SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion

Freshwater Fishing Discussion For discussion of everything freshwater!

Old 08-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,242
Default Fishing Old River

Anyone here have experience fishing Old River? I just moved my camp near there and was thinking about trying it out this weekend. I do know that the Mississippi river stage has a big influence on the fishing there. Right now the river is at 13' and falling. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-08-2013, 06:21 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Old river (Morganza) is cut off from Mississippi river at 15' on B.R. gauge.
Ball park should be good for bream and the button woods across from th landings should be good for sacs. Also the piers along the camp side or great for sacs this time of year. Pitch a Black / chartruse jig on 12 feet of line and let it fall. Rafts are good for bream in the shade w/ crickets . Bass are ??? white bass are ????
Old 08-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 1,758

It has been years since I fish over there. I use to go alot in the 96 - 99 . We caught alot of bream. We were not good at finding the sac a laits but other friends did. I can not think of the boat launch we use to go to. If you go right where the river goes straight or go to the right. In the curve. You can troll or cast a silver spoon and catch the bar fish. Good luck!
Old 08-08-2013, 09:35 PM
Flounder

Cash: 838

Crank baits for bass. Look for steep drop offs near points. The falling water current puts them in ambush mode
Old 08-30-2013, 01:38 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 503
Default any good report of fishing old river?

have you got out to the river yet? looking for good reports of bream fishing. Taking the kids out Monday and hopefully it will be a good experience for them.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 675

I can give you a report from my last trip there. You will not see another boat on the water. The perch will be insane plentiful. The view at daybreak with that lite fog/haze on the water, with the giant cypress trees as a backdrop, is one of the most beautiful scenes on the planet. Fish for the pa ta sa amongst the millions of cypress knees. This report might be a little old by now. My last trip there was probably around 1965.

Used to fish the Old River near Bordelonville when I was a kid. There was no road to the water. We would ride my grandfather's pristine, immaculate '51 Chevy pickup through the woods to get to the water. If the weather had been rainy prior to going, my grandfather would pay this farmer to follow us with his tractor and, he'd make arrangements for him to return at a prearranged time to come get us. In all of our years of fishing there, we ran into maybe 10-15 other fishermen TOTAL.

Never chased "green trout" back then. Strictly bream.

About 30 years ago, my uncle told me, right where we used to slide the homemade plywood bateaux in, there was a concrete parking lot that would accommodate several hundred vehicles! And, that bass boats run 80mph all over the place. That news tore my heart wide open! That was an unspoiled paradise. I don't think I ever saw more than a mile in each direction of where we put-in. We paddled everywhere we went.

It was like a park under the canopy of those giant hardwoods. We'd actually have family reunions in the woods. Frying our catch right on the shore. And, of course, every aunt would have her "special dish" to add to the feast. Seems like
a thousand years ago.

Please forgive an old man for the pleasure of remembering some fabulous times.

Anyone know how to correctly spell the Cajun word for perch "Pa ta sa".