SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 06-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

i dont know why people keep big trout. they dont taste good at all, sure if its like a 12 lber mount that sucker!
i can understand that after a fight most big trout tend to be "tired and almost dead" but let em chill in the water for awhile then they swim off. If you aint got the patience to do this, then you shouldn't be fishing.

wasn't trout considered a commercial fish a few yrs back? and people could like gill net them? if so that would prolly be the reason trout fishing isn't like it used to be
Old 06-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
I think it should be against the law to corker soak or use live or dead bait!!!! Talk about would thin the number of boats quickly!!!!! Thats what I want to see....Outlaw live bait make Big Lake artificial only!!! Then see who the real fisherman are!!!!

I would'nt close all fishing with live bait....i would make it seasons. artificial year long. but livies a certain time of the year.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 813

Gill net wars were late 80's I beleive. Stories I heard are unreal!

W....on no live bait. Go billfishing in Mexico, they won't let you use it over there! Outlawed for americans....go figure
Old 06-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Banned

more rules more regulations, blah blah blah

just fish! LDWF's regulations already takes half the fun out of it
Old 06-09-2009, 03:26 PM
Flounder

Cash: 673

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrost View Post
Has alot to do with storms/coastal eroision. Loss of marshes & habitat for shrimp, crabs, etc.

All the marshes Rita & Ike killed.....fishing could take a hit in the next couple of years.
I agree with this. No bait = No Fish. Just to let everyone know, the Army Corp of Engineers has a marsh creation/rebuilding job on the board to rebuild Black Lakes Marshes. It is going to be 50 million $ job.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Great White

i wish they would open all marshes with in a certain distance of a public accesible waterway to open with public. sorry kinda off topic but yall mentioned marshes..
Old 06-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Question for anyone that knows the History......?

When were the wiers built on the South and East side of Big Lake?

I use to work with a guy that would talk about all the ice chest full of Trout that he and is Dad would catch before the wiers were built.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,552

When the wiers were busted open after Rita you could catch trout behind the weirs.
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 06-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

I think weirs were put in around early 80s
Old 06-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,552

Their purpose is to restrict saltwater intrusion...correct me if i'm wrong.
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 06-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 811

overflowing of marshes i think. idk i wasnt born yet
Old 06-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

I like a 25 trout limit. I dont get to fish nearly as much as I would like so when I do, the more I can bring home the better. now 14" minimum I wouldnt be totally against that but Id prolly never help push for it
Old 06-09-2009, 05:34 PM
Flounder

Cash: 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrost View Post
Borrowing this from another post.....always an interesting topic.

What is everyone's opinion on LA Trout Limits? Most of TX is 10 or 5. LA still has the most liberal limits of any state on Gulf Coast.

What about size minimums? Ours is 12 inches, TX is 14 inches.

I for one would like to see minimum raised to 14 inches, to increase the spawn. Science has proven that this is the best spawning size for trout.

I'm ok with 15 per person limit (calcasieu limit), 25 on the east side is just silly, but would rather see it at 10. Still plenty of meat to take home. Nobody says you have to stop catching at 10, just can't keep em. Lots more people on the water this day & age than what there used to be.

Thats my 2 cents.......blast away!
texas is 15in on the trout.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:15 PM
Redfish

Cash: 695

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
Question for anyone that knows the History......?

When were the wiers built on the South and East side of Big Lake?

I use to work with a guy that would talk about all the ice chest full of Trout that he and is Dad would catch before the wiers were built.

Ive heard of truck beds full of trout!
Old 06-09-2009, 08:02 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,833

Quote:
I think it should be against the law to corker soak or use live or dead bait!!!! Talk about would thin the number of boats quickly!!!!! Thats what I want to see....Outlaw live bait make Big Lake artificial only!!! Then see who the real fisherman are!!!!
I don't know about this...When my kids were too young to accurately work an artificial bait we had alot of fun watching them catch fish on live or fresh bait...Maybe amend it for the kids...
Old 06-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Redfish

Cash: 736
Default Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post
i wish they would open all marshes with in a certain distance of a public accesible waterway to open with public. sorry kinda off topic but yall mentioned marshes..
Amen Fool. when the weirs were busted open in 2005 there were more trout than I had ever seen on the lake. There were groups of hundreds of birds working throughout the lake months after the hole had busted open.

That marsh is the heart of Big Lake when it was wide open and bait was freeflowing in and out year round it created the largest influx of shrimp and overall baitfish I had seen. Then the small schooling trout followed--
Old 06-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Banned

W I like that response about live bait. I too think it should be against the law no matter where you fish in LA. Or if you are able to use it you can from JULY to AUG. Funny thing most that use live bait use it year round even during the winter and they have $500 or so of plastic in their tackle bag. I guess that is for show!
Old 06-09-2009, 08:55 PM
Flounder

Cash: 648

I think that the 14" min. But a 25' limit would work for the whole state. I noticed that last year the big trout for the whole state came out if a lake off vermillion bay. They have a 12" limit and 25 fish per day and also they have plenty of boats out their as well. Still the big fish came out of a lake that is off borders vermillion bay. It is a perpelexing question and like a-holes everyone has one. I think in the future you will see that the 14" size and 15 per day will not catch on west of the mermentau river.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:21 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,503

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAKEDLAKE View Post
I think that the 14" min. But a 25' limit would work for the whole state. I noticed that last year the big trout for the whole state came out if a lake off vermillion bay. They have a 12" limit and 25 fish per day and also they have plenty of boats out their as well. Still the big fish came out of a lake that is off borders vermillion bay. It is a perpelexing question and like a-holes everyone has one. I think in the future you will see that the 14" size and 15 per day will not catch on west of the mermentau river.
vermillion bay is really a decent place to fish. fishing usually doesnt pick up untill late summer but if you have the right boat you can run out to the rigs and clean up on some serious trout. i talked to one of my buddies and they went out to a rig the other day and caught 150 between 2-5 pounds. trout are in the bay all year long you just need to know where to go. the only potlicking you see is around the reefs. if you fish the bay long enough you find some sweet spots and may never see a boat all day except at the landing. now come september its a different story. someones going to get hurt out there its just a matter of time. them people from biglake must migrate early fall. lol
Old 06-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:

QUESTION.

Did you or did you not, at anytime, use live shrimp on Big Lake this past weekend?

Don't lie!