SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:38 PM
Flounder

Cash: 608
Default Crawfish boil prepration "purging"

Ok folks figured I would share an experience I had with "purging" crawfish. I got the idea from a restaurant and have proven it works. So here you go... After purchasing your crawfish place them in a large tank. I used a kiddy pool from walmart the hard plastic kind. Naturally the more crawfish the bigger/more pool/tanks you need. Anyway, dump 2-3 sx in pool depending on size of pool and drill a few 1/2 inch holes around the top of pool w paddle bit or whatever. Fill pool up with water and run your water at a gallon every 6 mins if using tap water so not so expensive. Take your hose and time that bc it is fairly cruicial. Allow this to run 24 hours prior to boiling and its a guarantee that there will be no crap in vein and the fat will be bright yellow. Also I have a 3 acre pond at home so I stick a old bildge pump in my pond and pump into tank/pool and let it drain back to pond at a good rate. After 6 hours in pool the crawfish begin crapping and by 24 hours they will be done and flushed clean. Saltwater purging does not work. Yea it sounds like a lot of trouble but its really not. You purge your entire boil at one time.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:12 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

I'll keep that in mind when I have an extra 24 hours to boil a sack of crawfish.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:40 PM
Flounder

If you do you will always make extra time when having a boil. The next time I go this route I am going to do a test, I will run some at 12 hours and some at 24 to see the difference.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:43 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

WHY???????????????????????????????????
Old 04-01-2014, 02:49 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,009

I like your technique and now it is agreed upon by a recent scientific study that salt water purging does not work. I am rather skeptical about all of the fat being yellow after your method of purging, but I'm no crawfish scientist.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:54 PM
Redfish

Cash: 978

Anyway you can keep the crawfish alive for about 48 hours will work just like all living things, they will eventually have to poop. That sounds like a lot of work for a little poop that will boiled with a ton of seasoning.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:55 PM
Flounder

Well it was for me... And just overall cleaner. And WHY???????????? Bc I do not enjoy eating a bunch of crawfish ****. I figured out an easy way to prevent it so that's how I do it. If you like the gritty **** then don't take the advice. That is "WHY"!!!!
Old 04-01-2014, 03:07 PM
Flounder

Not much work at all you do the same amount of work by putting in ice chest and rinsing a sack at a time. This way you do 1-2-3 sacks at a time and walk away from it for a day. The running of water through the tank cleans the crawfish completely. In a pond for instance the water is not moving unless rain or a well but for the most part its stagnant. Also there is not an available food source and crawfish completely digest food intake in 16-18 hours. If its to much trouble then don't do it. As for me I have a good amount of time on my hands so I do it the right way. And no crawfish will not poop like that in 48 hours with out water. They are like a human and need food/water to survive. So when there is a food shortage they take in water which cleanses just like a human.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:10 PM
Flounder

And it just so happens one of the best restaurants that serve crawfish in SWLA does this the same exact way. Their set up is on a much larger scale as a small pool but they promise no **** in veins and the fat is consistently yellow and much cleaner all around crawfish. So I did it myself with same results and thought I would share the info.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:53 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,238

You just have to watch out. Chlorinated tap water will kill crawfish if you leave them in untreated water for too long.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:16 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman03 View Post
And it just so happens one of the best restaurants that serve crawfish in SWLA does this the same exact way. Their set up is on a much larger scale as a small pool but they promise no **** in veins and the fat is consistently yellow and much cleaner.

Just cause I'm curious. What is the best restaurant in SWLA that serves crawfish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2014, 04:33 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,926

Just eat them!!! Or pull the yellow off if you don't like it!!! Your no cool a.....!! A good salt bath and reince is all you need!!
Old 04-01-2014, 04:52 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post
Just cause I'm curious. What is the best restaurant in SWLA that serves crawfish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll take a guess and say Hawk's, since you can see the purging tanks as you go in.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:21 PM
Flounder

bmac is correct... I use pond water at my house there is a 3 acre pond and I just re-circulate. But tap water should not be an issue depending on levels of chlorine, if high yea it may be a problem. Hawks has the best I have ever eaten and it aint close for 2nd.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:24 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,939

Thats a great idea, thanks for sharing.

Clean crawfish is better then the s**t grit crawfish fo sho.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:15 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman03 View Post
bmac is correct... I use pond water at my house there is a 3 acre pond and I just re-circulate. But tap water should not be an issue depending on levels of chlorine, if high yea it may be a problem. Hawks has the best I have ever eaten and it aint close for 2nd.
I agree that hawks is very good but Cajun Claws in Abbeville is better.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:27 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjhooper82 View Post
I agree that hawks is very good but Cajun Claws in Abbeville is better.

Cajun Claws is the best I think
Old 04-01-2014, 11:10 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,440

I would think if your using tap water. There would not be much oxygen in the water. Most people just take the **** vein out when they eat them. LOL
Old 04-02-2014, 07:14 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
Just eat them!!! Or pull the yellow off if you don't like it!!! Your no cool a.....!! A good salt bath and reince is all you need!!
Adding salt has been proven NOT to do anything other than waste salt.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:19 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

I have a plan.

Day 1. Got to Wal-Mart and buy a small pool, drill some holes in it 3 inches from the top. Run a suction line from my front ditch (clear non chlorinated water) to the pool, attach a pump to it and a return line from the pool back to the ditch. Dump a sack or two or three of crawfish into the pool. Wait 24 hours

Day 2. Retrieve crawfish from pool and boil Crawfish, peel crawfish and take out poo vein eat.

Did I get it right?

Alternate plan.

Rinse crawfish with tap water, pick out the grass, pieces of bait, dead ones. Boil Crawfish, peel crawfish and take out poo vein eat.