SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:44 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

yea we are surrounded by big oaks with branches hanging. 4 year old house built under the oaks.
looks good and keeps cool all day but it does attract bugs
Old 08-06-2014, 07:02 AM
Redfish

Cash: 710

Look on the website do my own pest control.com. I used the termidor sc for my ant problem which is also a termite chemical. It wiped them out. It also has a long term residual which will keep them out.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:31 AM
Red Snapper

ants are all gone and havent returned. didnt even have time for them to get in the bait traps. sprayed the entire house with bitherin.... even on the roof.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:01 PM
Redfish

Cash: 837

Brother it sounds like those were not fire ants. Look up Rasberry Crazy ants. These are very invasive and while you may have killed what was in the house, it did not kill the colony. You NEED to call an exterminator to come out. Crazy ants are invading south louisiana (from florida and texas) and the are impossible to kill out, only can control them. Once they get into house, you have a lot of trouble on your hands. They are attracted to electrical and are known to short out appliances in the house and cause fires. I don't have a fire ant problem anymore because they even kill them!! I want my fire ants back! These things multiply like crazy so as soon as you start seeing them again, call the exterminator and they can try some experimental pesticides. Granules do not work.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:48 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,258

There is a new granule that works on crazy ants. We sell it at our nursery.Its actually a bait. I found it at one of our nursery trade shows. They have been working on it a few years now and seems to do the trick. The cold winter we just had, did a good job of killing large amounts of them. They dont build nests in the ground like fire ants, instead have nests under things laying on the ground or in mulch etc. They have multiple queens per nest. They have found that they like protein based baits rather than sugar typ baits like most other ants go for.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:28 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck-chaser View Post
There is a new granule that works on crazy ants. We sell it at our nursery.Its actually a bait. I found it at one of our nursery trade shows. They have been working on it a few years now and seems to do the trick. The cold winter we just had, did a good job of killing large amounts of them. They dont build nests in the ground like fire ants, instead have nests under things laying on the ground or in mulch etc. They have multiple queens per nest. They have found that they like protein based baits rather than sugar typ baits like most other ants go for.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!! You are right about the winter, they disappeared for about 5 months. I'm coming to get some granules!! Do I broadcast the yard? I have 3/4 acre, how much do I need? Does it work for a couple of months or so?
Old 08-15-2014, 11:14 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,710

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck-chaser View Post
Where is your nursery. Bc. I'm tired of these ants too. blew the leave off the roof the other day and the ants where all under there. Cut s some branches off the live oak that where hanging close to the roof. They had ants all over the branches. Also the ants arc climbing up my aluminum post for my boat shed looks like they are might be making a mount inside the post from the top
Old 08-16-2014, 11:57 AM
Ling

@ Alpha, we are on the service road between avery island rd and Lewis street along hwy 90. @ Jrock there is different application rates for this,but one 16 oz container will generally treat about 1500 sq. ft. This along with talstar and termidor is an unbeatable combination for just about everything.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:13 PM
Redfish

Thank, you! I"ll see you this week!
Old 08-18-2014, 05:24 PM
Flounder

Cash: 582

just lost a central air unit down in Venice to ants. Light switches, fluorescent lights, even the toaster has been inundated... little black ants. We've sprayed and spread grannuals till we're blue in the face. suckers are still all over.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:57 PM
Redfish

Granules for bugs and fire ants don't work. Will be picking up some from speck chaser this week. In the mean time you need to call a pest contol and let them know it's crazy ants. I had them bad last year although not in house. Exterminator used 55 gallons treating my yard with experimental product and knocked them out for about 6 weeks. Had to come back and do again. They were gone thru the winter. Good luck
Old 08-19-2014, 07:00 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by irokcj5 View Post
Brother it sounds like those were not fire ants. Look up Rasberry Crazy ants. These are very invasive and while you may have killed what was in the house, it did not kill the colony. You NEED to call an exterminator to come out. Crazy ants are invading south louisiana (from florida and texas) and the are impossible to kill out, only can control them. Once they get into house, you have a lot of trouble on your hands. They are attracted to electrical and are known to short out appliances in the house and cause fires. I don't have a fire ant problem anymore because they even kill them!! I want my fire ants back! These things multiply like crazy so as soon as you start seeing them again, call the exterminator and they can try some experimental pesticides. Granules do not work.
well looks like ill have nightmares now! haha
ill try to take a pic of one if i see one. i seen a dead pile of them outside in the flower bed where i sprayed. they were crawling out of the roots of a myrtle and had a short trail to a pile of dead ones haha. i think the poison is stopping them in a way but if youre right about what they are i will continue to hit them while theyre down.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:05 AM
Red Snapper

i think youre 100% right on the electrical idea. they came in right next to the ac unit which has the most power outside and they showed up coming out of a wall socket. they look very similar to fire ants if so. i need to look at photos to compare, if there is a difference.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:31 AM
Redfish

Cash: 634

Hit every crack and crevice outside with Drione or Delta dust. You can even apply inside...just make sure to watch out for kids and pets. This stuff kills all insects and is a great supplement when spraying insecticides.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:55 PM
Redfish

Crazy ants are tiny, fast, and don't follow straight line....look like fast drunk ants.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:05 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,607

I have been having issues with ants around and in my home for the last 3 weeks. Had been blaming it on all of the rain we have been getting.....before I read this thread. Starting to be concerned that I have been invaded by these "crazy" ants too.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:55 PM
Ling

If you look close, they are kinda "hairy" looking, antennas are slightly longer,they dont usually bite either. They are very bad for electrical things. When one gets zapped with electricity, they send out a scent or alarm and more keep piling on till your electrical device shorts out. In Houston Tx. they have spent over a million dollars on treatments to keep them out of the big power plants. When they invade an area, they will outforage other ants,and literally eat all the instects all the way up to baby birds. Had some experts tell me they had found some places in the woods where there was bunches of these ants and in the evening everything was silent. No crickets chirping or nothing.