SaltyCajun.com lake area banner

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 03-19-2015, 11:42 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFishKiller View Post
Hey, no BS though, if somebody wants to PM me with a legit list of concerns and questions y'all want brought up to CCA I'll make sure I'm at the next meeting and bring it all up. they have a meeting every month. Don't get it twisted, I feel the same way a lot of you do about CCA, but instead of *****ing about on here, I'll go do it at their meeting. And if that don't do anything I'll tell em to all get F'ed and become a strictly bass fisherman. It's no sweat off my sack.

You're years behind us bud. We've all done it and tossed the towel. Good Luck!
Old 03-19-2015, 11:44 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
I've been reading these things for a long time on this board, and I can tell you, I've been to CCA meetings, AND heard these issues brought up. They get ignored. Plain and simple. They put together a whole "State of the Lake" meeting just to try and shut everyone up. To show everyone what OTHER agencies are doing, not what CCA is doing. Trust me, they have no hand in those things.
Annnndd weeeee allllll sayyyyyy. Amen.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:56 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
For somebody with a handle like MathGeek, you don't sound too smart ... You'd have to be an idiot to fish any waters the STAR is on and not be in tournament just for the simple fact that you might catch a tagged redfish and win a truck. If I only fished BL once a year I'd still be in the STAR, which in turn makes you a member of CCA. ... Truth is CCA came up with a genius plan to make tons of money for cheap. Nobody's gonna pass up a chance to win a truck doing something they already do and are gonna do even if there wasn't a tournament.
I am very good at math. Participating in the STAR is like buying a lottery ticket. Sure, you can't win if you don't play, but the only reason it raises a lot of money (that CCA spends in Texas) is because the costs of participation far exceed the value of the prizes.

Lotteries are nothing more than additional taxes for those who are bad at math.

The Boycott the S.T.A.R. movement had wide participation last year and was likely a contributing factor to CCA organizing the "State of the Lake" meeting last summer. It is also most likely the best chance we have to prevent CCA from getting behind new proposals for more restrictive regulations and to get them actually focusing conservation efforts on things that really matter in Louisiana.

I bet CCA would love comments to be restricted to private CCA meetings, but the fact is they pay a lot more attention when issues are aired openly at popular sites like SaltyCajun and Louisiana Sportsman, because open discussions hit them in the pocketbook.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:59 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

Quote:
Hey, no BS though, if somebody wants to PM me with a legit list of concerns and questions y'all want brought up to CCA I'll make sure I'm at the next meeting and bring it all up. they have a meeting every month. Don't get it twisted, I feel the same way a lot of you do about CCA, but instead of *****ing about on here, I'll go do it at their meeting. And if that don't do anything I'll tell em to all get F'ed and become a strictly bass fisherman. It's no sweat off my sack.
Dude we've been there and done that, in person. There are now new organizations forming. Don't sit here and say all we do is ***** and moan.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:01 PM
King Mackeral

If someone does find yourself in CCA company, you should ask why they spend so much money in TX and so little in LA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CCA Texas 2.jpg (65.4 KB, 265 views)
Old 03-19-2015, 12:24 PM
Flounder

Cash: 616

That's all good and well, and I understand where y'all are coming from. But to tell people not to do something because you were unsuccessful and those before you were unsuccessful is crazy talk to me. Sounds like a piss poor attitude to have. Sounds a lot like quitting. “Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.” – Dale Carnegie That quote is in no way a reference to anybody on this thread. Sounds to me like we would have a big group at every single meeting hollering the same thing. Guess it's just easier to do it on here, and discourage people who want to do the unthinkable and make waves at meetings held by the sinister group they call CCA.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:42 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
That's all good and well, and I understand where y'all are coming from. But to tell people not to do something because you were unsuccessful and those before you were unsuccessful is crazy talk to me. Sounds like a piss poor attitude to have. Sounds a lot like quitting. “Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.” – Dale Carnegie That quote is in no way a reference to anybody on this thread. Sounds to me like we would have a big group at every single meeting hollering the same thing. Guess it's just easier to do it on here, and discourage people who want to do the unthinkable and make waves at meetings held by the sinister group they call CCA.
Good luck bud. A few pointers that may have some influence on your success. Get some ball hugger khakis, a PFG shirt tucked in, a nautical flag belt, flip flops, frat strap for your shades, a fraternity symbol ankle tat, and most importantly have family with money.

Report back here when you save the coast. And while you're at it go take care of America's welfare problem and deficient school system.

But seriously Good Luck, report back and tell us how it goes.

P.S. you better take that profile pic of all those gar down. They'll put a tight limit on those too if they see that Pic!
Old 03-19-2015, 12:44 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,238

Quote:
Say you pay a mechanic to fix your car and he keeps coming back to you and asks for more money, are you going to keep giving it to him? I would imagine you wouldn't. Now say he was using your money to fix someone else car while yours is neglected. Would you be satisfied with this? I mean someones car is getting fixed? In the mean time you find out that the're no other mechanics that will fix your car in town. Will you keep giving money to him with the hopes he fixes your car?
Old 03-19-2015, 12:44 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Again, the people that are on here, "*****ing and moaning" as you would say, are the same ones that were at the State of the Lake meeting, ASKING QUESTIONS. CCA just prescribed to that Patches O'Houlihan philosophy of "Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive, and Dodge".

You can throw out "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" if you want, but that doesn't change anything. What is going to have to happen is an organization to counter CCA, because trying to change it from within does nothing.

What I love is people that say they don't agree with everything CCA does, but they still give them their money. So what don't they agree with? It must not be anything serious if they are still willing to give their money to them.

I would give my money to DU or the N W T F in a heartbeat, because they do good work in our state. Never will give another dime to CCA because they don't. They build a reef or two and say "hey, look what we did".

Got to organize something to counteract them. That is the only way to change anything.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:53 PM
Tripletail

Quote:

And here's a quote for You! "Don't tell me, SHOW me!"

We've all walked the walk and are talking the talk. Where were you at the state meetings, public meetings, and local chapter meetings?

Get off your couch and go take the walk and then come back and tell us how the cow eats the cabbage.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:00 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

State of the Lake

What we learned

Cameron water shed don't like salt and it never rains in there even though Lake Charles gets 20inchs of Rain
Cameron water shed Gets Zero

Oyster dredging ;
Since dredging oyster numbers have dropped off like ENRON stock but WLF said ; well we can't really blame it on oyster dredging yet
( if you saw that chart your jaw dropped for a few seconds

Dredging ; yes sir we drege out side if the jetties and just pump it back into the water so the slit just flows down channel and back in lake
( That woman was a freaken idiot )

What else did we learn ??
Old 03-19-2015, 01:01 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Again, the people that are on here, "*****ing and moaning" as you would say, are the same ones that were at the State of the Lake meeting, ASKING QUESTIONS. CCA just prescribed to that Patches O'Houlihan philosophy of "Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive, and Dodge".

You can throw out "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" if you want, but that doesn't change anything. What is going to have to happen is an organization to counter CCA, because trying to change it from within does nothing.

What I love is people that say they don't agree with everything CCA does, but they still give them their money. So what don't they agree with? It must not be anything serious if they are still willing to give their money to them.

I would give my money to DU or the N W T F in a heartbeat, because they do good work in our state. Never will give another dime to CCA because they don't. They build a reef or two and say "hey, look what we did".

Got to organize something to counteract them. That is the only way to change anything.
Can I get an Amen??
Old 03-19-2015, 01:06 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Here is the problem ; not one person who is a CCA sunshine pumper will come on this site and defend the CCA with facts

The last person to make that attemp was CCA Lake Charles Chapter President Raymond Little and he tuck his tail and has not logged back on since July of. 2014 !!

CCA has ZERO answer
CCA has tee times with "life time members only"
CCA is happy if Will Drost and HRG get there limit reductions with lack of proof or science !
"You know it's the right thing to do "
Old 03-19-2015, 01:08 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
State of the Lake

What we learned

Cameron water shed don't like salt and it never rains in there even though Lake Charles gets 20inchs of Rain

Oyster dredging ;
Since dredging oyster numbers have dropped off like ENRON stock but WLF said ; well we can't really blame it on oyster dredging yet

Dredging ; yes sir we drege out side if the jetties and just pump it back into the water so the slit just flows down channel and back in lake

That the biologists/scientists that actually track and maintain the data for the weir system have no control if it is open or closed. They just submit the info to a panel of people that then make the decision. And it just so happens that that panel has a vast interest in that marsh behind the weirs staying as fresh as possible.

I'm not saying the weirs should be open or closed more or less frequently, I am saying that it should be regulated by scientific data and analysis related to coastal erosion and aquatic habitat, not by a group of hillbilly landowners who favor a certain decision for a biased reason.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:08 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

BTW if I catch a Tagged Redfish Im going to eat that's sucker and enjoy the hell out of it !!

I work and can afford my own truck and boat !
Old 03-19-2015, 01:20 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
BTW if I catch a Tagged Redfish Im going to eat that's sucker and enjoy the hell out of it !!

I work and can afford my own truck and boat !
yep. I probably have a better chance of winning spending my $50 on lottery tickets than on a star ticket
Old 03-19-2015, 01:20 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Still want to make these shirts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (45.8 KB, 117 views)
Old 03-19-2015, 01:23 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickt87 View Post
That the biologists/scientists that actually track and maintain the data for the weir system have no control if it is open or closed. They just submit the info to a panel of people that then make the decision. And it just so happens that that panel has a vast interest in that marsh behind the weirs staying as fresh as possible.

I'm not saying the weirs should be open or closed more or less frequently, I am saying that it should be regulated by scientific data and analysis related to coastal erosion and aquatic habitat, not by a group of hillbilly landowners who favor a certain decision for a biased reason.
Let's not get on to this topic again. It has been knocked around enough. Plenty of information already floats around this forum on this topic. No use having another thread degrade into that.

All I will say is that there has been a lot of research on that Marsh, and there are certain people that know what needs to be done. Are those people the ones making the call? Not necessarily.

But again, CCA has nothing to do with that. It is an issue that fishermen have, and CCA does not get into it. Why? I don't know. You would think if fisherman have legitimate concerns about the operation of the weirs, an organization that is composed of fishermen would do something.

The thing is, the CCA is not a Fisherman's organization. It is a conservation organization composed of fisherman. A conservation organization who is supposed to be concerned about a particular resource, in this case, our coast and our fisheries. Their actions state otherwise.

Shouldn't a major concern of a fisheries organization, or any conservation organization, be the habitat of its representative species? DUs is, The N W T F's is. CCAs is not, or else they would be more concerned with the marshes that also constitute the estuary.

The fact is, CCA is a conservation organization that does not concern itself with two foci central to any legitimate conservation organization: scientifically-driven management decisions and habitat.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:23 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,834

Quote:
State of the Lake

What we learned

Oyster dredging ;

Ma'am what are we doing with the dredge material from this offshore dredge that never stops running?
Her: Well we dump it right next to the area we just dredged.
Ma'am, you don't think it is filling back in the channel you just dug out?
Her: No, we don't think so. The material is too light and fluffy to do anything else with.

Unless you have a bunch of money and want us to pump it onto your land. Please see north end of Black Lake

Old 03-19-2015, 01:24 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickt87 View Post

Following the State of the Lake meeting in July, some colleagues and I contacted Leigh Anne Sharp (who gave one of the weir talks) and requested the detailed CPRA weir opening data. The good people at CPRA took some time to compile the data for us in a spreadsheet format and review its accuracy, but by September, we had complete opening and closing data of every weir gate going back to 2012.

This data not only allowed us to correlate weir openings over that time period with our independent assessments of fish condition, it also allowed us to compare weir openings with salinity measurements and other scientific factors and hard data that purportedly go into the decision whether or not to open the weirs.

Assessment of the data makes it very clear that since CPRA took over weir operation in 2012, the weirs have been operated in accordance with the management plan and the best available scientific data.

There is a lot of anecdotal and circumstantial evidence to suggest that weir openings were not based on scientific data or established management principles prior to 2012, but we've had a good look at the hard data that shows that the weirs are being managed responsibly now and have been since 2012.

Progress in the area of weir openings now depends on lowering the salinity in the main lake to allow greater openings without allowing more salt back into the marsh. "W" is on top of this and efforts here should be much more productive that criticizing weir operation or sending $$$ to CCA:

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion: Calcasieu Salinity Control Fisheries Focus Group - SaltyCajun.com