SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CalcasieuExtremeRods

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion

Freshwater Fishing Discussion For discussion of everything freshwater!

Old 12-29-2014, 10:08 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 576
Default Brush Piles

How many of you go the extra mile sinking brush piles?? when do you sink them and whats your favorite? wood,plastic or trees
Old 12-29-2014, 10:21 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

thinking about sinking some xmas trees this year.. We have sank them in the past but before I had any say so as to where to sink them. I only got to choose one spot to sink, out of about 5 spots and my one spot produced the best, mainly because the other part of the group was trying to get fish to move to a spot that fish probably hardly ever frequent. So my advice is when you sink them, sink them near a spot that already has fish. It'll just give them that much more reason to stick around. I have a few good trees that always seem to produce, so I'm just going to throw my trees on the outskirts in a little deeper water.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:47 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,414

I sink them all the time. I cut cypress and willow limbs with a y shaped trunk and push them in the mud in 10 fow with a push pole. No weight needed. We fill the deck of a party barge per pile. We put them in a large circle with an opening in the center. Trust me its worth the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140628_170052.jpgcopy.jpg (239.9 KB, 423 views)
Old 12-29-2014, 09:09 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,414

I forgot to answer some of your questions. We put out piles all year long. We put the piles in areas we know they like to spawn. We put them in 10 fow out from the spawn banks. This way we catch the smaller males on the bank and the big females staging in the deeper water and when it gets hot in the middle of the summer. We also put them in eddy areas of rivers and bayous on the inside of bends just like places to put a duck blind. The willow piles we refresh every year and we have cypress piles that are still producing that have to be 5 plus years old. Look at the branches in the photo. Notice the bottom of the y is at least 3ft long. When its pushed into the mud its anchored and isn't going anywhere. I put around 20 or more on laccassine bayou last summer. You can see where I cut the limbs but the piles are no where near where they were cut....lol. On a slow day I can catch one or 2 per pile and trust me it adds up. Just remember when you hear a boat coming move away from your pile. Don't mark the area just use a gps. I know I have a few I forgot about before I started marking them on gps.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:24 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,807

Now what about sinking Xmas trees in deep water, do you want them standing up or does it matter?
Old 12-31-2014, 12:20 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 576

good advice saute86.I will be sinking some plastic/pvc..I will be using 5ft tall 4in PVC drain pipe with the holes drilled in them which I will have to drill more holes then I will insert 2ft long plastic 1/2 in tubing into the holes making tree branches..I will post results in the future..I will be looking for some willows to.Thanks for the advice
Old 01-15-2015, 09:25 PM
Flounder

Cash: 713

I do Christmas trees. Put a few nails in the bottom of the tree, then put the bottom in a plant pot and pour concrete. The tree will stand up straight for a few days then sink horizontal. My favorite spot is along dropoffs in 6-15 feet of water. Makes a good year-round location.