SaltyCajun.com http://www.geaux-outdoors.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > Gardening & Farming Forum

Gardening & Farming Forum Use this forum to discuss Gardening and Farming.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:37 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852
Default help! brother inlaw bought a chinese tractor

brother inlaw bought a 2006 MTE 284 tractor and bought it without realizing its a Chinese tractor. he saw the Koyker name on the front end loader and thought that's was the tractor brand. now he realized he didn't know the brand but knew as long as it wasn't a massey or china tractor which he was advised to avoid, that he was ok with it if it ran ok.

this is what he bought for $6,000 even http://gulfport.craigslist.org/grd/4905379414.html

brother inlaw is not in great health (heart lung and back problems) and he drove all the way to Mississippi to buy it. it was falsely advertised as easy to find parts for locally and any tractor place works on them, so by the time he got there he wasn't feeling well and the guy showed him it ran and drove good and the buckets and bush hog worked well but said he had to go to work so buy it or leave but he had to go.

well he bought it and it does seam to be a 2006 tractor in pretty good condition but when he got home he found out the engine had been changed out and is a different engine from 1999 (forgot the brand) and its a Jinma 284 which is Chinese made tractor and nobody brother inlaw has called so far will work on them.

I told him its not the end of the world since everything does work except the gages and the radiator leaks but now he is asking me to find out:

where do people get parts for these things at reasonable prices? (other then circlegtractorparts.com or direct from china)

what "local" brand tractor parts (if any) can be swapped out if need be?

who can he bring it to that will work on it if need be?

brother inlaw lives up in Amite, LA

thanks for any help you can give

Last edited by keakar; 03-26-2015 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:39 PM
Red Snapper

by the way koyker is made in USA which is what he thought the tractor brand was so he wrongly thought the tractor was also made in the USA
Old 03-26-2015, 06:12 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,524

I think the first thing I would do is try calling the guy he bought it from, and ask him wether or not he replaced parts and where he got them from. Seems the tractor is built in China by Jinma to be sold in U.S. as MTE. Maybe try searching Jinma parts or MTE dealer? As far as working on it-forget the big names (JD, Case etc), probably any local mechanic that works on tractors. Good luck.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:51 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampman46 View Post
I think the first thing I would do is try calling the guy he bought it from, and ask him wether or not he replaced parts and where he got them from. Seems the tractor is built in China by Jinma to be sold in U.S. as MTE. Maybe try searching Jinma parts or MTE dealer? As far as working on it-forget the big names (JD, Case etc), probably any local mechanic that works on tractors. Good luck.
ya, that's the issue, the guy flat out lied to him. first off its a 2006 tractor but has a 1999 engine in it even though the guy said its all original and he told brother inlaw that any non brand specific shop would work on it and named a local shop in Gulfport he said works on them but when brother inlaw couldn't find anyone around amite willing to work on it he called the Gulfport shop to confirm they do work on them and they said they wouldn't touch it, take it somewhere else.

brother inlaw isn't physically able to do any repairs himself anymore so other then maint items and easy stuff like starters, alternators, filters and fluids, belts and hoses, he would need someone to work on it for him and so far everyone he called said they don't work on Chinese tractors so what the bleep is he supposed to do if he needs the clutch replaced or something like that.

it appears the Jinma tractors are fairly common with people looking for small tractors for small "just a few acres" lots so I was hoping someone here might know or have some idea of a small shop that might be willing to work on any brand tractor and not be so scared to touch a Chinese tractor. at this point, even if he has to trailer it 100 miles he just needs to know there is a place "somewhere" he can bring it too if need be.

I think the big issue why nobody wants to work on them is because there are no service manuals for these things and what they call a service manual is no help at all and more like a operators manual because it says and shows nothing about how to do any repairs. add to that they don't do any sort of warranty work on these things so there isn't even an "in house" repair manual or anything like that. I am pretty sure that's the problem most mechanics have with it is you cant go by the detailed service manual step by step instructions, you have to just use your brain and common sense to figure things out as you go.

personally I don't understand this and think it cowardly and stupid for any respectable mechanic to say he is too scared to work on a tractor just because it doesn't have an instruction manual. to me, as long as the customer is willing to take the risk of breaking something (since there is no other choice) then so should the mechanic.

Last edited by keakar; 03-27-2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:25 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 583

This place will work on them:

Tractors Plus Inc
1977 US-11 Picayune, MS 39466
(601) 798-0280

I have a Farm Pro with the same motor and I am about to order parts from this place that i found online, they seem to have everything for these types of tractors and motors.

https://affordabletractorsalesco.com/index.php

Good Luck
Old 03-27-2015, 12:35 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

personally I don't understand this and think it cowardly and stupid for any respectable mechanic to say he is too scared to work on a tractor just because it doesn't have an instruction manual. to me, as long as the customer is willing to take the risk of breaking something (since there is no other choice) then so should the mechanic.

There's more to it than what you think....It is not COWARDLY AND STUPID for a mechanic to refuse to work on something he knows you won't be satisfied with...I was a mechanic who worked diesel , hydraulic , and gas john deere , kubota , toro , and jacobson on a golf course and had guy's come in all the time with mowers and weedeaters they sat up all winter and thought you were a miracle worker to fix....So you get a 200.00 lawnmower that needs a carb that cost $80.00 and a new 2-$4.00 spark plug and a new blade and change the oil and they ***** cause you want $40.00 labor after you had to go thru the trouble of going thru the internet or sitting around making phone calls trying to find your parts and cleaning up all the crud to replace the parts you didn't take care of to start with....The mechanic ain't cowardly and stupid he just knows better....I can gaurantee you when it comes time for a new clutch or serious engine work it ain't gunna be cheap and it probly won't be easy for the mechanic to find parts.....BUY CHEAP,,,,,,GET CHEAP........
Old 03-27-2015, 03:33 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by seapro21 View Post
This place will work on them:

Tractors Plus Inc
1977 US-11 Picayune, MS 39466
(601) 798-0280

I have a Farm Pro with the same motor and I am about to order parts from this place that i found online, they seem to have everything for these types of tractors and motors.

https://affordabletractorsalesco.com/index.php

Good Luck
thank you so very much, he will be greatly relieved to get this info. i'll let him know this place works on Jinma tractors with Yang Dong motors in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil bubba View Post

There's more to it than what you think....It is not COWARDLY AND STUPID for a mechanic to refuse to work on something he knows you won't be satisfied with...I was a mechanic who worked diesel , hydraulic , and gas john deere , kubota , toro , and jacobson on a golf course and had guy's come in all the time with mowers and weedeaters they sat up all winter and thought you were a miracle worker to fix....So you get a 200.00 lawnmower that needs a carb that cost $80.00 and a new 2-$4.00 spark plug and a new blade and change the oil and they ***** cause you want $40.00 labor after you had to go thru the trouble of going thru the internet or sitting around making phone calls trying to find your parts and cleaning up all the crud to replace the parts you didn't take care of to start with....The mechanic ain't cowardly and stupid he just knows better....I can gaurantee you when it comes time for a new clutch or serious engine work it ain't gunna be cheap and it probly won't be easy for the mechanic to find parts.....BUY CHEAP,,,,,,GET CHEAP........
if he is willing to take the risk then why isn't the mechanic willing to do the work is all im saying. the parts are not hard to get, maybe not cheap or found local but they are gettable so as long as he has the parts in hand and he just needs someone to do the work but he, nor I, can find anyone to say they are willing to do the work even if the parts are given to them in hand.

Last edited by keakar; 03-27-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:55 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

What he's saying is it doesn't matter whether he is willing to take the chance or not, thts not a binding agreement. Unfortunately you can't take ppl at their word anymore. So him as a business owner takes down this engine and can't fix it or breaks something because he doesn't know about them then he has a lawsuit on his hands for messing something up that he never wanted to mess with to begin with. Risk vs reward and the reward isn't worth the risk in this case
Old 03-27-2015, 04:55 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren View Post
What he's saying is it doesn't matter whether he is willing to take the chance or not, thts not a binding agreement. Unfortunately you can't take ppl at their word anymore. So him as a business owner takes down this engine and can't fix it or breaks something because he doesn't know about them then he has a lawsuit on his hands for messing something up that he never wanted to mess with to begin with. Risk vs reward and the reward isn't worth the risk in this case
ahh, ok I see what your saying now. I wasn't looking at it from THAT perspective.

well if im willing to sign a release form or something, put it in writing he isn't responsible ...

I dunno, I guess people are just too damn sue happy these days and it ruins things for everybody

its just strange to see/hear a mechanic refuse to work on something just because of the brand is different
Old 03-27-2015, 04:57 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

has the thing broke down yet?
Old 03-27-2015, 07:55 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
ahh, ok I see what your saying now. I wasn't looking at it from THAT perspective.

well if im willing to sign a release form or something, put it in writing he isn't responsible ...

I dunno, I guess people are just too damn sue happy these days and it ruins things for everybody

its just strange to see/hear a mechanic refuse to work on something just because of the brand is different

From what your saying , you looking to fix something that aint broke...If I was told buy it now or else it would be or else...BUYER BEWARE...When you buy used research it first...A lot of reputable dealers won't fool with somebodies patch work....You stated the original tractor was one year and the motor was another....Thats a red flag at most dealerships...They won't let their mechanics touch it because chances are there are more problems to do the job rite and you are not going to be willing to put up....That doesn't mean they are cowards , that means they know better then to deal with you...They make a living just like everybody else...I done side work and I wouldn't touch anything till I fixed somebodies screw ups first and a lot of people can't handle that...They figure you screwing them when they already got the shaft from somebody else....keep it clean ,, maintain it ,,, and it should last a long time....
Old 03-28-2015, 01:40 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeddler View Post
has the thing broke down yet?
no but he said the clutch feels a little soft so he thinks it or at least the clutch springs, may need to be replaced in a year or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil bubba View Post
From what your saying , you looking to fix something that aint broke...If I was told buy it now or else it would be or else...BUYER BEWARE...When you buy used research it first...A lot of reputable dealers won't fool with somebodies patch work....You stated the original tractor was one year and the motor was another....Thats a red flag at most dealerships...They won't let their mechanics touch it because chances are there are more problems to do the job rite and you are not going to be willing to put up....That doesn't mean they are cowards , that means they know better then to deal with you...They make a living just like everybody else...I done side work and I wouldn't touch anything till I fixed somebodies screw ups first and a lot of people can't handle that...They figure you screwing them when they already got the shaft from somebody else....keep it clean ,, maintain it ,,, and it should last a long time....
no, he was calling shops just to see if they would do any work he might need done on the tractor. he was searching for a "place to go" for all his tractor repair needs and was repeatedly told over the phone just by the stigma of Chinese tractor he was SOL.

its the same buyers preparation you would do after buying an outboard is search around for where you might get repairs done "if" the need arose.

but I understand your point

luckily the info seapro21 gave above solves the problem, I gave brother inlaw the info and he now has a place to bring his tractor in for repairs when needed.

tractors are always breaking down so its never a matter of if you ever need a tractor repair place to use, you will always end up needing repairs on most of them fairly often.

Last edited by keakar; 03-28-2015 at 01:50 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 01:04 PM
Red Snapper

sorry if I offended any mechanics out there