SaltyCajun.com http://www.gclendingservices.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 06-13-2011, 01:47 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,104
Default Arrows. Suggestions?

I'm looking to buying some new arrows for the upcoming bow season. I'm divided between Carbon Express, Cabelas Stalker Extreme, and Gold Tips. I'm pulling 63lbs and 27 inches with FPS being in the 260-265 range mostly because my Walmart arrows aren't cut down. Or if anyone has any other suggestions. Don't want to spend more than 100$ and less than 50$. Thanks
Old 06-13-2011, 02:04 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

I shoot carbon xpress with my Mathews DXT and realy like them, I have family that shoots the gold tips and they like them. I try to stick with a pro shop for anything like this since they can make sure you are set up right unless you realy know what you are doin and I dont besides pickin it up aim and shoot, I fish, bow hunt, gun hunt and travel to much to deal with the little things.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:19 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
I shoot carbon xpress with my Mathews DXT and realy like them, I have family that shoots the gold tips and they like them. I try to stick with a pro shop for anything like this since they can make sure you are set up right unless you realy know what you are doin and I dont besides pickin it up aim and shoot, I fish, bow hunt, gun hunt and travel to much to deal with the little things.
I'm more partial to the Carbon Expresses so I think I will go ahead and get those in about a week. I bring my stuff to Bowie in Baton Rouge when I can. What broadheads do you shoot if you don't mind me asking?
Old 06-13-2011, 03:05 AM
Sailfish

I shoot the g5 carbon steal, easy to sharpen and no movin parts. I have a pack of rage 2 blade but dont like them or trust them, they ccome open when you try to nock them.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:12 AM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

carbon express with 100gr grim reapers. no looking back! just need a place to hunt now!
Old 06-13-2011, 07:06 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

I shoot Gold Tip's with Thunderheads, haven't bought into the whole mechanical broadhead thing yet, maybe next season.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:54 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

I don't like moving parts on my broadheads, I've been shootin Thunderheads for over 20 years......Thunderheads & Muzzy have been around for a looooooong time, that should tell ya something
Old 06-13-2011, 08:26 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

I shoot gold tips and tried mechanicals this year. Don't do it. I'm going back to my 100gr muzzys.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:01 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,003

Gold Tips have been great for me. Mechanicals are for folks who either don't know how to tune their bow or just won't tune it. I shoot G5 strikers!
Old 06-13-2011, 10:15 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
Gold Tips have been great for me. Mechanicals are for folks who either don't know how to tune their bow or just won't tune it. I shoot G5 strikers!
Old 06-13-2011, 11:33 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Aha! Thanks guys. I had some Thunderheads when I first got a bow and I liked them up until lost them somewhere in my domain. I think I will go ahead and buy some Carbon Expresses and tip em off with G5s.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:01 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,003

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post

People claim there broadheads won't fly with their field points so they switch to mechanicals rather than tuning their bow.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:13 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
People claim there broadheads won't fly with their field points so they switch to mechanicals rather than tuning their bow.
Yeh I have shot fixed all my life. First bow when I was about 7 y/o and my first broadheads were Thunderhead 85 grain. Shot those till I was in high school then started shooting muzzy 4 blade 90 grain. This past season I decided to give mechanical a try just to mess around and lost 2 deer with good shot placements. I went back to Muzzy and killed a deer that weekend with one.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron man View Post
Aha! Thanks guys. I had some Thunderheads when I first got a bow and I liked them up until lost them somewhere in my domain. I think I will go ahead and buy some Carbon Expresses and tip em off with G5s.
If you go with the g5 heads get the carbon steal and find you a good sharpening diamond stone or get the lansky sharpener. You can take and lay them on it and it will sharpen them like a razor and they are very strong. Last year i shot and hit a t-post and the blade held up and i resharpened it and it still flies strait, cant say the same for t-post
Old 06-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,717

Carbon Express Maxima 250's for your weight, and draw lenght. Ive shot Thunderheades for the last 20 years also, but have shot rage 2&3 blade also for about the last 5 years, and their is no comparison on how effective the rage can be if properly locked in and proper shot placement. Yes Thunderheads, and muzzys are fool proof and do a greast job with a well tuned bow, but ive seen the rage drop deer within 15ft. and dead in their tracks. In fact the furthest ive had one run on a good shot was about 50yds. they flat out work. Yes their is room for failure with more moving parts, but I belive if you take care of your equpiment check your blades when you knock your arrow, and take ethical kill shots youve got a winner. Ive been bow hunting since im 10 yrs old, and now going on 31 I've seen a lot of things go wrong real fast. Practice, and knowing your equipment inside in out will save you a lot of heartache, and long lost blood trails.

Last edited by Wide Open; 06-13-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:39 PM
Red Snapper

I don't exactly trust Rage's. I like my stuff to work right and not have any worrys or malfunctions when the time comes. I think I'm going to go ahead and buy some CEs when it gets the end of July.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:39 PM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

Quote:
thats right! if you want something that shoots like a practice tip use a grim reaper, I'm not a expert bowhunter, so I shoot mechanical broadheads plus I really never had anyone teach me anything about bow hunting other than how to aim.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:39 PM
Ling

I've got 2 bad experiences of what a mechanical will do shot at angle on a deer (one on video), not good .........& no doesn't happen all the time.

1st time........approx 120lb Doe 10 steps (maybe 7yds) I was approx 22' high, I shot & hit behind the shoulder at the top of the back along the outside edge of the backstrap.......PERFECT!!!!!!! You'd think The arrow hit it's mark then turned & came out just below the backstrap on the other side!!!!!!!!!! IT DID A U TURN!!!! The arrow actually went up on the exit side! Never even got close to vitals!!!!!!!Lost that one! Trailed forever with dog.

2nd time..........ON VIDEO!!!!, with a different type mechanical. 8pt approx 16" inside 165-170lbs quartering away at about 20 yds, arrow hit right behind back rib PERFECT!!!!!! You'd think! The arrow turned & came out the other side just in front of his hind quarter!!!!!!!!! IT DID A U TURN!!!! We watched this one in slow mo for 2 weeks straight & made me sick at my stomach every time!!!!!!!!

Now if you can imagine this....... 2 blade or three blade mechanical shot at a hard angle & the blades are in the right position when the tip goes in one blade will hit first & begin to open before the others & it's cutting through hair, flesh, muscle & sometimes bone before the other blade or blades or open or make contact which will make the backend of the arrow kick the opposite way!!!!!!!

I've killed my share with mechanicals (with some nasty entrance & exits!) & more of my share with fixed, after those 2 episodes you couldn't melt a mechanical & pour it on me! I've had my mishaps with fixed also, but mainly due to my fault. I've got over 70 whitetails under my belt with a bow, have hunted in some really awesome places over the years.

I have looked at the Rage, like the concept, not the same as the traditional mechanical, but just cant bring myself to do it!

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by wtretrievers; 06-13-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:35 AM
Red Snapper

I go by Micheal Scotts motto on The Office for hunting...KISS or KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID. I wonder how our ancestors killed deer without high strength carbon arrows or dual cam bows and 60 yard sights and scent killer and the 20 foot tree stands.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron man View Post
I go by Micheal Scotts motto on The Office for hunting...KISS or KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID. I wonder how our ancestors killed deer without high strength carbon arrows or dual cam bows and 60 yard sights and scent killer and the 20 foot tree stands.
It still ain't easy!!!!

You ever seen a fat indian???