you think it should be 10 then dont keep more than 10. nobody said you had to keep 15 or 25. im pretty sure the biologist working for the state have a pretty good idea on what we should keep and throw back. i personally think the trout size should be raise to 16 and let all them little ones spawn like crazy and then limiting out 25 trout 16 and over would be a challenge.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:32 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
I agree on the 14inch trout size limit!! One of the most Knowledgeable guides on Big Lake wanted to keep the 25 trout per person!!! He said you can only hold so many trout in one area and you will never fish them out with rod n reel
That same guide has been quoted as saying that a 15 trout limit was the best thing to ever happen to Big Lake.

But I agree with you, that you have to correctly manage the population.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Banned

it's hard to prove your point by saying LDWF knows what they are doing....LOL

follow the MONEY
Old 06-09-2009, 02:36 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
There are limits set for a reason. The LDWF takes into account all the people that fish here and they would change that if it was necessary. We have the largest estuary for trout in Louisiana especially south central/south east Louisiana that is why the limits are higher on that side of the state. If anyone thought for a second that it was hurting the population it would change. Look at red snapper for instance people are catching huge amounts of them but can only keep two due to the fact the govt thinks they might be in danger.
I've talked with LDWF several times on this issue. They do not have the funding to correctly manage the trout fishery. They have told me this. They manage the SPR ranges on trout statewide, and generally issue a best guess on the health of the fishery statewide. They rely heavily on public input, either from charter captains or CCA or whomever.

Red Snapper debacle is a perfect example of fisheries mis-management.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrost View Post
That same guide has been quoted as saying that a 15 trout limit was the best thing to ever happen to Big Lake.

But I agree with you, that you have to correctly manage the population.

I love the 15 trout limit myself!! Don't get me wrong!! I have been fishing Big Lake for 25 years and I find you have GOOD years and Bad Years!!! The one thing I dont like on our lake is the Weirs!!! They should let it flow like mother nature wanted it to!!! Put rock to keep erosion down but dont manage the water flow!!!! Im just a fisherman what do I know!!!
Old 06-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

meau said:
Quote:
We have the largest estuary for trout in Louisiana especially south central/south east Louisiana that is why the limits are higher on that side of the state

That is not exactly true.

The reason the limit in SW Louisiana was lowered, had nothing to do with the fish population, any change in the habitat or any recommendation from the LDWF. Big Lake trout fishing and the trout population were doing just fine before the change was made.

Why was the limit lowered.......because some of the CCA members and a few Big Lake guides "THOUGHT" there was too much fishing pressure and convienced the LDWF that it would be good "Pro-active" move to make the change......before there was a problem. This made all the supporters "FEEL GOOD" that they had "SAVED" the trout in Big Lake.

I think this same reasioning should apply to ALL of Louisiana. Why not!!!
Old 06-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Banned

this isn't just about big lake, seems like a lot of the cocodrie/dularge fish are < 14"

reading troutmasters book the other day (Poe's section) and it said the fishery on big lake was better in the late 90's than now, lot of small fish now, is it because of the storms or the limits?

talked to another one of the "best of the best" big lake guys, he said there are less big trout on the lake now due to more people fishing for them and not releasing......

who knows....
Old 06-09-2009, 02:47 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaAngler View Post
reading troutmasters book the other day (Poe's section) and it said the fishery on big lake was better in the late 90's than now, lot of small fish now, is it because of the storms or the limits?
Has alot to do with storms/coastal eroision. Loss of marshes & habitat for shrimp, crabs, etc.

All the marshes Rita & Ike killed.....fishing could take a hit in the next couple of years.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Back in the late 80's early 90's you could go to big lake and catch 300 trout easy!!! No problem...But look back and there were only a hand full of guide boats!!!! I don't think the trout population has changed. I thinks is harder to catch fish because of all the boats that don't know how to fish!!! Just like Sunday..Were on fish one after another until this boat comes right behind us and dropped anchor on the reef where casting on!!! Right there he keep us from a limit of trout!!!
Old 06-09-2009, 02:51 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
meau said:

That is not exactly true.

The reason the limit in SW Louisiana was lowered, had nothing to do with the fish population, any change in the habitat or any recommendation from the LDWF. Big Lake trout fishing and the trout population were doing just fine before the change was made.

Why was the limit lowered.......because some of the CCA members and a few Big Lake guides "THOUGHT" there was too much fishing pressure and convienced the LDWF that it would be good "Pro-active" move to make the change......before there was a problem. This made all the supporters "FEEL GOOD" that they had "SAVED" the trout in Big Lake.

I think this same reasioning should apply to ALL of Louisiana. Why not!!!

We have a winner!!!
Old 06-09-2009, 02:53 PM
Banned

i think big lake has it's own set of problems, too many guides, the invention of the bay boat, lower limits offshore & higher fuel = more inshore fisherman.......

but if these numbers are true, the 25 fish limit isn't hurting the rest of the state...

Last year Louisiana's estimated 443,000 licensed saltwater anglers brought home10.8 million speckled trout weighing a total of 11.6 million pounds. That total has been topped only once - in 2006 when the figures were 13.2 million fish at 14.4 million pounds.Those numbers are even more astounding when you consider they came the year after hurricanes Katrina and Rita, a period when many anglers had still not returned to the water.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
We have a winner!!!

Gerald seems like a very knowledgable guy. I'd go with what he says..
Old 06-09-2009, 02:56 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,003

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post
Gerald seems like a very knowledgable guy. I'd go with what he says..
Me too because he is right. The biologists concluded the fishery was fine and did not warrant a lower limit.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

I think it should be against the law to corker soak or use live or dead bait!!!! Talk about would thin the number of boats quickly!!!!! Thats what I want to see....Outlaw live bait make Big Lake artificial only!!! Then see who the real fisherman are!!!!