SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

Old 04-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Banned

all right screw all this, let's have a "shoot" off at sherburne.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338
Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaAngler View Post
Lol. I just wanna see this 1.25" group at 500 yds
Old 04-09-2010, 11:51 PM
Banned

i'd probably rather have a model 70 winchester with the mauser type claw extractor than a browning

they're both made by FN
Old 04-09-2010, 11:57 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Don't make me go out there and out shoot Yuo with my open sights again bruce........
Old 04-10-2010, 12:09 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
Don't make me go out there and out shoot Yuo with my open sights again bruce........
Buzz posting is drunk posting

Old 04-10-2010, 12:11 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmaster View Post
Buzz posting is drunk posting

Hell boy, ill call you out too......ask Bruce how I shoot with open sights........bring it on kid........ill shoot your one pube off at 100 yrds
Old 04-10-2010, 12:21 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
Hell boy, ill call you out too......ask Bruce how I shoot with open sights........bring it on kid........ill shoot your one pube off at 100 yrds
LMAO

I'll let you try that out on Bruce first
Old 04-10-2010, 01:43 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaAngler View Post
Not good enough. For a real shootoff you need at least a 300yd range.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:47 AM
Sand Trout

LOL, my wife can shoot 1" groups at 100 yards with her Mossberg .270
kinda blew me away, she stopped shooting the shoot-n-see targets and started shooting the 1" black dots that cover your previous holes!
Old 04-10-2010, 07:57 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBroussard83 View Post
Not good enough. For a real shootoff you need at least a 300yd range.
They have a 300 yard range I shoot at in eunice but u have to be a member!
Old 04-10-2010, 09:07 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 653

To keep on point, any Browning you chose you will like. I really like the short bolt throw. It's nice when you're shooting 40-50 rounds a day. It saves you from knuckle banging your optics all day. Remmy's make some nice rifles also. Lots of shooters on my team use them. I really cant knock them. They are cheaper to build and have a reasonably good frame to start with.
A bolt .270 will have a good bit of recoil. Maybe too much for an 11/yo. Just my opinion. Try someone's 270 ad see if he likes it. For you, recoil is no prob on that round. Then theres the B.O.S.S. It will kick like a .223 and sound like a howitzer. The muzzle blast alone can cause a flinch. But, with hearing protection should be no problem. Try it out.

Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren View Post
Lol. I just wanna see this 1.25" group at 500 yds
Im at work for another two weeks. When I get back I have a shoot with some S.R.T. guys in Florida. Ill record some shot groups and have the range master verify.

I say we make a wager. You name the terms and how to prove these shot groups (within reason) and I'll come up with the payment terms. Let, me know if your game.

Heres some things I'll need to get the group.
I need at least 12-14 shots to gauge my crosswinds. Also, maybe a few more depending on the temp. I will be shooting from a bipod with a rear sandbag (for rear support from my shoulder, not to isolate the rifle) and a spotter calling in my shots. That about covers it.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:14 AM
Ling

Default no thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwane View Post
To keep on point, any Browning you chose you will like. I really like the short bolt throw. It's nice when you're shooting 40-50 rounds a day. It saves you from knuckle banging your optics all day. Remmy's make some nice rifles also. Lots of shooters on my team use them. I really cant knock them. They are cheaper to build and have a reasonably good frame to start with.
A bolt .270 will have a good bit of recoil. Maybe too much for an 11/yo. Just my opinion. Try someone's 270 ad see if he likes it. For you, recoil is no prob on that round. Then theres the B.O.S.S. It will kick like a .223 and sound like a howitzer. The muzzle blast alone can cause a flinch. But, with hearing protection should be no problem. Try it out.

Hope this helps

Im at work for another two weeks. When I get back I have a shoot with some S.R.T. guys in Florida. Ill record some shot groups and have the range master verify.

I say we make a wager. You name the terms and how to prove these shot groups (within reason) and I'll come up with the payment terms. Let, me know if your game.

Heres some things I'll need to get the group.
I need at least 12-14 shots to gauge my crosswinds. Also, maybe a few more depending on the temp. I will be shooting from a bipod with a rear sandbag (for rear support from my shoulder, not to isolate the rifle) and a spotter calling in my shots. That about covers it.
Im not trying to bet you cant do it, Im just saying from my own experience and the responses from several competitive shooters is that to consistently shoot .25 moa with that rifle would be slim and none. It could be done but not likely. and being as I'm not a betting man on anything, I aint putting my money on it. I would just like to see it. and not just one 3 shot string. I'd like to see like 3 sets of 5 shot strings holding .25moa at 500yds cuz thats what makes your gun a 1/4 gun not a single 3 shot string. but from your responses you seem to already know that and have confidence that you can. I would just like to see it. and if you can then you need to start competing
Old 04-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Banned

jack my thread like a sumb #&^. Simmer down fellas. Its just a gun. Life is to short to turn my thread into a W pissin match. The Remington website says that the 700's start in the $700 and $900 range. I can get a new X bolt stainless stalker for $850 bare.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:50 PM
Ling

700 and 900? only 700s that Ive seen for that march are your 700p or 5R or other higher end 700s. most normal hunting 700s go for like 400-500 unless its just been that big of a price jump since I bought one
Old 04-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Sand Trout

Before you go out and buy anything for a kid, look at his/her build. In all my years of teaching and participating in shooting sports, I have seen 9 year olds that look like 5 year olds and some that look like 13 year olds. Every kid is different, but it is honestly better to start them out on a smaller caliber gun. ex. .243, 7mm-08.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren View Post
700 and 900? only 700s that Ive seen for that march are your 700p or 5R or other higher end 700s. most normal hunting 700s go for like 400-500 unless its just been that big of a price jump since I bought one

Go to the Rem website and look at the models of rifles. In the upper right side it will tell you the starting price.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Ling

Wow I cant believe that. That is nuts. Even on gunbroker they going for 700+. I cant believe they have gone up that much since I bought mine. When I was shopping for mine a lil over 10 years ago they were 1/2 that msrp. I bought mine slightly used at a pawn shop with a scope for 400 or maybe even 375 and a new one was like 500 i believe. In that case I guess go with which ever one suits you best cuz rem aint cheep no more. I mean heck I just bought my 700p with heavy barrel, hs stock, etc. for like $800, 3 years ago. I got somewhat of a deal on it but it was $900 in stores