SaltyCajun.com lake area banner

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 04-14-2012, 08:07 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,050
Default Rockefeller Refuge Update

According to LDWF website:

Rockefeller State Wildlife Refuge Temporarily Closing Joseph Harbor Boat Launch and East End Locks Road

Release Date: 04/13/2012

April 13, 2012– The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) announced today a $2.6 million project at Rockefeller State Wildlife Refuge that will replace the boat launch and bulkheads at Joseph Harbor and provide for improvements to East End Locks Road.
The work on East End Locks Road in Cameron Parish is currently underway and the road is now closed. Both the East End Locks boat launch and road will remain closed until the contractor completes construction activities along the road. The closed areas are three miles east of the refuge headquarters along Hwy. 82.
The Joseph Harbor boat launch will close on Wednesday, April 18 and remain closed until the construction project is completed in August 2012.
Price Lake Road, located along the refuge’s western boundary in Grand Chenier, La., will remain open to public recreation access until the normal December 1, 2012 closure. Additionally, a private boat ramp with launch fee, along the refuge’s eastern boundary near Pecan Island in Vermilion Parish, is open. All public access at the refuge is open from official sunrise to sunset.
Access to Rockefeller Refuge will be limited due to the Joseph Harbor and East End boat launch closures, but the entire Refuge will remain open during construction. The public can enter the refuge from the Gulf of Mexico to pursue recreational activities. Visitors are advised that only large seaworthy boats should be used to access the refuge from the Gulf.
For more information on Rockefeller State Wildlife Refuge, visit the LDWF website at www.wlf.la.gov or call 337-491-2593
Old 04-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Should be real good after it opens back up being closed that long.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:10 PM
Redfish

Finally!!!! This is time up for replacing a new bulkhead/dock on a Joesph Harbor Boat Launch.. The launch has been EXTREMELY bad for long time... Looking forward to seeing a new look launch at Joesph Harbor in August.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:17 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,932

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedfishPoker View Post
Finally!!!! This is time up for replacing a new bulkhead/dock on a Joesph Harbor Boat Launch.. The launch has been EXTREMELY bad for long time... Looking forward to seeing a new look launch at Joesph Harbor in August.
Yeap same here, it needs it bad.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:25 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Sounds good, but why do it at the best time of year. Do it in the winter. Big dummies!!
Old 04-15-2012, 10:26 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 792
Hairout

yes, sorely needed, but why close both launches at the same time? Now, unless we put in at Rollover, go all the way to the gulf and come back into the West side, there is no way to hit the weirs from either the East side or the West side. Doesn't make sense to me, but perhaps I'm missing something.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:23 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post
Sounds good, but why do it at the best time of year. Do it in the winter. Big dummies!!
I'm with you, that's the best time shrimping and crabing is good.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 978

look at it on the bright side should be better fishing when it opens back up and maybe even bigger fish
Old 04-15-2012, 03:36 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

When does shrimp open?
Old 04-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
When does shrimp open?
Sometime in may usually....rollover is going to be stupid packed. Can always hit marsh island or redfish point for shrimp and crabs.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Ill drive around. Nobody will be on that side
Old 04-15-2012, 06:28 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,009

It's rather absurd that they are going to shut down all the launches at one time at the rock. Why not leave the west side launch open until the east side launch is complete. Once east is complete then west launch can be worked on. Prime time of the year to be doing this, why not do this during the winter?? Wonder if they'll temporarily let us use their launch at refuge headquarters--I'm not holding my breath for that one.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:37 PM
Ling

Cash: 562

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasdad View Post
It's rather absurd that they are going to shut down all the launches at one time at the rock. Why not leave the west side launch open until the east side launch is complete. Once east is complete then west launch can be worked on. Prime time of the year to be doing this, why not do this during the winter?? Wonder if they'll temporarily let us use their launch at refuge headquarters--I'm not holding my breath for that one.
That aint gonna happen lol. Screw it let em close it all summer i fish it durin winter anyways.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:10 PM
Red Snapper

I'm sure the game wardens going to be watching.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:00 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasdad View Post
Your tax dollars at work.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:43 PM
Redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
When does shrimp open?
LWDF will announce to set the opening dates for the 2012 Spring Inshore Shrimp Season at the meeting to be held on May 3rd.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Tripletail

Headknocker

Gentlemen: I suggest we start bombarding our state reps with complaints. (No use in calling your congressman, they'll just refer you to your state rep) I just did so and I mentioned the possibility of the public usage of the launch at the refuge HQ temporarily. Numbers count so if this is important to you, we'd better jump on the horn, email, etc. to get something going.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:06 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

The refuge is still OPEN, just got to get to it from other areas. I don't see this as a bad thing, going to improve things there.

Rockefeller is NOT funded thru public money, there is an endowment from the Rockefeller family and royalties on oil/gas leases which is why Rockefeller has great equipment to work with
Old 04-16-2012, 12:03 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
The refuge is still OPEN, just got to get to it from other areas. I don't see this as a bad thing, going to improve things there.

Rockefeller is NOT funded thru public money, there is an endowment from the Rockefeller family and royalties on oil/gas leases which is why Rockefeller has great equipment to work with
Yes, you will still be able to access Price Lake Rd overland, but it is effectively closed to boat traffic. Rollover landing is not an alternative because there is almost no parking and besides that, you will have to go out to the gulf, a very unsafe place for small boats which is the main type of boats used at this refuge. Yes, it does need the improvements, but there is a better way to do this (see other suggestions above).
Old 04-16-2012, 12:07 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

I think most people are happy with the updates just not happy with the time of year they chose to do it. Im fine with it, its not like it will be closed forever, theres always next year.